Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancygardener

is Southern Maine for a NJ Garden Girl?

nancygardener
16 years ago

I love to play in the garden. I grow things that I can eat, like blueberries, srawberries, grapes, and tomatos. I also grow herbs. I'm in my early 40's and I just can't afford New Jersey anymore. Do you all think southern Maine would be good for me? Can I still grow my berries in Maine? I live by the shore now so I'd like to stay near the shore. Someone told me that Wells is nice. I have 3 kids in elementary school, so safety and good schools is important. I am in the health care industry so I think Wells is close to Portland for jobs. My joy in life is my garden. Will I still have that joy in Maine? Will my kids be safe and happy? Please anyone have an opinion? I am all out of ideas.

-Nancy

Comments (7)

• veilchen
    16 years ago

I think all of southern Maine is nice and one of the best places in the world to raise kids. I live in Saco and am still in the kid-raising mode, plus I have a large rose/perennial garden and a vegetable garden. I grow blueberries, strawberries, tomatoes, but not grapes because they attract Japanese beetles. Also a peach tree in the backyard. Along the coast we are moving toward being a zone 6 rather than 5.

So yes you can certainly garden here although your list of plants may be slightly shortened from NJ due to hardiness. I'm not sure how expensive it's gotten in NJ, but southern Maine, esp. coastal, is no bargain. In most areas home prices begin at $250,000 unless you want a fixer-upper. Now is a good time to buy, however, as there are a lot of homes sitting on the market that need to lower their prices to sell (my girlfriend does real eastate).

• bspofford
    16 years ago

I moved here 10 years ago and haven't regretted it for a minute! Property values are less here that in NJ, education is very important for communities, and health care jobs are available everywhere, not just Portland. If you go up the coast past Portland, property will become less expensive, but those healthcare jobs are still available.

Barbara

• nancygardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you. This encourages me! How is Kennebunkport? I heard it's a bit expensive but pretty.
    This is going to be an adventure!

• veilchen
    16 years ago

Kennebunk and Kennebunkport are both lovely towns, but totally packed in the summer. Neither are any more expensive than other s. Maine coastal towns if the property is far enough away from the coast or away from the historic picture-perfect neighborhoods in town.

• nancygardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't mind summer crowds. We get that down here on the Jersey Shore. I just want to feel safer. I want to know that my kids won't have to leave this state because of housing prices and taxes and crime. I just read Pequfrogs thread and there are a lot of nice people who helped him out and are helping me out. Thank you everyone!

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello Nancy;
    I am a former teacher and I would recommend you stay with your first choice of Wells rather that K'port. Wells is also closer to Portsmouth, Sanford and York which have good size hospitals. I was born in Queens and raised in NYC and Jersey. Mostly Northern Jersey, East Orange, Cedar Grove and Wayne.
    My brother still live in NJ but he is down in Haddonfield now. He used to live in Fair Haven.
    I also live in Saco, it is a very nice community and my neighborhood is just full of kids. If you are coming this way, let me know.
    Have a great week. diene

• pequafrog
    16 years ago

Nancy, we're still considering options. Have you looked at Scarborough, Falmouth, or Yarmouth? All have high-rated schools. Wells is a little far-ish from Portland (jobs) but it is really nice.
    Good luck and keep us informed!!

-PF

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!