Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franklin66

Tomatoes

Franklin66
19 years ago

Hi folks...does anyone on the forum raise tomatoes...or any other crop for that matter... for sale to the public? I'm lookin' for somethin' to raise on some of my land to make enough coin to pay my property taxes...without investing an arm and leg...:-) Franklin

Comments (5)

• The_Dollmaker
    19 years ago

Hey Franklin, how about pick-your-own berries? Or hayrides and a petting zoo? An orchard in Turner has even resorted to frisbee golf to bring in money. Anyway, us crafters lurk at craft sales and gift shops to see what people are buying. Would a technique like that work for you? Or what if you call the produce mgrs at the grocery stores and ask what they would be interested in buying. I know most of them want these huge amounts and uniformity that local gardeners can't do, but there is a Hannford's in Augusta that has a big organic department that might be local stuff. I know I started growing edamame for myself this year because you can't get them fresh in stores.

• Franklin66
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Dollmaker...I've been tossin' over in my mind all kinds of things to grow or make to make a few coins. I like growin' things so probably will stick with that idea. I like tomatoes and I think alot of other people do also...and think I can get into that without goin' broke in the process to get started. I have an acre or two in the back that I can use...trouble is there are trees in the way at present...:-) but it's south facing and protected by big tree wind brakes...and bein' on the York river will help to supply water. So this fall when things cool down I think some of the wood will be fire wood. Then if it isn't too muddy I'll rent an excavator and stump the land myself. I might even look around for a serious partner to go into it with me. Franklin

• veilchen
    19 years ago

How about the nearest farmer's market? I think the fee for ours in Saco is around $300 to set up shop for the whole season, May-Oct, Wednesday and Saturday mornings. They also charge a small fee by the day if you don't want to commit to twice/week all growing season.

With farmer's markets and organic produce becoming more and more popular, I think in order to make some good money, one has to find a niche. If all the other farmers are also selling tomatoes in July and August, your stand would be less lucrative.

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

I'm a market farmer. I belong to one market that opens once a week, participate in Senior Farm Share and have a stand here at the farm. I'm adding a new market next year.

x2 = two varities. I grow lettuces, peas x2, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, beet greens, spinach, chard, cabbage, cucumbers, pickling cucumbers, tomatoes x6, peppers x5, pumpkins x3, beans x4, radishes, summer squash x3, zucchini x2, winter squash x4-5, eggplant x2, tatsoi, bok choi, onions, garlic and corn x2.

More customers are going to market each year as they learn about pesticides, herbicides, unripe, not fresh vegetables in groceries, etc. We don't have meat growers at our market but one would probably do well as people do ask for chicken.

Selling to a store will most likely bring a lower price. Selling directly to the consumer gives the grower better money. It gives me the opportunity to meet the customer and spend part of a day with other growers who enjoy this as much as I do.

I've included a link to Maine Federation of Farmers Markets. There's a lot of information there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maine Federation of Farmers Markets

• The_Dollmaker
    19 years ago

I just heard a story on CNN headline news that there aren't enough heirloom tomatoes to fill demand right now. I couldn't find the story on their website, maybe it's too soon for it to be posted. So that's good news for you.