Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
downeastwaves

Pink Flower ID

downeastwaves
19 years ago

Can any one ID this pretty pink flower?

It is growing in the beach stone path in the back yard.

It smells real nice and has bloomed for weeks.

Leasa

Eastport, Maine

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Flower

Comments (14)

• josie_2
    19 years ago

It looks like the Phlox I have growing in my border.

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    19 years ago

Hi Leasa!
    Looks indeed like a phlox. If you do a search on 'phlox paniculata' using google images you might be able to identify the variety.
    Mostly wanted to say a big 'hello' to a gardener from Eastport. So excited to come across someone from there! We stayed there last summer for 2 days and just LOVED it. When we feel like 'escaping' to Eastport again, we read some mysteries by Sarah Graves...

Anne-Marie from Albany NY

• chicken_lady
    19 years ago

Looks like Dame's rocket....Hesperis to me? They are suppose to be a late spring bloomer and can reseed like crazy. They smell really good too.

Cathy

• maine_gardener
    19 years ago

Not sure what it is but I don't think it is phlox.Foliage doesn't look like phlox and I don't recall any type of phlox that has a nice smell either.

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    19 years ago

Yes, I thought about 'hesperis matronalis', too. However it is a spring bloomer, and I believe it has alternate leaves. On closer look, I actually don't think it is phlox anymore, but saponaria officinalis (bouncing bet) which has a more prounounced fragrance than phlox. You can check against these pictures.
    Anne-Marie

• downeastwaves
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Anne_Marie_Alb you are right! the bouncing bet sure looks like a match! Glad you discovered Eastport, make sure to stop by Raye's Mustard Mill next time you are in town and say hi!

I have some Dame's Rockets and they are pretty, bloom a long time and smell real, real nice. The white ones are just finishing, the pink and purples started in early summer! Chicken_Lady it is similar but much smaller and fainter scent.

I hope Bouncing Bet seeds itself and I get loads of them!!!

They do have a slight look of phlox but the leaves just did not match.

Thanks for finding it for me!!! It's so nice to have help right here, I've asked lots of folks about it but here is where I found help!!!

Thanks all!!!

Leasa

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    19 years ago

Don't remember seeing the Mill.. Will not miss it next time we come! This is really unique and of great interest to a mustard lover! Checked your website (are you in the group picture?), and may even order some mustard later on. Do you also grow your own mustard plants?

Don't remember seeing the Mill mentioned in Sarah Graves's mysteries!! Got 2 'new' ones last September that we haven't read yet.

Well, nice little exchange..
    Enjoy your 'bouncing bet',
    Anne-Marie

• downeastwaves
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm not in the pix as I jusrt started working there in April. I'll ask Sarah if the mill is in any of her books. She comes into the shop about every week. Her current book Mallets of Forethought is coming out in paperbook at the end of October and her new one is due out in hardcover at the end of December.

Raye's has a page at gourmetfoodmall.com also, that one I worked on it is on the condemints floor. I took the pix and wrote up the wordings.

It is a really fun place to work!

Leasa

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    19 years ago

Hi again, Leasa!
    Thanks for all this info. If Sarah comes into the store about every week, then she must have made some mentions in her books of the mill that I may have overlooked. Have read only 3 of her mysteries--have 3 more waiting on my shelf for long winter evenings... Tell Sarah I enjoy her books and her gardening descriptions (think it might have been in Wreck the Halls).

Great job on the webpage! Am glad you enjoy working there.

By the way, 'Bouncing Bet' spreads by underground stems, but also by seeds, I believe.

Take care,
    Anne-Marie

• Sky351
    19 years ago

Hi ~~~ was reading back issues and saw you're plant.. I say it's Catchfly.
    http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/wildseed/22/22.7.html
    Be Well
    Bev

• lilyroseviolet
    19 years ago

Good Job, Sky!

• downeastwaves
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My pink babies did not come back, I'm hoping they will pop up later this summer I hope so! I'd like to see which one it REALLY is the Bouncing Bet or the Catch Fly!!!

Leasa

• maineflowergirl
    18 years ago

I think Sky has it correct with the Catchfly. It looks like a flower I used to have here but it's gone away now. I see it described as a tender perennial and it would have to be STRONG to stick around here. I forgot that it had a nice scent though. I think I will get some seeds next year if I remember and try planting it again.

On the photos page that Anne Marie posted the URL for showing Bouncing Bet I see one person also called it Dame's Rocket and said that it had no smell. Plus Dame's Rocket is taller than what Leasa is showing us, I think. But maybe Bouncing Bet is NOT supposed to be also called Dame's Rocket. I have just a couple Dame's Rocket in my yard. I would like to get more of it naturalized on the edge of the woods. It looks much nicer en masse.

I hadn't heard of Sarah Graves' books before. I may look into them. A woman from my original hometown of Mexico, Maine (Monica Wood) just published her fourth novel "Any Bitter Thing" which is getting wonderful reviews. I liked her other books and am looking forward to reading this one. My sister said it was great. You can see Monica's website at www.monicawoods.com

Joanie D.

• maineflowergirl
    18 years ago

Leasa, I found it interesting reading about the history of Raye's at http://rayesmustard.gourmetfoodmall.com/StaticPage.php?pageid=437&reffloor=12

I think I went to the store a number of years ago but I would like to see the mill sometime too. I never did find the group photo online that Anne-Marie mentioned though. (Oops, guess I am moving us a bit off-topic. Hope no one minds too much.)

Joanie D.

Here is a link that might be useful: History of Raye's Mustard

Sponsored