Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bspofford

african violets

bspofford
17 years ago

Are there any southern Mainers with an interest in african violets? Do you possibly know of someone that is?

I would love to have an informal group to meet with, exchange ideas, maybe plants, etc. Boston is just too far to go.

Barbara

Comments (4)

• robin_maine
    17 years ago

I love my violets. I can always count on having flowers in the house because of them. One of them isn't looking good right now. I knocked it off the counter and it landed plant side down. It's a good thing they're tough plants. There's a lot of damage but it's going to be fine.

• bspofford
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, Robin,

Ah, a kindred spirit!

Sorry to hear about your flying violet. I too have a flyer. I repotted it when it was in full bloom (first mistake) and for some dumb reason I turned the pot over to look at the bottom (second mistake) and that violet jumped right out of the pot and landed on its head. I did that twice to the same plant in the same evening. Incredibly, there was no damage, not even a broken leaf to start new plants. I think the blossoms cusshioned the fall.

Have you been growing violets for a long time? And has it become an addiction for you? Any interest in an informal get together down the road? I live in Biddeford.

Thanks for responding to my post.

Good growing,

Barbara

• robin_maine
    17 years ago

Have you ever seen a yellow AF? My step-mom says she's heard of them but has never found one. She'd love to have one.

I'm 90 minutes northeast of Bangor. Maybe we could exchange leaves to root when the weather warms up?

My flying violet has bright green leaves popping up in the middle of the dark green. It looks a little odd but at least I didn't kill it!

• bspofford
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, Robin,

Yep, there are violets with yellow, but I haven't seen any face-to-face. I don't know if there is a true all-yellow hybrid, but many whites with yellow markings. I suppose it is only a matter of time before all-yellow is developed.

There is a website for the African Violet Society that has a wonderful library of photographs. Check under the 'g' for varities with the first name 'gold' or 'golden' and you will see some photos.

Weather warms up? Man, my yard is so confused......

By the way, there is a great forum on this site for violets, lots of good information.

I'll have a ton of leaves to get rid of in the spring.

Barbara

Here is a link that might be useful: african violet society

Sponsored