Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josie_2

White patches

josie_2
19 years ago

Help! I do not know what this is,but,I have 2 long patches of white stuff growing on new soil and some of it has started growing on a newly planted Potentilla mound.I have been watering this area too frequently as I almost killed the little bush before I re-read the watering instructions.I'm just starting out and want to be a serious gardener,and need your expert help so very much.Can you help me Please? Thanks Josie _2

Comments (6)

• Franklin66
    19 years ago

Hi Josie 2....your frequent watering has probably gotten alittle mold growing...let your plant dry out for a week or so...and see how the soil surface looks. Ya don't need to water much more then once a week if ya don't get a natural rain. A good general gardening book...and one on soil buildin' is a good way to start yourself in gardenin'...:-) if ya make a mistake or two...don't sweat it...just keep on keepin' on...:-) and this forum will be a big help to you also...Franklin

• josie_2
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Franklin,thank you for the advice.I'm glad its just mold.I'm going to dig it off and certainly cut way back on the watering.Will get some decent gardening books this weekend.Right now I have to move a huge mound of sandy dirt.I had put a lilac,some lily's and Dahlias on it.
    Then one evening I saw the tail end of a snake going into one of the holes in it!!!.I have transplanted all to a safe area.Regards Josie_2

• Grammie_ME
    19 years ago

I'm not a snake fan, but we coexist nicely because I'm certain that the snakes eat slugs. I live near you (Southport)in a coastal area and mulch religiously, prime conditions for slugs. The slug population declines noticibly in mid-June when the snakes appear.

• josie_2
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Grammie,I would'nt try to shoo one after my confrontation with a little black one at our other house.I tried to shoo one by clapping my hands to no avail.It just continued to sun bathe on a large rock.S-ooo I picked up a twig to point it away and it grabbed the end of it and would not let go.Of course my hand seemed to become paralized and the two of us were united for a good five minutes.When the brazen little snake decided to end the union I beat a hasty retreat into the house and never went into my snake area again.I was thinking it would have its father waiting for me next time.But you are right I never saw a slug in my garden.So far there are none to be seen here.Have been going to Southport lately to bring and fetch my grand-daughter from her first little job during school break.I live on a point on the Damariscotta river.

• The_Dollmaker
    19 years ago

Josie, I don't know if this makes it worse, it hasn't seemed to so far... but I sweep mine with a broom. It kind of mixes it in as opposed to pushing it off. It's quicker than digging it off. Like I said I don't know if it hurts the soil, I've only been gardening for 5 years. The mold I get is when I have been too generous with corn gluten meal.

• josie_2
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hello Dollmaker,I brushed the mold right away just like you said.Thank you for that great back saving tip.Regards Josie_2

Sponsored