Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pequafrog

What town should we move to in Southern Me.?

pequafrog
18 years ago

Hey everyone!

I'm a regular poster in the Pond and the Aquarium forums...but i really the help of Mainers.

We really love Maine and want to move there. My daughter is a senior in HS here on Long Island, NY, so we figured next summer is our time to go. We've visited many times but cannot find the perfect town (if it exists). We'd love someplace with a downtown feel (like Stars Hollow in the Gilmore Girls--anyone?...anyone?) Needs to be near-ish a College. Needs to have good schools (5 kids--ages 17 to 2)I'd love to have an acre or more to grow my beautiful gardens in. We love snow--old houses--mountains--wood stoves--good people.

I just can't commute to NYC anymore. In fact, ever since 9/11 I get freaked out going in on the train and subway. I witnessed that day first hand and will always be affected by it. So, we want to move to the perfect little town...and live our life the way it should be.

thanks for your input everyone!!!

PF

Comments (69)

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, skating is cool too. I was just wondering if folks in Maine did the water-garden thing.
    Anyway, we had a wonderful time in your beautiful state. We visited Standish, Windham, and stayed in Biddeford. We're leaning toward Standish-Windham because of the proximity to Portland and or course, how beautiful it is. Here's a pic of my son on the campus of St. Josephs. There's a path right to Sebago Lake.

I couldn't believe there were snow-capped mountains right there! I can't wait 'til the summer and we make our move!

• auntiedonna2
    18 years ago

I have to put my two cents in on this one. First both my son and daughter-in-law went to Saint Joseph's. Both were very happy with the education. My son came home his first semester in 1992, and he told us he was spending the rest of his life in Maine. He has owned a condo in South Portland and then moved to a home in Westbrook. Westbrook is a wonderful location. If I was at a point of relocating I would look at the Westbrook area. You would be very close to Portland for medical, shopping, and cultural. At some point we will be moving to Maine & more than likely it will be in the Westbrook area.

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Westbrook sounds wonderful. Can you get a decent size lot there? We'd like to get maybe 2 or 3 acres.
    Are you having snow in maine today? We had about 4" last night here in New York. I think this cold weather and early snow bodes well for a White Christmas!

-PequaFrog

• maineman
    18 years ago

No snow here today. Our high was 30. Ironically, it's considerably warmer here than where my son lives in the Kansas City area, where it was about 13. But we had a very white Thanksgiving.

MM

• auntiedonna2
    18 years ago

I know my son mentioned that several properties are for sale in Westbrook. His property orignally was 3 acres and he split it so he could build a new house. His neighbor has 15 acres on one side of him and I believe the other neighbor has 20 acres on the other side. I mentioned to my husband that you were looking to go to Maine and he had to agree with you Windham is the place to live. It will be interesting to see where we end up when we get to that point and what size lot. We have 17 acres now, and use it all. Good luck with your move.

• Kimberley
    18 years ago

Hi...Check out Berwick. It's an hour from Portland, and the same from Boston. It's 20-30 minutes from the shore. My husband and I live in berwick and commute to Mass for the higher pay. Properties are still reasonably low priced. 3 years ago we got 22 acres on the river with a 3year old home for $199,000. Prices have risen, but there's ALOT of for sale signs right now.
    I have 2 kids in the primary school and LOVE IT!!!
    Good Luck!
    ~Kim

• ginny12
    18 years ago

What are the differences between Berwick and South Berwick, other than the obvious geographical one?

• suenh
    18 years ago

Be ready for a bit of culture shock, though I have to admit it isn't as bad as it was.
    I escaped LI in the late 70's, been in the mountains of NH since. My parents retired to Maine as soon as they were able. Consider further north a bit, the Blue Hill Maine area is lovely, still very rural but not a bad drive to things your used to. The scenery is stunning!

I'm in the Plymouth NH area, I have a college, a super Walmart, building a Lowes and Home Depot. Another big box is apparently coming in but name is still a secret. Takes me an hour to get to big malls and 2 hours to Boston. I can ride my horses clear to the Canadian border and listen to the coyotes howl at night. Best of both worlds and now sales and income taxes.

• maineman
    18 years ago

Sue,

Correcting a typo: you meant to say, "Best of both worlds and no sales and income taxes."

That no sales tax and no state income tax advantage is an attractive feature of New Hampshire. Wish we had the same thing here in Maine. But then our state would have "no visible means of support". (grin)

MM

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We've been hearing good things about Raymond, Maine. Gonna plan another trip north next month.

-Drew

• Kimberley
    18 years ago

South Berwick is alot bigger in regards to their downtown area, and their pricetag..lol. The kids also go to a differant school system. Our downtown in Berwick consists of a town building with the police there, a couple little stores (haircut place, a nice restaraunt, and a Subway which is yet unopened) Our school system is shared with North Berwick, and Lebanon. You can search MSAD #60 for school info. Berwick and the surounding towns are pretty quiet. So...yea...culture shock is a definate! You do learn to love the quiet. It's true what the licence plates say 'Maine IS the way life should be,' even in a bordertown!

• covehillsoaper
    17 years ago

Posted by: Barncats So. Maine (My Page) on Sat, Nov 5, 05 at 5:56

Check out York, Maine
    Lots of history - beautiful homes - great beaches - 10 minutes to Portsmouth NH for tax free shopping and great restaurants - 30-45 min to Portland.

UNH, UNE, USM all are an easy commute

NOTE: I DON'T THINK YOU CAN EVEN BUY A GARAGE IN YORK FOR $200,000 OR LESS.

It IS a beautiful place to live, though.

• chelone
    17 years ago

Covehillsoaper is absolutely correct in the assessment of real estate prices in York. 250-300K might get you a '50s ranch that you could renovate. Lots are expensive and you need to be sure you get one with a building permit... if you don't, you will likely have to wait a year/two before you'll be able to get one.

Ogunquit is a lovely town, there is an elementary school and the older kids go to the Wells school system. I beg to differ that it isn't a "place for children"... I know several people and kids from that community; they are pleasant, polite, and unconsumed with preconceived notions about "alternative lifestyles". :)

• nancylouise5me
    17 years ago

I totally agree with chelone about Ogunquit.(Hi neighbor!) A more beautiful and friendlier town in the southern coast is hard to find. Population is small but swells during the summer months, as do most Maine coastal towns. Kids do flurish there and it is family friendly. It does have a gay population in town but so do just about all other towns. I think the snipes about alternative lifestyles say more about the person that said them then anything else. Good luck with your serch. Have you decided on an area yet PF? NancyLouise

• jimwrites
    17 years ago

Hi Long Island,

I moved here from Chicago and anywhere you go is going to be quieter than the congested noisy traffic of NY. In fact, as you know from vacationing, it's a different world here. In many ways far more primitive than one expects in 2006.
    I'm in the Lewiston Auburn region and I wouldn't recommend that despite the fact there are a couple schools within shouting distance. Most of the modest sized towns have non-cozy downtown regions. I haven't seen the Gilmore Girls, but I can tell you you'll have better luck finding that in NH. Dover for instance is cozy. Having said that, I would recommend doing some searches via HomeGain (I think it is). They have a neighborhood calculator where you take the zip of a place you live or like to live and then punch in the zip of the place you may be going and it will tell you what town is like that in the area, based on crime and housing and other demographics.

Portland, even on its busiest day, is nowhere near as stressful as a somewhat busy day in the suburbs of Chicago, so with that in mind...

Boothbay and Freeport have cute downtowns, but are far too busy during tourist season. (I know what i said about Portland, but you know....sometimes it gets to you)
    Bath is very charming. Anywhere south of Saco is really just Northern Mass. Truly. Rockland's nice. Yarmouth has an ounce of charm. Bangor is great. Stay away from the mountain towns as most of them have nothing in the way of amenities and are more like Stephen King novels.

• chelone
    17 years ago

Well not exactly "northern Massachusetts", but it has indeed become a bedroom community for the metro Boston area. Real estate prices in southern Maine reflect that trend. Southern New Hampshire (no income tax land) is actually the preferred metro-Boston bedroom community. They're closer on the newly instituted Downeaster tain, too! When I was in college, Dover was full of student rentals (a former mill town that was fortunate enough to be near UNH)... now it's full of commuter homes. Big changes in 30 years. Newmarket is no longer a mill town, and Portsmouth is no longer a gritty, wannabe port and fishing community.

The toughest part about Maine is that once you really start getting north of Portland job possibilities dwindle. "The county" and several south of it struggle with economic stagnation and population LOSS every year. It is important to remember that the happy "Vacationland" you see in the summer months is NOT the reality of this state, at all.

• AmandaAlna
    17 years ago

I wish I'd read this thread sooner! My family was in your exact situation about 8 years ago. We were living on LI in Brightwaters, I was about to head off to college, and my mom was retiring from the Bay Shore School District. I used to go away to the Audubon summer camp on Hog Island every year, and from that I knew I wanted to go to college in Maine. My family was ready to get away from all the noise and clutter of the island, and Maine seemed like the perfect contrast for them, too.

We ended up settling in Alna, which geographically very large but demographically very, very small. It's just 5 miles north of Wiscasset and Rt 1 in Lincoln county. About 20 minutes from Bowdoin, 45 from Portland/USM, and ~1.5 hrs from St. Joseph's. I went to UMaine Orono, which was about 1.5 hrs north.

We have lots of flatlander transplants in Alna because it's the ideal stereotype NYers dream of when they dream of leaving the city. There's even a swimming hole! I got married two years ago to a Londoner, and even he can't leave Alna. We fell asleep last night listening to rain, peepers, and barred owls. As for downtown, we rely on Wiscasset and Damariscotta for that, which are only about 5 minutes drive each. To really settle my street-shopping craving, I go to Portland's Old Port about twice a month, and like I said, that's only 45 minutes away. It took longer to take the LIRR to the city from Bay Shore.

Real estate is up in Alna at the moment, but it's still nothing compared to what you'll get for your house. Even so, Whitefield is the next town north from here on 218, and though it's just as great as Alna, there's a big difference in price.

If you're still looking, and if you want to look into Alna, let me know. We could be neighbors again! I know for a fact you're making the right decision.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some properties available in Alna

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Alna sounds beautiful.
    One of the problems I've run into is school ratings. What would you say are some of the best school districts around? Also...my better half loves the ocean. We've been to Popham beach which was cold but we still loved it. How far is Alna from a swimmable ocean beach (with waves and everything!)? How about jobs?

thanks all!!!

-Andy

• chelone
    17 years ago

Sounds like you need to spend some more time on your "homework"!

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I know...I'm so confused. And I'm a wuss...........

• wingnutt52
    17 years ago

I've read all the other postings and can't believe no one has mentioned Brunswick..it is on the coast, has Bowdoin College and a gorgeous downtown. It is the home of an air base right now, but it will be closing within the next five or so years. The school system is still very good as far as I know. (My kids are 30 and 34) I was born and brought up there and think it may fit your needs.

• sue36
    17 years ago

You are going to be hard pressed to find something close to the ocean, near a job "center" (Portsmouth, Portland), that is quiet (not right in town), with great schools and under $200k. The lot my house is on would cost more than that. I

The less expensive areas generally are the ones that have far fewer jobs (and lower paying ones) or are very seasonal. The better paying jobs are in NH and MA. I commute to Boston everyday. I live about 4 miles from the Piscataqua River bridge. Maine is VERY different culture and attitude wise than Mass and NH, even though the proximity is close.

There are many, many beautiful places in Maine. The trick is the job situation. What do you do for a living? It is very relevant to where you want to live.

What do you do for work and what can you spend on a house?

• maine_lily
    17 years ago

kennebunk is a beautiful town ans of course kennebunkport.we have close relatives there. St joseph in windom is a great schooland new england college in bidderford pool is greatnif you are studing medicine i hear

• mehearty
    17 years ago

Did you have a look at Gorham? Great school system and 15 minutes either way to the ocean or the lake. Samll town atmosphere. Hpw old if your child?

• bspofford
    17 years ago

It's been about a year since you posted your original question, so how about an update. Have you moved to Maine yet, and if so, where did you choose and why?

I will check back on this site for your reply. If you still are in NY, I'll offer some ideas for you.

Barbara

• ginny12
    17 years ago

I was just on the Pennsylvania forum, asking a question and was surprised to see that Pequa Frog has posted the same question there. Also on the New England forum, where I usually hang out. So I think he or she is very undecided about where to move.

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks again, Ginny. (Ginny keeps mentioning this on each of the forums ;-) LOL. Maybe we should move to MA.!!!

Pequafrog VERY undecided about where to move!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Now my brother in Orrington just called....says Bucksport is what we're looking for. Couple of acres...commutable to Bangor, near the bay and river. But my sweety wants PA. She doesn't want that much winter. I told her that in 1979-1980, I spent a year in Bangor and they had more snow down south than in Bangor!

For Christmas, I'm asking Santa for direction.

Thanks to all for your patience. Merry Christmas!!!

• shelsob1994
    17 years ago

I am in Shapleigh bean here two years love it. I am in a small town its nice I am an our from portland and portsmouth, Nh it works out well.heres a link

http://www.shapleigh.net/

• maryellen_2007
    17 years ago

I grew up in South Portland, which is kind-of suburbia-ish -- but i grew up near Hinkley Park in the 80's when no one seemed to go there. I would recommend on your next visit to the area, you look it up -- it's a huge forest park with 4 large bridges and running/skiing/walking trails. I lived on Richards St. Maybe not so cheap now, but this area of town is really good for growing up in still; it's 10 minutes from downtown Portland.

I now live in Olympia, WA. The job market is sooooo bad here. I am hoping to move back to Maine, and I have found your blog really helpful. Thank you so much for starting this conversation. There are so many good links about Moving to Maine in every Mainer's comments. And on a Gardening Blog! (of course).

By the way, two resources I have found exceedingly helpful and inspiring are:
    1) People Places and Plants, The Gardeing Magazine from Maine
    http://www.ppplants.com/

2) the book What Color is Your Parachute? 2007 edition. This is our world's best seeling career guide, with a section on how to move AND get a job in that new place BEFORE -- alot of helpful career-changing and job search advice.

3)Also -- It's a great idea to get a subscription to the Maine Sunday Telegram and also Downeast Magazine -- to start doing some local reading and research.

All my best! Thank you for everything,

Mary Ellen

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ppplants.com/

• doegirl
    17 years ago

Hello all,
    I am new to this site and new to Maine. Pequafrog, I can identify with your dilemma(s) although I do not have kids, so my "moving to Maine" burden was a little smaller. I am from Delaware and am moving this week to Old Orchard Beach. I decided to rent for a year in order to postpone the real estate problem. Luckily real estate went down compared to a year ago, but I can't afford much on my salary. And as everyone points out, you must adjust your housing expectations to see what you get in Maine for the money.

I interviewed a year ago with a big company and did not get the job. I interviewed this Dec. and got a job starting Feb 1st with a nonprofit in Portland. I will be paid 2/3 of what I was making in Delaware, but my rent is the same, cost of living is a bit higher as Del has no sales tax and income tax is less than Maine (you knew this, right?). The only financial bright spot is that my car and renters insurance will cost me about half.

While I applaud your willingness to move without a job, I wouldn't recommend it in this terrible economy - anywhere, let alone Maine - unless of course you have a lot of money to live on until things happen. Being a gypsy is a wonderful thing and I wouldn't trade it - but it costs money.

I use craigslist.org to find goods and services. I use MaineToday.com to read the paper. I used JobsInME.com to find a job. The other sites that everyone else recommended are excellent. I used realtor.com to look at real estate and decided to rent (again craigslist).

Yes, you must do your homework: what kind of work will you do, how will you live, can you afford to take a cut in pay (because you will) and is the lifestyle worth it? Of course it is! Peepers instead of trucks! No contest!

For me the issue is the commute. I have 2 dogs that I do not want waiting while I commute an hour to Portland, so I ended up in Old Orchard Beach. I've commuted a lot in my life and do not want to do it anymore, let alone consider wear and tear on the car and the price of gas. Plus my time - I want to be home and playing with the dogs if there's any light out!

I can't wait to grow a few things in OOB, daylilies or whatever, who cares as long as it's green and breathes.

Because I am FLEEING the mid-Atlantic, I'm surprised that you are also looking at PA and VA due to weather. In my opinion, Maine has it all over the mid-Atlantic because of the lack of air pollution. I can't breathe in DE or PA, and everyone here has chronic sinus infections. Everyone here thinks that is normal. I want some air.

Good luck, and as a waitress from Baltimore told us on one trip, "Get on up here NOW!"

• maineman
    17 years ago

doegirl,

So, how long is your commute from Old Orchard Beach to Portland?

MM

• veilchen
    17 years ago

Welcome to OOB, Doegirl. I live down the road in Saco. We can grow lots more than daylilies around here!

Here is a link that might be useful: join us some time

• doegirl
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    Made it - whew - just in time for the big blizzard. Kind of hard to believe that all kinds of good things are lying dormant under the snow, innit???

My commute to downtown is about 25 min from OOB, however the parking garage is another 10-15 minute hike, depending on the wind! BRRRR !

I am loving the new job. Looking forward to spring and summer, even if I am in heart of tourista town!

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep...we're still here. Still looking. We were in Wells last weekend and loved it. I hope that's the area of our final destination. Sigh.

-PF

• helpseeker
    16 years ago

Cape Elizabeth, Yarmouth, Boothbay Harbor, Bowdoin, Manchester, Harpswell...There are many great places. If I were in your shoes, I woud look for a nice piece of land and put a Connor Home on it. These homes are antique reproductions that are prefabed in VT. Yankee Magazine did an article on them a few years ago and I feel in love with them. They have a range of prices. Even better, an interior package for built-ins, wide pine board floor, moldings-amazing stuff.

Good luck

• chelone
    16 years ago

Pick one, willya?

• nancygardener
    16 years ago

Wow Pequa. Great questions. Will you marry me? Haha..JK!! I can do this on my own. I want to see Kennebunkport. Did you look there at all?

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes...we visited Kennebunk(s) and it was beautiful! Right on the water...beautiful old homes...cute downtown. The only drawback was the traffic right in town. Still, Kennebunk is at the top of our list now! Good luck.

-PF

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This weekend we're looking at homes in Scarborough, Westbrook and Saco. Wish us luck!

-PF

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Scarborough was beautiful on Sunday! Sunny..not too cold. We drove past a huge Marsh...I guess it's a Preserve because there's this kind of boardwalk where folks were walking their dogs. One thing: Does it get buggy there during the summer?

thanks again!

-PF

ps. this is Higgins beach.

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nancy, anything new with your moving plans to the Great State of Maine? We're still on target for this summer.

-PF

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Hello PF...

Since you are on target for this summer, have you decided on a town? I just discovered this post, because I always wanted to move to Maine too. I guess we are all looking for the perfect place and at least for me, I am sure I tend to romanticize it. I think I developed my sense of 'Maine' from books that I read growing up mixed together with a little dash of trips to Maine. :-) Then when our children were small, I seemed to keep finding books for children set in Maine and that just kept the dream alive. lol Blueberries for Sal for some reason sticks in my memory.

I have a feeling that the Maine I imagine, doesn't exist any more, if it ever did. I would love the opportunity to visit Maine more and hopefully find that at least some of my imaginings about Maine are on target.

I enjoyed reading about the different towns in Maine that have some of the qualities you are looking for. Great thread. :-)

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Prairie Moon.
    We have decided on Scarborough. Several reasons went into this decision. Proximity to family (in Topsham),Portland (jobs, sea dogs!), highly rated schools and near the ocean. I know that we've also 'built up' Maine in our minds but we're trying to be realistic about our expectations. It's just that every time we visit, we love what we see. The people that we've come in contact with are so friendly and helpful. We're going to put the house up for sale in March and hope to move by July. Maine...here we come! Good luck PM!

Thanks to everyone for all your input!

-PF

• nancylouise5me
    16 years ago

Wow, PF you made your decision, Congratulations! Good luck with selling your house. Hopefully in your area of NY there hasn't been too much of a downturn in the housing market. Welcome to Maine. I know you'll love it. I always have. NancyLouise

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks NancyLouise. I hope we can find a nice old Farm House with an acre or two. We don't mind a fixer-upper. In fact, we look forward to that. :-)
    If the housing downturn is too bad, we'll just stay another year. I just hope that doesn't happen!

-PF

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Hi PF....

You must be very busy busy trying to get your house ready for market. I hope you have good luck and will come back and update for us once you get settled. :-)

Congratulations!

pm2

• pequafrog
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Will do.
    At this point, I can tell you that the R.E. market is painfully slow in New York. Sigh.

-PF

• normathenewbie
    16 years ago

okay here's my suggestion
    Woolwich, it's not actually southern maine, more midcoast. it's about 45 mins from Portland. anyways, we have an awesome school system here. our school still has the elementary and middle school combined. its wonderful having the older kids mentor the younger ones. Bowdion College is less than 20 mins away. It is very quiet and a great community. we dont' have a downtown area like Stars hallow. lol, but the next town over, just across the river is Bath, which has a lovely maine street feel. the prices and taxes are not as high as some of the southern communities. Anyways it's a wonderful place to raise a family. my family has been in this area for 7 generations and almost none of us move away. that says something about the community. well best of luck with all of this. but remember to keep Woolwich in mind.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler