Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anne_marie_alb

Port Clyde/Belfast area.. need your suggestions

Anne_Marie_Alb
19 years ago

Hello, fellow Maine gardeners!

We will be taking a very short trip to Port Clyde and Belfast this week--from Wednesday to Saturday (much too short, I know, especially considering that 2 of these days will be mostly traveling). I would love to visit a special garden or nursery on our trip and would love some recommendations from you. I just read the thread 'best nurseries' and got some ideas (Fieldstones for example on our way back), but often these places don't register for me--can't tell if they will be on our way or not.

We spent about a week last year in the Belfast and Eastport area (We just LOVE Maine! wish it were closer to Albany). I visited one garden in Camden 'Merrysprings' and discovered plants I had never seen and that I'm growing now, such as the annual clary sage "Marble Arch".

Anyway, I would love to hear your suggestions. We would be going by way of Portland, Brunswick on the way up, then Belfast/Augusta on the way back. Thank you for any suggestions.

Happy gardening,

Anne-Marie

Comments (5)

• SilverQueen
    19 years ago

Anne Marie,

Are you saying you're traveling on the coastal route one north of Brunswick on the way up to Port Clyde, then down as far as Belfast on the way back?

If so, when you hit Searsport, just north of Belfast, you might want to follow the signs to Hidden Gardens nursery. It's probably ten minutes out of your way, but in my opinion, it's worth it. Their perennials are field grown, and I find they do very well. They might have some varieties you haven't seen yet.

Also, Surry Gardens in Surry, outside of Ellsworth on the Surry Road to Blue Hill, is a very popular nursery. I believe you can work your way over to the Stonington/Port Clyde area from there through some nice little towns.

Have fun. I hope the weather holds for your trip.

Silver Queen

• veilchen
    19 years ago

From Bath, you can take Rt. 209 down to Phippsburg and visit North Creek Farm, see what old roses are still in bloom.

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I found all these places on our map, and I have marked them. No doubt I'll try the Hidden Gardens Nursery the day before we leave (we are staying in Port Clyde the first night, then 2 nights in Belfast--where we are planning to visit a pottery artist in Swanville as well--maybe Fernwood Nursery?). We'll travel along Route 1 from Bath to Thomaston, probably, with maybe a few side tempting detours.
    Surry Gardens might be too much for this time, but .. for another LONGER visit.. North Creek Farm might be a possibility. I have always heard so many good things about Fieldstones Gardens near Augusta, that I'll have to talk my hubby into a final stop on our way back.
    Really looking forward to this trip, however short it might be! As long as it does not rain all the time, we'll be happy. Clouds, showers are fine.

Thank you for these great suggestions, thank you.. and I will report back to you in a week or so.

Anne-Marie

• maine_gardener
    19 years ago

Do stop at fieldstones it is very nice. My favorite so far.

• SilverQueen
    19 years ago

Anne-Marie,

Oops! Sorry, I was getting Port Clyde mixed up with Deer Isle. I guess it's because I love the Castine, Blue Hill, Stonington area so much. It's definately worth a visit if you have more time next trip. I think the weather forecast is good for your trip. Enjoy!

Silver Queen

Sponsored