Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering mums?

Posted by mainerose 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 12, 05 at 16:48

I really love to have lots of pots mums in my yard in the fall, but I nearly go broke buying them every year. I have a cold cellar---if I keep them there during the winter, can I salvage them for next fall? Ditto with my four-o'clocks---can I dig them up and store in the cellar to plant next spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering mums?

Believe it or not, four o'clocks make a black tuber-like thing that you can dig and store like you would glads or dahlias. One year I tossed one on a shelf in a cool room and it grew when planted the next spring. I'm not recommending that "storage" method, but it shows how much abuse they will take! :-)

o

I over wintered fuschias in my attic one year. They started growing shoots in early spring. You could give the mums a try.
One year I left my mums in the ground during winter and because we had a heavy snow layer they all came up beautifully the next spring. If the snow layer isn't very deep, they don't get enough protection and they will die off.

o

I put the pots in the garage around Thanksgiving. Keep them well watered til then and then cut them down to about four inches. The bigger the pot, the more likely they are to sprout in about March. Then I put them outside in a protected location. It helps to divide them before planting in the ground in the spring. The majority come back this way.

o

I have two varieties that are fully hardy in the ground year-round with no fussing at all, and we have gotten down to -22 F. One is a beautiful coppery color (a mix of reds, oranges, and yellows close up) and very double, and the other is a single daisy-like flower, pink with a yellow center. So, maybe look around and talk to the garden centers in your area to see if there are any locally available varieties that you can just grow year-round in a half-barrel planter, an old chimney tile or in the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here