Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shabby Shrubbery

Posted by maureenbee Z5ME (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 17:54

Fellow Mid-Coast Maine gardeners:

I am looking for someone to help me with pruning for one day in Thomaston. To be pruned are weigela, and large, but short, yew hedges (manually). The weigela is new to me this year. I am unclear as to whether these flower on new or old wood. In any event, they are badly in need of shaping. I am hoping to find someone that knows more than me, which shouldn't be difficult.
Anyone interested in discussing this further please call Maureen at 596-7895

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shabby Shrubbery

Hi Maureen,
I'm in Rockport. I too have Weigelia & this is my 3rd year in my current house so I did some research on pruning them this year. I'm currently working towards my Master Gardener certification. What I've been told is they bloom on NEW wood. It is best to prune right after they flower. You might want to do a light prune this year just to get them under control with out losing too much of your new growth & so flowers this coming year & then work on them more thoroughly next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here