Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_in_maine

The catalogs are coming, the catalogs are coming!

Cindy_T
19 years ago

Wow! The first seed catalogs of the season arrived yesterday from Stokes and Pinetree. I can remember when they didn't show up till after Christmas and now they're here when I've just barely gotten the garden put to bed for the winter. I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing... :-)

The Pinetree catalog is really amazing. I'm so impressed by the depth of their offerings, especially vegetable seeds. And I love that its a Maine owned and operated company. No, this is not a paid advertisement. ;-0

Happy reading, everyone!

Comments (12)

• robin_maine
    19 years ago

I'm a happy woman - Fedco came today. I order most of my seeds through them. I got Johnny's commercial and Stokes Monday. I requested a catalog from Carolina Seeds a few days ago and got it today. I'm set now. What I don't get from Fedco will come from Johnny's. I'm heading for the couch with the colored pens and start circling things I know I'll be ordering.

• veilchen
    19 years ago

Hey, I didn't get my Pinetree catalog yet!

• chicken_lady
    19 years ago

I've gotten Pinetree and Thompson & Morgan so far. Can't wait to get more!

Cathy

• gardengardengardenga
    19 years ago

stokes, pine tree, Johnnys today!

• chicken_lady
    19 years ago

Yesterday, Seymour's Selected Seeds, Totally Tomatoes, Vermont Bean Seed Company, and McClure & Zimmerman. Gotta get down to the mailbox and see if anymore came today!

Cathy

• veilchen
    19 years ago

Got my Pinetree yesterday.

• maineman
    19 years ago

I got Seed Savers catalog yesterday. They specialize in heirloom seeds. A few days earlier I got Pinetree and Stokes. I definitely will be ordering some stuff from Stokes. I'm glad they increased the size of their catalog.

I guess I am going to have to request a Thompson & Morgan catalog. I bought several packets of their seeds last year, but it was off of a Thompson & Morgan seed rack in our local Longfellow's Greenhouse store. I may have the same problem with Johnny's. I bought a bunch of their seeds off the rack and placed no order through the catalog. Oh, well.

Maybe this year I will put more emphasis on ordering from catalogs. I really like to get seed catalogs in the mailbox. I just wish I had a bigger garden so I could try more new things.

MM

• gardengardengardenga
    19 years ago

has anyone ever tried the purple carrots? they are new in Johnnys. I wanted to try them, but have rocky soils here (maine).

• cicada
    19 years ago

"Seymour's Selected Seeds, Totally Tomatoes, Vermont Bean Seed Company, and McClure & Zimmerman"

I got all these catalogs at once, they are all the same format, and all seem to have been mailed from the same place -- are they all owned by the same corporation or is this just some way of producing and mailing catalogs more efficiently?

• Cindy_T
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I don't know about Mc Clure & Zimmerman, but you're right about the other three. They, along with HPS, are all owned by the same parent company - Jung, if memory serves me. FWIW, a lot of folks on the tomato forum are concerned about the lack of accuracy in the TT descriptions.

G4, you aren't the only one with rocks! I've all but given up on carrots! LOL!

Has anyone other than Robin gotten the Fedco catalog? I'm still waiting for that one. I want to order a bunch of herb seeds this year and they always have a good selection.

• gardengardengardenga
    19 years ago

Fdco is always late for me, I havent gotten it yet either

• Cindy_T
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Phew! Fedco came today; now I can get down to serious ordering!