Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverqueen_gw

What are you eating?

SilverQueen
19 years ago

I still have some beet greens, the summer squash has begun to produce, I'm now eating green beans, and I've been digging up the larger new potatoes from my plants. Sungold cherry tomatoes are beginning to blush yellow. It's a matter of days.

Silver Queen

Comments (9)

• veilchen
    19 years ago

Bush beans, zuchinni, patty pan squash, eggplant, a profusion of peppers, carrots. Lettuce bit the dust when it got hot. Sadly, no tomatoes yet. My 'Sophie's Choice' are just starting to show a tinge of yellow.

• The_Dollmaker
    19 years ago

Chives, scallions, garlic, pearl onions, herbs like oregano, thyme & dill. I am starting to see pods on my edamame, and I expect to harvest a few cherry tomatoes this week. I will have sweet potatoes in the fall.

• mainerose
    19 years ago

Bush green beans, radishes, carrots, lettuce, cucumbers, lots of basil and cilantro. No tomatos yet---too much rain and cool temps :(

• maineman
    19 years ago

Squash, eggplant, peppers, and seedless cucumbers. We picked an icebox watermelon but haven't cut it yet so we don't know its stage of ripeness. We got a late start on beans, which are just blooming.

Lots of large green tomatoes. We actually ate one as fried green tomato. Not too bad. But I think our fried green tomato recipe needs improvement. I am thinking thicker slices (and I prefer to remove the skin although my wife doesn't), some kind of batter, and maybe deep fat fry them.

Our cool cloudy weather is causing the tomatoes to be slow to ripen, although they seem to be growing nicely.

MM

• chicken_lady
    19 years ago

Cauliflower, cabbage, multiple cuttings off of broccoli, swiss chard, beets and greens, zucchini and other summer squashes. The pepper plants are growing good, but not much for flowers or fruit. Tiny cukes, but don't see them putting any size on. And the tomato plants are pretty much doing nothing, hasn't been enough sun or heat.

Cathy

• cybertrek
    19 years ago

In my garden this week we're harvesting

Green beans
    cucumbers
    summer squashes
    carrots
    beets
    turnips
    peas
    lettuces
    cabbage
    herbs
    cut flowers

I need to do a better job with succession plantings next year.

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

Tomatoes, bell peppers, Ancho 101 peppers, green beans, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, lettuce, zucchini, eggplant, three kinds of summer squash, beets, beet greens, swiss chard, radish, potatoes, snow peas and a few snap peas. There might be turnip when I check today but probably not til later in the week.

Bok Choi, tatsoi and spinach are finished. I'll replant spinach today. Should have planned second crops of bok choi and tatsoi. I'll do that next year.

The cucumbers are there but small and not showing much sign of growth.

• gardengardengardenga
    19 years ago

CabbAGE IS GREAT THIS YEAR!
    lettuce of course, its been so cool and cloudy!
    sage, parsley, tarragon, basil, daylillies ( I eat the blooms-sewwter than lettuce!)
    garlic is coming on slowly- I pull a few out because I cant wait for that juicey sticky treat!
    beet greens and radishes

I havent harvest much yet- still early.

• veilchen
    19 years ago

garlic-pulled last week, eating some, stored the rest.

bush beans petering out, but have 2nd sowing starting to blossom.

carrots, planted a lot this year because we never have enough.

squash--way too many. Giving it away.

eggplant--also too many. 'Neon' has done extremely well--early and prolific, more so than 'Ichiban'. Although Ichiban is starting to really kick out.

Peppers and chiles--a ton. Am eating some, picking the bigger ones and chopping and freezing.

Cukes--only planted 2 'Salad Bush', so we have more than enough, but they're not coming out of our ears.

Tomatoes--picked a total of 2 so far, which were quite watery-tasting due to all the rainfall. Am seriously worried about my 'Opalka', which are still hard-green, and I really hope they all ripen before 1st frost.

mid-summer sowing of lettuce is at baby stage. Salads again.