Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting bulbs

Posted by mainerose 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 22, 07 at 21:41

I have a bunch of daffodil bulbs to plant, but it's been so warm I'm afraid they'll start to grow if I put them in the ground. I admit I'm a real ignoramus when it comes to fall plantings. Is it safe to put them in when it is still so warm or must I wait until it's cold enough to freeze my tush?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting bulbs

I haven't planted mine yet. The ground is still pretty warm and, like you, I'm concerned that they'll try to grow. OTOH, I'm beginning to worry that they won't have time to get established if they don't go in soon.

o

I planted mine last week. The warm temps won't last, and as of yesterday the typical fall weather is back. You can plant them well into Nov. as long as you get them in before the ground freezes.

o

My nderstanding wih most bulbs is that it's ok if they grow some in the fall.I know my Alliums and Muscari all started to grow. I planted many of my bulbs, including 100 or so narcissi in mid October into Mid November. Some folks advise to plant as much as 4-6 weeks BEFORE the ground freezes.

I guess I'll find out in the Spring!

Not to advertise or anything, but Scheepers sent very nice bulbs...at very good prices. Haven't tried Bulbs Direct yet, and they don't offer the large variety Scheepers does, but they have some pretty sweet specials...200 bulbs for under $20, with a nice variety, including narcissus, muscari, allium, etc.

If it hadn't snowed on December 1st, I was tempted to buy MORE bulbs and plant them on my day off. Unfortunately, it snowed, so now bulbs for me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here