Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_in_maine

Are your tomatoes slow coming?

Kathy_in_Maine
19 years ago

My tomato plants are doing wonderful, BUT the tomatoes are taking forever to ripen, usually we are starting to eat them by now and not even a sign of a somewhat ripe tomato. My plants seem to be behind schedule, anyone else have this problem? I suppose it's from the cool weather that we have had this year.

Comments (17)

• cybertrek
    19 years ago

Hi Kathy,

I also have no ripe tomatoes yet. I do have one Brandywine that is ripening and should be ready in the next few days. My plants are all big and loaded with fruit so I expect an overabundance starting within the next two weeks and lasting till frost. I've had some issues with blossom end rot, a little wilting and leaf curling, and what I think are some bacterial issues but overall the plants are healthy and vigorous. Last year I didn't have ripe fruit until almost the end of August and shortly after that the blight set in so I feel pretty good about this year so far. Next year I'm going to pull out all the stops and try to get ripe fruit before the end of July.

• veilchen
    19 years ago

No ripe tomatoes here. First one starting to turn yellow. Late this year.

• SilverQueen
    19 years ago

I inhaled a Sungold cherry tomato today while standing in my garden. There's an Early Girl I have my eye on that should be ready in a few days.

Silver Queen

• Kathy_in_Maine
    Original Author
    19 years ago

ahhhhh Sungold tomatoes are yummy! I am so jealous! I planted Sungold along with Brandywine, Big Beef and Potato Top tomatoes this year. I have some 'Matt's Wild Cherry' popping up from 2 years ago, and some tomatillos coming up from last year also. I never planted either but they self seeded themselves from previous years. I didn't bother with the paste tomatoes this year for canning, just planted the big yummy ones instead.

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

Sun Gold, Glacier and Sweet 100 started two weeks ago and are producing slowly but surely. Black Krim had a few ready over the weekend. Cherokee purple are close to having a few ripe. Green Zebra doesn't seem to be close yet. This cold weather is discouraging.

• maineman
    19 years ago

At last. We have a couple of Burpee Early Harvest Hybrid (seed from rack at Wal-Mart) that are red, but not picked yet. Maybe tomorrow.

MM

• gardengardengardenga
    19 years ago

I grow in a greenhouse and have tomatoes all year long...somehow, though, the tomatoes grown outside still seem to have more magic and heart in them.

NO, tomatoes ripe( outside yet,) here either.

• Kathy_in_Maine
    Original Author
    19 years ago

FINALLY!! They are starting to ripen. I saw the first 'big' one today almost ready for pickin. We have been eating sungold all week long, yummyyyyy. Almost time to get the canner out and the jars ready!

• sparrowhawk
    19 years ago

They are very slow this year, although we're experimenting with a couple of heirloom varieties this time around. We've already had 3 Cherokee Purples, and there's a Brandywine that looks like it will be ready in a few days.

If you've never tried the Cherokees, do yourself a favor and try it next year. Truly the sweetest, juiciest, most flavorful tomato I've ever enjoyed!

You won't see it in the stores mostly because it just doesn't transport well.

• Kathy_in_Maine
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I planted Brandywines for the first time this year and can't wait for them to ripen so that I can try one. I have heard that they are the best tasting tomato ever. Time will tell.....they are starting to ripen! yea!

• Billwoo
    18 years ago

I am in central NJ and I cant believe how big my sweet 100 plants have gottn. Plants are at least 10 feet high with green tomatoes and flowers from head to toe. I took a picture and will try to post

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Fred_in_Maine
    18 years ago

Nothing ripe in my Portland container garden. I started seeds indoors mid April. I didn't get anything planted until June 1. Tomatoes started to appear July 4. The plants are producing abundantly but nothing turning red yet. All in all as a first-time gardener I'm thrilled and I just can't wait to start tasting the fruits of my first ever effort at gardening.

Fred

• Cindy_T
    18 years ago

Fred, make sure you eat that first tomato before it ever gets as far as the kitchen! There is _nothing_ like the first ripe tomato of the season! Yum!!!

• maineflowergirl
    18 years ago

I started some Brandywine tomatoes from seed and I bought some small Celebrity tomato plants. Only ONE plant is just now developing buds. I hope August proves to be a good month for my tomatoes to get moving.

Joanie D.

• MaineDad
    18 years ago

Big green ones but nothing red yet...

MaineDad

• chelone
    18 years ago

YUP! we're STILL waiting for "vine ripened' fruit... but we're close... very close.

• seaweed
    18 years ago

I have had red, yellow and black cherry tomatoes for a couple of weeks and a few larger ones off an early girl.

I have allot of varieties of tomatoes planted, eighteen in all, one plant of each variety. Different people swapped me heritage tomatoes for other plants I had started.

The most interesting so far has been a black cherry that is delicious!

Sponsored