Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_in_maine

Favorite Sweet Pepper?

Cindy_T
18 years ago

The Fedco catalog came this week and they are discontinuing Fat and Sassy, our long time favorite sweet pepper. I am *not* a fan of Ace, so I'll be looking for a new favorite sweet pepper this year. Any suggestions?

Thanks! Cindy.

Comments (9)

• robin_maine
    18 years ago

I'll be watching what everyone else is going to do. Fat 'n Sassy was one of my two favorites. The other is also dropped because it's a Monsanto seed. My catalog still hasn't come. I'm getting impatient.

• maineman
    18 years ago

Cindy,

Gurney's lists Fat 'n Sassy hybrid sweet pepper seed and plants. ContainerSeeds.com also lists Fat 'n Sassy Hybrid sweet bell pepper seeds. Vesey's also lists them, as does Reimer Seeds. I would expect that at this time there are also other vendors of Fat 'n Sassy sweet pepper seeds.

However, since Monsanto has acquired Seminis, the breeder of Fat 'n Sassy hybrid sweet pepper, those seeds may come into short supply. Fedco doesn't like the idea of dealing with Monsanto, one of the leading suppliers of genetically modified agricultural seed, and other seed companies may be similarly inclined.

MM

• Cindy_T
    Original Author
    18 years ago

MM,

Thanks for your response. I'm familiar with - and fully support - Fedco's position. Thus the hunt for a new variety! :-)

I'm still waiting on my catalog from Tomato Growers Supply; they usually have a big selection of peppers.

Cindy

• maineman
    18 years ago

Cindy,

Well, Fat 'n Sassy hybrid pepper is not genetically modified, so there would be no reason not to continue growing it from seed from other sources, such as those I linked to. Since it is early and cool weather tolerant, I may try it myself.

If you prefer not to grow Fat 'n Sassy any more, you might be interested in Redstart from Stokes Seeds. I grew them this year with good results. Redstart and Fat 'n Sassy are both 65-day peppers.

MM

• Cindy_T
    Original Author
    18 years ago

MM,

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll put Redstart on my list of peppers to try.

I understand that Fat 'n Sassy isn't GM; I just choose not to knowingly do business with Monsanto.

Thanks again for the suggestion!
    Cindy

• lamb_abbey_orchards
    18 years ago

{{gwi:1042598}}

Hands down, THE BEST sweet bell pepper I've ever grown is a variety called Ariane Hybrid (photo above). I've never had sweet peppers as sweet and succulent. It's also very productive as well as disease resistant. I subsequently grow it every year.

I get my seeds from the Tomato Growers Supply Company. Here's their description of it:

Ariane Hybrid - #9200 (20 seeds) $3.20
    Rich orange color and fabulous sweet flavor in a big, blocky bell pepper are what make this pepper outstanding. This is a Dutch variety that yields large harvests of truly gorgeous orange fruit. Plants are resistant to tobacco mosaic virus and have plenty of foliage to protect developing fruit. A superior variety that should be included in any sweet pepper garden. 68 days.

It's also available in wholesale quantities through their printed catalog or by calling Tomato Growers Supply Company directly for pricing. Individual packets of seeds can be purchased online from here:

Ariane Hybrid

Happy Growing!

John

• Cindy_T
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestion! I haven't placed my order with TGS yet and will add Ariane to my list. That catalog is just plain dangerous :-)

Cindy

• lamb_abbey_orchards
    18 years ago

Cindy:

Agreed. The TGS catalog is dangerous. Same with www.chileplants.com, www.tomatofest.com, and www.rareseeds.com. They just make it too damn tempting and easy.

I think the same philosophy applies here as applies to grocery shopping on an empty stomach: Stay the hell away when you're hungry.

John

• Cindy_T
    Original Author
    18 years ago

John,

Great websites!

Cindy
    she who dies with the most seeds wins...