Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone know a non-toxic wood preservative?

Posted by mainelyjim Z5 Maine (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 8, 04 at 10:29

I am building a hoophouse to grow vegetables thru the winter and I'm looking for info on what is a safe wood preservative to use on boards that have contact with the soil. I garden organically and need to find something that won't leach into the soil and get into my crops. Any of you out there know of such an item and where I can obtain it? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone know a non-toxic wood preservative?

Linseed oil generously applied gives some protection and is non-toxic. Some woods like cedar have built-in preservatives. The plastic wood they sell for decks may be non-toxic, but I will have to check into that. (I plan to make some raised beds next year and don't want any toxic wood preservatives involved either.)

Another approach for your hoophouse would be to not have wood in contact with the soil. You could put down a row of concrete blocks, or just pour a concrete footing and put your wooden structure on top of that. If your concrete blocks had the right sized holes, you might be able to thread your hoops directly into their holes.

MM

o
RE: Anyone know a non-toxic wood preservative?

hi try eco wood treatment . we bought some at sherwin-williams its a great non toxic wood preservative,also turns the wood old looking , its also available at home depot i understand best to you all , fred

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here