Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Frost

Posted by Robin_Maine Frost 5/31- 9/6 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 6, 04 at 7:23

There was a light frost in Lakeville on Upper Dobsis lake yesterday morning, Sept. 5. Every morning that we don't have a frost here I count myself lucky.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Frost

We've been lucky so far too. One morning this past week it was down to 38F here at the house, but no damage yet. I thought the sun was suppose to be out today? So far here it's cloudy, breezy and the temp is 55F at 9am. Certainly been like fall all this past week with the exception of Wed I think it was? Overnite temps stayed around 70F and it was very humid!

Cathy

o

We are all just sitting ducks waiting for the first frost...lol...I want to cover my flowers with sheets and protections to keep them going as long as I can.

o

PHEW. No frost this morning. 37.

o

I spoke too soon. When I went to the back garden away from the house there was frost. =(

o

Been lucky here so far, nothing yet....but they say there could be some tonite??? I think it felt colder last night after the rain cleared out of here? And it there was quite a breeze blowing out there not to long ago....so I don't know? If the breeze dies down there just might be one? I took all my potted plants that I wanted to save inside a few days back, so let it come! lol Boy, aren't the trees really starting to color up now!? Winter's a coming!

Cathy

ps...we have started a "smudge" in the woodstove the past two nites tho...

o

It's 43 this morning - no frost. We've had a smudge the last two nights. It was nice to get up this morning to a warm house. The leaves are changing here too. This is my favorite time of year.

o

None yet here, but we have dipped down to low 40s last 2 nights. It looks like we'll be spared this week, but any day next week is up for grabs!

o

Wide spread frost predicted this week. Thank goodness I don't have many annuals

o
RE: First Snow

This weekend, it came, and hit my key lime tree...snow that is! I have it under chicken wire with leaves stuffed in it...I do need to put burlap around it and stuff it more before it gets any colder.

o

I don't have snow here in Talmadge. The snow line stops about four miles from here. I had a class at UMaine Machias last night. It looks like winter down there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here