Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

Ever admired a Greyhound? Help?

cfmuehling
18 years ago

I'm a thought I'd post this here in case there are those out there who have room, or know of someone who might. This is a horrible situation with beautiful, little souls at risk.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 7:27 AM

Subject: Greyhounds...Urgent NEED for homes...

I am posting this for a shelter in MA. it is an urgent need for homes for hundreds of greyhounds due to the closing of a race track...

If you can adopt or foster a dog please contact them, they only have about 2 weeks before HUNDREDS of dogs may be euthanized...

CONTACT: Dakin Animal Shelter (in MA) at 413-548-9898 Further post on this Subject: http://www.livejournal.com/users/jedi_007/64126.html

The greyhound track in Plainfield, CT voted on April 26th that they would discontinue greyhound racing. Unfortunately - and heartbreakingly - they've also decided that rescuers have only two weeks to get the dogs out, and any dogs remaining at the track on May 14th will be euthanized. This is a monumental task because there are at least 500 dogs currently at the track. These are all young, healthy dogs, 2-4 years of age, who would make great family pets.

We've committed to saving as many dogs as we possibly can in the next two weeks.

How can you help?

Adopt a greyhound: They're wonderful dogs - gentle, quiet, sweet, and graceful. The ones we'll be getting will be good companions with other dogs and with cats. Surprisingly, they're couch potatoes. They do need to be in a fenced area or leash walked; they aren't dogs to let run loose. For information on what it's like to take a greyhound home, visit www.greyhoundgang.com. To find out what greys we have available for adoption, call us at 413-548-9898 or visit our dog adoption page at http://www.dakinshelter.org/dogs.html.

Foster a greyhound: We will provide all their medical care and a crate to make their transition easier.

Donate money: We are going to need extra funds to help these dogs for crates and medical bills. You can send a check to: Dakin Animal Shelter, 163 Montague Road, Leverett MA 01054, or donate online at http://www.dakinshelter.org/support.html. Please mark your donation "Save the Greys".

Donate a large dog crate: We need these to send with the dogs going into foster care.

Spread the word! The more people who know about this tragedy, the more help the dogs will get.

Greyhounds are lovely, gentle dogs...

Greys are not hyper - they're actually couch potatoes!

They love to run - for about 5 minutes - in a safe, fenced area.

Greys spend most of their day snoozing and adore soft sleeping places and all the comforts in life.

They are actually very good dogs for apartments or small homes because of their low activity level.

They are very clean dogs, and in some ways are very catlike in their cleanliness and love of comfort.

Most greyhounds - including all the ones we'll be getting - can live with other dogs and cats, once they've been introduced, and actually love living with other animals.

They rarely bark and shed little.

In their life on the track, they live in crates for 22 hours per day, so most things in the 'real world' are a surprise to them.

They've never seen simple things such as: slippery floors (wood, tile); stairs; television; windows; cats; dogs who are not greyhounds!

They generally housebreak very easily because they're completely crate trained (they aren't housebroken because they've never been in a house, so they have to learn what a house is!).

They walk very, very politely on leash - they learn that at the track.

Greyhounds are very good companions for homes with gentle children because of their own gentle nature.

- - - - - -

So if you know of someone who might be able to help, please forward this on!

Thanks for reading,

Christine

Comments (6)

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Christine,

I don't know what Dakin is doing, but I got caught by the same email. The facts are that the state of Connecticut has laws about this and the greys won't be destroyed. Some are being moved to other tracks, and the kennel at Plainfield will stay open until all of the healthy and adoptable greys can be moved. Here's a link with much happier info! http://greyhoundtails.com/index.php.

Katie and all of her friends thank you for caring about them!

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, Cynthia. Thank you for such good news!
    All of my 7 cats and 3 dogs are rescue, and I was trying like a crazy woman to justify and rationalize adding greyhounds into our space. Arrrrghhhh!

I appreciate you sending me the links.
    Christine

• resqpet2
    18 years ago

I'm soooooo glad these dogs aren't going to be destroyed. I volunteer with 2 rescue groups - www.allbreed.org and www.samrescue.com and this got me sick when I first heard about it. We have 2 rescue dogs + 4 rescue cats and it's what I devote my life to when I'm not gardening . Thanks Cynthia for bringing me up to date.One less crisis to worry about .
    Debby

• lynnt
    18 years ago

That said, Galen left a couple large dog crates here when he and his Labrador moved out a year or so ago. There are also a few leashes, water dishes and the like. I have been too lazy to haul them to the local shelter, and sort of thought that a better use would emerge -- and so it has. Cynthia et al, how can I get them to somebody who can use them, like this rescue effort?

Lynn

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lynn,
    Rude Ranch out here in Harwood could use them. I'd pick them up.

You might benefit from a Y@hoo group system called Freecycle. They're also listed on Freecycle.com.

They're community based, and if you want to find something or want to get rid of something, you post it on the list. The rules are:
    1) It must be as described
    2) It must be free
    3) The Wanter must be willing to pick it up.

I got rid of excercise mats and a dog "igloo" in less than 15 minutes. Plus, the people drove from NoVA and Huntingtown respectively to get them!

With you doing so much clean-up...
    Christine

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Greyhound Welfare right here in Maryland could use those crates if they're greyhound sized (about 30" x 40" - rough)Lynn. I would be happy to pick them up. Even though this wouldn't directly help the dogs in Connecticut, we get our dogs from New Hampshire, so every dog we bring down here is one less dog to find a home for in New England! One of the biggest fears over the hype that Dakin is putting out is that rescue groups will shift to Ct dogs (who are safe) and stop taking dogs from, say, Florida. Then the Florida dogs will be at risk. It's rougher down there.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures