Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengardengardenga

common ground fair bound?

I am looking foreard to attending the common ground fair...anyone else out there attending?

What is your favorite event at the fair...mine is the food and crafts matched to the animals.

Comments (11)

• chicken_lady
    19 years ago

I'm going! Never got to it when it was in southern Maine, but have attended it just about every year since it's been in Unity. I love it! The past three years took my neighbor's son with me and he really liked it. First place we always hit was the poultry barn...we had given him some of our Bantams a few years back and he was right into raising them, so he loved looking at all the different chickens they have there. He and his mother moved a little over a month ago (on going domestic abuse at home, they finally got out for good this time), back to Cape Cod where his mom's family are. I will miss him going with me again this year. :-( Took my daughter and grandaughter year before last when they were up for a visit and they both had a blast! It is just such a cool event! This year I've asked another neighbor to go with me, I think she will enjoy it as much as I do...it'll be fun like usual I think! We'll go either Sat afternoon or Sunday morning....looking forward to it!

Cathy

• luvmyducks
    19 years ago

My husband and I go every year. It's by far the best country fair in Maine. I love the animals - I think the oxen are my favorites. I'm always amazed by how big they are. I do miss the big pig, though, and the miniature goats. Haven't seen them in a few years.

• chicken_lady
    19 years ago

So...who made it to the fair? I went yesterday, the weather was perfect and I had a fantastic time. Took one of my neighbors with me, it was her first time and she loved it too! I even broke down this year and bought one of their T-shirts! The Orr's Island seafood chowder is the best I've ever tasted and the sausage w/peppers and onions was also great! Also a fruit smoothie and can't go without one of those pie cones! yummy

Cathy

• gardengardengardenga
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I went today ...and I missed some speakers I really wanted to hear...they were all sold out of their garlic...most of their t.shirts were sold out and I missed athe artist to sign my copy. The lines for most all the food was so long that I limited myself to blueberry icecream, organic pizza, a drink made with organic beets, ginger, applejuice and somethingelse that was very good!

I did manage to purchase a bunch of different tshirts in the political tents!

I saw a neighbor who lives a few houses down from me on MDI, and other neighbors as well.

I marveled the most over the cashmere goats and the angora rabbits...Admiring the spinning and carting going on at the same time. I also enjoyed watching the animals get sheared and how the wool felt fresh from being shaved and how the lanolin lingered on my fingers.

I ran through every craft tent looking for leeann nikon hand painted silk scraves ( but couldnt find her --darn thats year 2 now I have missed her there!)

The horse pull contest was quite incredible as DS 6yo said that the butt muscles were really large and strong!

Hey I got there with only 2 hours to see everything- Next year Iam dragging my family with me on Friday and put up tents ther at the fair grounds and stay and be a part of it and actually enjoy it .

I would have love to contra dance, or sit and listen to the folk singers that played all day. Or have painted up my childs face or watch them play at the large childrens section of the fair in the children events and games.

It was such a blurrrrr... hey did any one get to hear Percy Schmeiser speak? Is there a video of the 2 days he spoke?
    Lynn Miller looked like a great one,too as well as Jason Kafka...

Never again will I do what I did this year and just dart in at the last 2 hours on the last day!

I did get a good deal on Sweet Annie!

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    19 years ago

Interesting report! That sounds like a GREAT event,
    Anne-Marie

• luvmyducks
    19 years ago

Another thumbs up on the Orr's Island Chowder - my favorite food at the fair! Oh, and the smoothies, and the cookies, and the falafel.....
    We went on Friday and the day was perfect. Bought t-shirts (the green was nice) and some great alpaca yarn for some new mittens.
    Did anyone see the pig tractor? Apparently they are very good at tilling fields! And the pigs were very cute.

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

Pigs will uproot anything in their path. They do a thorough job if left in one spot long enough. I have two Gloucestershire Old Spot sows that are going to move up to the back garden as soon as I can get a hotwire run around it. I need them to clean up a lot of tomatoes and dig up some problem weeds.

• luvmyducks
    19 years ago

Robin, isn't that a fairly rare breed of pig? What do you do with them in the winter (or are they kept for meat)?

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

GOS is a critically rare breed. The last time I looked at the numbers there were fewer than 500 in the world. It's probably increased since then.

They have a fenced in pen and a little building they go into. As long as the snow is soft and they can walk through it to make paths they go outside all winter. If it gets icy I keep them in. They're very hardy. Right now they're eating some of the plant and vegetable cast offs from the garden. This morning they're going to get a pumpkin the mice ruined in the field. When I turn them into the back garden they'll stay long enough to clean up tomatoes and root up the grass I'm fighting. They'll be able to go back into their house but will most likely sleep right in the garden. There's a pic of Penny linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1042473}}

• gardengardengardenga
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Our four pigs are to go to slaughter this Sunday. I am thinking of keeping the smallest one as a farm pet and to help with my gardens as well. I have been teetering vegetarian life again and thought I could use another animal to take care of and enjoy, also after reading Robin_Maine (regarding her georgeous sow )I guess it pushed me over the edge to keep her! Thanks for the pix and our little piggy sends his cheers to you as well!

Long live Robin_Maine for saving my pigs life! :)

I dont know what kind he is, but hope he will get along with 3 goats and 10 chickens and 2 geese all sharing space- large roomy space!

Supposeable the pig was neutered when born or soon after. What might I expect through the winter? Dunno. He is about what looks 85 lbs right now.

I need to go out and buy a digital camera so I might share this little guy with gardenweb world and the OGS.

• chicken_lady
    19 years ago

We grow our own pig every year. Ours isn't to big yet, but will probably meet his maker shortly after the first of the year. My OH does all "the work" himself and then he takes the bacon and hams down to West Gardiner Beef to be smoked. Home grown...nothing can compare!

Cathy

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH