Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_dollmaker

Where can I get seeds?

The_Dollmaker
19 years ago

Anyone know a store in central or western Maine where I can get a packet of viola seeds for a Christmas present? I know, I should of thought of it earlier in the year! It's even too late to mail order because I have to send the gift to Minnesota.

Comments (6)

• bitterwort
    19 years ago

Well, if you don't find any near you and if the seeds alone are the present, you might see if you could get them in Minnesota instead. In-state shipping might be faster. I'm in Minnesota. I can't recall if the seed stands are usually out this early, but I often get seeds early (perhaps January) from Bachman's in Minneapolis. You might contact them if you don't have any luck otherwise. Other options to try would be Linders in St. Paul and Gerten's in Inver Grove Heights--they're both fairly large too. (A search should turn up their web sites).

Here is a link that might be useful: Bachman's site

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    19 years ago

Violas.. what a nice gift!
    Thompson & Morgan (in New Jersey) ships very fast-the next day. Give them a call and they will send them right away, even probably to the Minnesota address. Check their site. I have grown the 'magnifico', and they were very nice.
    tel.: 800-274-7333
    Fax: 1 888-466-4769

You might also try Johnny's selected Seeds. I am ordering from them for the first time, so I don't know how fast they ship.
    Good Luck
    Anne-Marie

• The_Dollmaker
    Original Author
    19 years ago

It's part of a whole gift. My son embellished a plastic plant pot with stenciling, and we want her to have the pot& violas for her condo terrace. We chose violas because his name is John and another name for violas in Johnny Jump Up. I am going to go and check my mother's shed, she may have some un-opened packets left. I should try to find out if there is a way to harvest seeds from our own. I don't know how they do in pots, but I think it would make a nice present for Grandma. Maybe we can just send the pot and a note that the seeds will arrive under separate cover, that way she'll get seeds packed for `05. From Johnny's - wouldn't that be fun!

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    19 years ago

Maybe we can just send the pot and a note that the seeds will arrive under separate cover, that way she'll get seeds packed for `05. From Johnny's
    LOL!! Thank you for the story behind the question!! Why don't you tell her that she can only get what goes in the pot if she guesses what 'Johnny' has for her... that way you are buying yourselves some time! or that "don't let the content jump out or it might hide for a while.. Johnny"
    Happy holidays!

Anne-Marie

• The_Dollmaker
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Fun ideas, thank you!

• gardengardengardenga
    19 years ago

I have some violas for trade of you like. I collected them myself. Email me if you are interested.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida