Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mainerose

Fall Perennials?

mainerose
19 years ago

Most of my perennials bloom in the spring or summer, so my beds are starting to look a little sparse. I do have some mums (don't we all!) but would like to add some other late-bloomers. What are some of your favorite reliable fall plants?

Comments (9)

• CindyC
    19 years ago

I have asters, sedum, echinacea, heliopsis which are all blooming or getting ready to. And of course, mums :)

• chicken_lady
    19 years ago

All the previously mentioned as well as Gloriosa daisies, goldenrod (they have some really neat looking hybrids now), daylilies, boltonia..in pink and in white, Russian sage, Oriental lilies are in bud right now, ornamental grasses. My globe thistle are just coming into bloom, although during a "normal" summer they seem to bloom earlier than now? My perennial batchelor buttons (centuria montana) are starting a second round (I cut them back to the ground after first bloom when I saw new growth coming up from the base) Some of my roses are still sporadically blooming, Theresa Bugnet and Iceberg, mini rose Red Cascade is in it's full glory right now and will be covered till snowfall. Icicle pansies. I planted them last fall and they didn't do a thing, but they wintered over and have been blooming their hearts out for at least a month now! I'm gonna buy some more of them when they show up in the garden centers, probably next month. They have all kinds of colors now. And you have to get some fall blooming crocus! They bloom in Oct-Nov....I just love mine!

Cathy

• mikefrommaine
    19 years ago

Chelone(white and pink turtleheads),Eupatorium (Joe Pye Weed), New England Asters, Heliopsis(perennial sunflowers),Helenium (sneezeweed),Sanguisorba(Canadian Burnet),Boltonia

• mcgper1
    19 years ago

Asters are one of my favorites if I keep them deadheaded after bloom so as not to self seed. Sedums make a great fall display here. But for that fall interest into winter I really love the Grasses and some of their unusual seed head displays.

• bethee
    19 years ago

I was trying to find out where the garden swap is going to be near Brunswick, Maine. I have a hard time getting around this site and keep getting lost on it. HELP anyone. Steph emailed me but I cant find the post about it. Thanks.

• The_Dollmaker
    19 years ago

Bethee, from the Maine gardening forum you can toggle back and forth between the messages and the exchange, where the swap is being discussed. It was postponed to the 29th. I posted a direct link for you below.

For those that love N.E. asters. I adore them, they make clouds of blue all around the perimeter of my yard. The only thing you have to watch is, you might not want to let them grow near walkways or entrances because the bees really love them. I was out the other night when it was almost dark and still managed to bring in 2 bumblebees in my shirt. I don't know why I wasn't stung.

Here is a link that might be useful: swap thread

• The_Dollmaker
    19 years ago

Hey Mainerose, more than one landscaper has told me that any nursery's best sellers are -"whatever's in bloom". Many nurseries are still open now, so it might be fun to go around and see what's in bloom right now in the nurseries. Plus, their staffs are not as busy and they can answer your questions about sunlight, habits and care.

• mainerose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, Dollmaker---good idea. I'm heading for Augusta tomorrow so will hit Longfellows. UNfortuantely, some of my best suppliers are backyard-type nurseries which have shut down for the season :(

• mainesfwriter
    19 years ago

I visited Longfellow's today, specifically to buy some specialty crocuses. I came away with - what was in bloom, of course, from the perennials! :-) An Eva Cullum tall phlox, a Jacob Cline bee balm, and a Candy Stripe creeping phlox.

For fall bloom I depend mostly on my miniature roses. They love the cooler weather, and produce flowers like crazy.

Sponsored