Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pequafrog

White Christmas

pequafrog
18 years ago

So we're stuck here in Long Island, New York for one more Christmas. It's supposed to be 50 and rainy on Sunday. Good Grief!

But what about your Mainers? Are you guys going to have a white Christmas this year?

-Drew

Comments (6)

• veilchen
    18 years ago

Well. We have a few inches of snow on the ground, but I hesitate to call it snow. It was snow until last week when several hours of ice/rain fell on top of it. You could call it "hard snow". Yesterday (after a week of freezing temps that preserved the hard snow) it got up to the mid-40s, which turned the hard snow into "slush snow". Then it rained last night and melted a lot of the slush (of which a good amount seeped into my garage).

Today 40s again. On Xmas, rain/snow predicted. Yes it is still fairly white when I look out at my backyard, but I wouldn't want to walk in the stuff.

Merry Christmas, Drew!

• maineman
    18 years ago

Veilchen,

I have been walking on the stuff. Each step is like breaking through the ice shell. I use spikey boots with those sharp pointed attachments that ice fisherman use to get some stability.

Well, we just got another beautiful snow on top of our crunchy snow and a deer left a lot of tracks in the new snow. It was apparently looking for something to eat. I felt kind of sorry for it. Apparently they don't need spikes like I do.

Now the new snow is melting some and relaxing the load on the sagging tree limbs. But we're having a white Christmas anyway. With all the snow and trees, we're living in a Christmas card. That's kind of nice.

Merry Christmas, you all.

MM

(Looks like we might have a white New Year, too.)

• veilchen
    18 years ago

Down here we're having a rain Xmas. Most of the snow is melted and what remains, I would hesitate to call snow. It rained on the 23rd and it rained again last night.

I very much enjoy the warm temperatures, I do not like the cold. But I don't think the ground could be any more saturated than it is now. This has been the wettest fall (now winter) that we have experienced since living here. But IMO, sometimes I think it's better to come down in liquid form rather than blizzard form.

• maineman
    18 years ago

Veilchen,

We had a white Christmas. We got some rain today, but not enough to melt all the snow. And fresh snow is now falling again. We expect one to three inches by morning.

MM

• veilchen
    18 years ago

Our rain turned to snow last night and we got a light dusting of white stuff to cover up the slush and mud underneath. More warm temps and rain predicted later this week.

• robin_maine
    18 years ago

Our rain turned to snow last night. We woke up to 5". Parts of northern Maine has 28" and it was still falling according to the 6 p.m. news yesterday.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert