Return to the Maine Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hazelnuts/filberts?

Posted by leasa 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 07 at 10:06

Got this from a friend today, anyone have an answer:
Hi Leasa,

Do you know of anyone in Washington County who is growing american hazelnuts/filberts? I've got two 18" plants that will grow to be shrubs. Got them at FedCo. I'm thinking about getting some more because I love the idea of having my own little nut garden, but I'm surprised at the lack of on-line info about growing these in Maine. It may be that there's a really good reason why, which might cause me to spend my plant money elsewhere. Any thoughts from your master gardener connection?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hazelnuts/filberts?

Off thread, but Leasa, how is the house coming? I followed your posts in the spring when you so willingly met that great challenge and enjoyed the 'before' pix you posted.

I'm down in Biddeford.

Barbara

o

Jonesboro here. Don't know much about the hazelnuts but there is a bunch of japanese chestnuts growing in Lubec and I hear they are large trees. There is a Mr. Nielson in Whiting that knows a lot about nut trees and has some just starting to bear. I have a bunch of black walnuts from upstate NY that are doing well. Let us know how you make out. He also has other interesting fruit. He is on the north side of rt. one.

o

I have wild hazelnuts growing. They do produce nuts, but the critters beat me to the nuts every year. It's pretty amusing to see the squirrels trying to balance out on those whippy little branches. The wild plants are shrubs, probably topping out at around 6 or 7 feet. Sorry I don't know any sources.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maine Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here