Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beagler1776

Split an order of chicks to central MD anyone?

beagler1776
16 years ago

Like Jane, I'm not sure if anyone even checks in here anymore...

I am looking to order no more than a dozen day old chicks... Was hoping to find someone to share an order with as I otherwise would need to order the 25 minimum for shipment. Hoping to get sexed Buff Orpingtons, Wyandots and EE... Am new to all this (but of course have lurked like crazy at GW learning)and am open to anyone's suggestions. I've already contacted my local feed and tractor store but they won't take orders - you take whatever they get in... Am also open to local folks with young pullets to sell (or just meeting other chicken & garden obsessed neighbors). Thanks for any replies/ideas!

Leslie

Comments (5)

• jane_artist
    16 years ago

Oh gee! I remember getting chicks and ducklings in the mail as a kid! The shipment of mixed ducklings was mine to raise and care for--I've had a soft spot or them ever since. Unfortunately, they are farm animals and as such are specifically forbidden within these city limits.

• scausey
    16 years ago

You can raise poultry as long as it's at least 100 ft from residences. We have in Damascus. Watch out for raccoons and foxes, though, they wiped us out several times. I'd love to share, but need to repair the coop first. I saw some plastic fencing for poultry that would last longer than the chicken wire we used at American Fabric and Netting, which is online. Good Luck! Susan

• scausey
    16 years ago

One of my friends just got some chicks from a neighbor who is hatching eggs - send me an email and I'll give you her contact info. Also, my husband told me that Tractor Supply in Mt. Airy has chicks for sale, so you might want to give them a call.
    Susan

• beagler1776
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Susan Thank YOU very much for checking in over here and offering such great suggestions! I did find a(somewhat) local feedstore that would/could order the breeds I'm looking for and am eagerly awaiting their arrival. Should have some Buff Orpingtons, Wyandottes, R.I.R and even CornishXs and guineas by May. Those, along with the beautiful large goldfish I picked up from "Watergal" here at MAG exchanges will keep my kids entertained and me even busier! Am just so thrilled that spring has finally sprung and I can start new projects like my pond and dividing, dividing, dividing my plants to make MORE! ;-)
    Happy gardening, (maybe we'll meet at the swap?)
    Leslie

• scausey
    16 years ago

Hi Leslie -- I'm glad you found a source for chicks -- they're a lot of fun, but a lot of work, too. I don't miss slogging out to feed them in the winter! It's always fun to check for eggs. I used to let them wander around the yard from time to time outside their pen, but they were very distructive to the gardens. They always make a beeline for the most lush place that will have worms to scratch (my husband was not pleased, as his gardens were always more popular with the hens, and they'd leave a circle of mulch outside the edge of the whole garden. Your kids will have fun catching them -- I used to have a heck of a time rounding them up back to their pen - it was pretty hilarious. I currently have a nest of deer mice in the laying boxes; not very useful, but cute (as long as they stay outside).
    I'm not sure if I'll make the swap, as I really shouldn't be adding anything at this point, but it would be fun to come and meet people and talk gardening.
    Susan

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21