Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leona207

What's still blooming in your garden, week of September 27th?

Leona207
19 years ago

We haven't had a frost yet, and today is the first real day that it feels like summer is actually gone. All my birds have gone south, except the gold finches.

Still in bloom in Limington: Endless Summer hydrangea, Annabelle hydrangea, cosmos, hyacinth bean vine, impatiens, and petunias.

Comments (12)

• The_Dollmaker
    19 years ago

The cardinals are quiet now but very busy. My cats sit in the window and watch as about a dozen of them forage on the lawn. In Maine I still have yellow daisies and gaillardia, wild aster, dianthus, a few red geraniums, zinnias, buddleia and mini-petunias.

• mainerose
    19 years ago

Clara Curtis daisy, impatiens, morning glories, a few sun flowers, tons of cosmos, Mary Rose (a David Austin rose)
    portulaca, petunias, nicotiana, calimbroca, alyssum, snapdragons, torenia, thunbergia---and we still have tons of tomatos! I've lived here for 20 years and I can't remember frost holding off this late!

• Leona207
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Dollmaker, you lucky duck! I haven't been able to attract cardinals since we built here, almost two years ago. I had a pair of them at our old place (twenty minutes away) but for some reason they don't like it here. I have every environment imagineable in my back yard LOL we live 300 yards from the river, have wetlands, woods with plenty of evergreens, and a large open area. Mostly I get chickadees, nuthatches, titmice, downy woodpeckers, a pileated woodpecker, goldfinches, rose-breasted grossbeaks, wood thrushes, vireos, and purple finches. But no cardinals!

• veilchen
    19 years ago

A few rudbeckias left, sedum 'Autumn Joy', of course, delphiniums reblooming, helenium really looks nice, cynoglossum (Chinese forget-me-not, self-seeded itself all over and has bloomed in succession since July), dianthus, a bit of white still clinging to phlox 'David', all annuals, and all David Austin roses (which haven't quit since the end of June).

I got rid of Clara Curtis mums because I was tired of fighting them (invasive?). I really do want to get hold of those purple asters next year.

• mainesfwriter
    19 years ago

In Sidney - nasturtiums, tuberous begonias, petunias, moss roses, and scented geraniums on the deck, with morning glories climbing up it. In the gardens, clematis, miniature roses, shrub roses, sedum, summer phlox (budded - sure hope it gets to open!), and bee balm. Lovely.

• gardengardengardenga
    19 years ago

Sept 30.....
    in Franklin I have pansies which were cut back 6 weeks ago and are now revived back from spring looking happy and blooming strong again.

wax and fiberous begonias, kale, shrimp plant, calendula, snaps, petunias, bachelor buttons, malva, coleus, sweet annie, false queen anne lace, lavendar, sunflowers, rudbeckia, zinnias, asters, phyostegia, asters

whats still is alive with lots of foliage is:
    avacadoe plants, key lime tree, scented geraniums,Banana tree, orange tree, taragon, lettuce, onions, parsley, cucmbers(dont look great-too manyducks trampling onthem)The maples are turning bright red

What I have growing in West Tremont, Maine is

well, we have a garden center so everything is looking pretty good very diverse in plant species and still much is lush and blooming. In my pataote beds 20X20 feet The pataotes still have not died back much so I am still waiting for that harvest to occur. My garlic is blooming nicely!

The lavetera did fabulous this year and is still bloomin it little heads off along the pet zoo animal fence. There is also lots of sunflowers blooming happily!

• goldie47
    19 years ago

I still have hollyhocks, zinnias, aster, rudbeckia, verbascum, cosmos, marigolds, geranium (Rozanne), lisianthus, shasta daisy. It's been a great September!

• veilchen
    19 years ago

Oh, yeah, I forgot Rozanne! They just don't quit.

• chicken_lady
    19 years ago

Here are a few things that are blooming in my garden today...

Combo pot...coleus,sweet potato vine and purple fountain grass

Some assorted stuff...cherry profusion zinnias, marigolds, NE asters, gazania, etc..

Red Cascade mini rose

A single blossom on my "new this year" climbing rose "America"

Pee Gee hydrangia

New England aster...the bumble bees are loving them!

Oh yes, there was frost yesterday morning, but for some reason it didn't settle here at my house???? First time that I can remember not having one here before Oct 1.

Cathy

• gardengardengardenga
    19 years ago

great pixs chicken lady!

• SilverQueen
    19 years ago

Hollyhocks, Cosmos, and Black-Eyed Susans!

Silver Queen

• Mainiac
    19 years ago

Aconitum! Big blue,purple flowers at 6 ft tall1 Late flowering phlox, helianthus, and sedum. I don't grow many annuals except the cosmos by the mail box

Sponsored