Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elise_

moonflower vine

elise_
19 years ago

I planted moonflower vines in various areas of the yard this year along with "Blue Heaven" morning glories. The morning glories have done GREAT--blooming like crazy and looking gorgous and still going strong. The moonflower vines grew just as vigorously, but have not flowered. I noticed last week that they finally had a few buds scattered here and there, but still have not seen a bloom and time is running out!

Has anyone had luck with these in central Maine? Do they take a longer season or hotter summers than morning glories? I guess I was under the impression that what was good for one was good for the other and that their requirements and bloom times were the same, but perhaps I am wrong. Anyone out there a moonflower vine grower that can help? Thanks!

Elise

Comments (10)

• mainerose
    19 years ago

My experience has been like yours. Lots of blue morning glories (and some gorgeous purple ones, too----Grandpa Ott? or something like that). In fact, I didn't even bother to plant moonflowers the past 2 years. I did get a few blooms the year before that. I was VERY disappointed in the fragrance. I expected it to be much stronger. I think that my zone is just too chilly for these plants.

• veilchen
    19 years ago

I grew them for two years, just to experience those flowers unwinding in the evening and the scent. They do take much longer than morning glories. I would start them inside in peat pots, transplant out (followed by exasperation because they seemed to take forever to take off, wouldn't want to grow until the weather got hot), then they would grow into monster vines that would take over the trellis with no flowers, til finally late in summer I would get buds that would start to open. Then it would get too cold at night for it's liking, the buds wouldn't open, we'd have a frost, and the show was over.

The scent was beautiful but I suppose you need a lot of flowers for the full effect, hard to do in ME, because by the time they finally start to flower, it gets too cold out. I gave up on them.

• elise_
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, it's good to know that it isn't just me. The buds got absolutly enormous, but the temp drops so rapidly in the evening now that they never unfurled. I saw yesterday that they were starting to wither without ever having opened. I don't know if starting them earlier will really help. I got these as well established plants from the local nursery, so they were already pretty big when I put them in. I'll probably try again next year before giving up completely. Maybe if I start them REALLY early under a bell jar....

• gardengardengardenga
    19 years ago

This year was exceptional overcast and rainy and cool. Morning glories should be started as soon as possible when the soil gets warm...did it ever get warm this year?! lol

I start mine indoors about early May in a greenhouse, A sunny window might work as well.

Soak the morning glories in room temp warm like for a babys bath water over night before planting.
    If you have grow lights I've heard of people using their T.V. ( because it is on so much) to heat under neath, or just ontop of anything but a granite counter.

If growing indoors, once they are seedlings remember they are sun worshippers and will get leggy if you dont have enough sun light. As small plants you could sit them outside in full sun until time to put in the garden- Just remember to bring them in at night.

• veilchen
    19 years ago

Elise, I'm not sure if starting them earlier will make that much of a difference. I have heard of people actually planting the seeds where they are to grow after the soil warms and still have blooms.

I have started them 1)very early; and 2)early (didn't have enough faith in just planting the seed in the ground.) The ones I started VERY EARLY grew quite large in the house, even put on a bud. But once transplanted outisde, they forgot their idea about blooming. They were set back due to the colder temps outside (even though it was well into June) and probably transplant shock. They pretty much started over--I could have planted seeds next to the transplants outside and they probably would have been at the same level. The ones I started EARLY didn't prove to be much different.

The moonflowers will not take off until the soil and air temp stay consistently warm (hot?).

• Cindy_T
    19 years ago

I had GREAT results with moonflower in '03 by starting them early and then planting them into 5 gallon *black* plastic pots. I used that plastic netting that Christmas trees are wrapped in for them to climb on and put one pot on either side of the front door (south exposure). They needed water twice a day in the containers, but I'm convinced the extra heat from the black pots made all the difference. They bloomed all summer and were just spectacular.

• veilchen
    19 years ago

That's a good idea Cindy! I was going to suggest planting them in large containers, and keeping them in the containers once they went outside vs. transplanting, but didn't know if it could be done.

• fernzilla
    19 years ago

Hey There:

Moonflower Vines LOVE heat, and do grow much faster, as
    the temps reach 80's. I planted seeds several years ago,
    and they grew up a 6' high chain link dog kennel. They
    really didn't start blooming good until the middle of Summer, when it was consistantly in the mid 80's or more.
    They were shaded partially by a very large oak tree and got about half day's sun. They bloomed beautifully, and
    smelled divine. They also attracted some huge exotic looking
    moths.
    If I can figure out how to upload a picture to this site, I will ad pictures of mine in bloom.
    I live in Memphis, so the Summer here is very HUMID
    and hot.

• Texanflowr
    18 years ago

I bought several moonflower seeds and haven't planted them all this season. Can they be stored to plant later? If so, how would I do this? Thanks for any help you can give me.

• silverkelt
    18 years ago

Hi!

Yea, I tried growing these with some morning glories as well. Experienced the same problems as you did, plants grew no flowers, didnt try them again, will growing them early help or is all the mater of heat and water ( I always have a tendancy to go away for a vacation and the poor morning glories are always wilted =(.

Silverkelt

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths