Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: looking for: eggplant recipe

Posted by DawnStorm 7/MD (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 23, 04 at 11:19

I got an eggplant plant at the PG County swap in May, along with a recipe for a dip. Of course, I didn't remember the recipe (it was not written down). Can whoever gave me the recipe and the plant e-mail me? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: looking for: eggplant recipe

Hi Dawn,
It was I-- boy it was hard to talk you into taking that eggplant! LOL

Roasted Eggplant Dip (Baba Ghanoush)
for 2 cups:
3 med eggplant (about 3&1/2 - 4 lbs)
5 tsp tahini (can substitute 1 Tbl peanut butter plus 1 tsp roasted sesame oil the dark kind)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Juice of 1 large lemon (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbl. good olive oil

Prick the eggplants a few times and roast in a preheated 400 degree oven 45-60 minutes until flesh is very soft. When cool enough to handle, split open & scrape insides into food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients and puree until smooth. Good with pita bread, pita toasts, veggies, lavosh chips, wheat thins, just about anything.

You can adjust the garlic-- I like lots. I've also just roasted a full head of garlic, as is, brushed with olive oil, along side the eggplant. You have to use twice as much, but it's a smoother flavor. Just squeeze the roasted cloves out of their skins into the food processor. You can find tahini in most supermarkets these days, and you can always find sesame oil in the Chinese section.

o

I almost forgot-- I wanted to start a new recipe thread, but I'll do it in Conversations....

o

Eggplants,Egyptian Style

-4 Eggplants
-3 cloves of garlic
-4 medium-sized beef tomatoes
-vegetable oil for frying
-salt
-cayenne pepper

-Peel eggplants and cut into semi-circles.

-Marinate in salt for half an hour and then wash.

-Heat the oil in large frying pan and fry eggplants on both sides until brown .
-Place the fried eggplant pieces on kitchen towel and cover them up with one to absorb oil

-Stir fry the garlic cloves ,but don't brown them

-Cut the unpeeled tomatoes into medium -sized pieces and add to the garlic and stir until you have a sauce with chunks of tomatoes in it.Add cayenne pepper and water if necessary.
-Remove the sauce from the fire and add the eggplants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here