Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
evergreen for perennial border?

Posted by lisanmaine z5 ME (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 13, 04 at 17:02

I moved to a new house this summer and want to redesign a perennial border. Right now it all dies down to the ground so it is a big flat dirt area winter and spring. I'd like to make it more interesting all year round.

Here is what I am looking for:
Evergreen plants/small shrubs that would do well in a perennial border. Need something that is not more than 3-4' high and not huge spread. Interesting foliage as background for perennials in spring/summer. The area is mostly shaded.

Any ideas for zone 5?--anyone have good luck with certain plants looking nice all year round in their gardens?

Thanks,
Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: evergreen for perennial border?

It may be difficult to find the 3-4' height limit for a conical or upright shape, but you can find plenty in the 5-6' range. It takes several years for them to reach that height, and you can prune to keep them in bounds.

o
RE: evergreen for perennial border?

If you're interested in conifers "mostly shaded" is probably going to come down to a choice between Tsuga (hemlocks) and Taxus (yews).
Among broadleaf evergreens some of the smaller rhododendrons (e.g. yakushimanum cultivars or myrtifolium)Buxus, compact Ilex glabra selections and compact Kalmia latifolia selections might be possibilities. Without more info (exact location? deer? drainage? wind exposure? soil pH? snow loading? winter sun? etc.) it is impossible to know what might be appropriate. A good nursery such as Anderson Farms, O'Donal's, or Estabrooks should be able to guide you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here