Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrismd_gw

HAVE: food list for mag spring swap may 6 in Burtonsville md

chrismd
18 years ago

This is the secret to our great swaps - those who don't bring PLANTS bring FOOD. Preferably homemade and loaded with calories 'cause it's tough work doing all that trading and socializing. Extra points for food with chocolate. And if you have no plants and no talent in the kitchen, we still need supplies, and drinks, and ice, and potato chips.....

Non-food Needs:

-Self-adhesive labels for participants (Nothing fancy, I used old Floppy Disk labels for the Fall Swap)

-Charcoal and Lighter Fluid for Charcoal if you're planning to grill

- a few non-gardening husbands to run the grill (makes 'em feel useful).

-Utensils

-Napkins and Paper Towels

-Paper Plates-Paper or Plastic Cups

-Large Heavy Duty Garbage Bags for Clean-up

-Anything I've forgotten to list.

Food:

-Beverages

-Appetizers

-Main Courses

-Brownies

-Other desserts

-Condiments: Mustard, Relish, Catsup, salt & pepper.

-Rolls if you're having hot dogs and burgers

Also, this is a great place to show off your very special recipes that your family won't touch, like lavender flavored shortbread or zucchini fudge or whatever - CAUSE IN THE INTERESTS OF BOTANICAL SCIENCE, WE'LL EAT IT!

Comments (28)

• lvmygrdn
    18 years ago

It's a beautiful day today and I am looking forward to spring and the swap. I will bring, pasta salad (non-meat), Should I bring a non-gluten one as well? I will also bring some Cowboy Caviar which is a pumped up salsa with corn, black beans and avocado. YUM! Tortilla chips, Sour Cherry Almond Cake, Broccoli slaw. Did I mention brownies? Brownies too.

• avoirgold
    18 years ago

As I just moved into my house at the beginning of fall, I will provide food in exchange for glorious wonderful plants! :-)

Texas Sheetcake (think brownie, cake, and fudge all rolled into one)
    Deviled Eggs
    Plastic Cups

• heyruthie
    18 years ago

I'm planning to bring some little bite-sized cream puffs....since we'll all be burning a lot of calories, running around, looking at plants!

• kellyray
    18 years ago

OK...if I say I'll bring the utensils, then I'll *have* to come, right?

So, I'll bring:

Utensils!
    Some sort of bread with strawberry freezer jam
    and/or a fruit salad

I *should* arrive by 11:30.

• kimka
    18 years ago

I assume the masses would expect one of my "Bravarian" apple tarts, so I'll plaan on bringing one.

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

Kim, I was just thinking of that tart.... I always start with dessert first, so I always have room.

I've enjoyed LynnT's and Steven's jambalaya at previous swaps, so I thought I'd bring some this time. Can't go wrong with that. Oh -- definately for carnivores only.

I'll pick up some little bowl things and soup spoons, too.

Food folks, remember that at the last spring swap we had over 70 cars with multiple people in them. Plan big!

Christine

• madsquopper
    18 years ago

Cathy says she probably won't have time to do the truffles, but will make cheesecakes instead (chocolate and regular). According to everyone else these are quite good. Me, I hate cheesecake. Even if it's squid-flavored.

Larry

• Laurel7286
    18 years ago

Well, I really can't say except it won't be dessert. That's because a)there's always plenty of that at the swaps, and b)it will be something I'm trying out before my son's graduation party June 10. Don't you all love being guinea pigs?

• busyasabee
    18 years ago

I'll bring my usual: babaganoush, pita bread, and a green salad.

Jette

• gardnwatch
    18 years ago

I will bring a Sonoma Chicken Salad and Peanutty Chocolate Banana Bread.
    Bonnie

• chrismd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm planning to bring the usual Lentil Tofu Salad and something else to be determined.

• juliat
    17 years ago

I will bring paper plates and napkins. I might bring food too, but am not sure... if I do, it will probably be another green salad (so Jette won't have to make enough for over 70 people)

• cecilia_md7a
    17 years ago

I'm bringing an Italian(ish) Pasta Salad. It will be meatless but not vegan, as it has cheese in it. Might bring some snacks (chips & salsa, etc.), too, if I have any extra.

• collectordi
    17 years ago

I'm bringing Spinach dip and chips and veggies.

• dawnstorm
    17 years ago

I will be bringing a delicious bean/onion salad.

• heyruthie
    17 years ago

Is anyone bringing beanie weenies? Maybe we can bring a pot of those--just 'cuz my kids love 'em.

• brenda444
    17 years ago

I'm going to bring chocolate chip banana pudding cake (or cupcakes) and some snack that is yet to be determined.

• spanaval
    17 years ago

I'll try to bring a Rum Cake with rum glaze that I don't particularly like, but other people seem to. Way too much rum in it, I think, but I'm told that there is no such thing as too much rum. I was hoping to also bring my Chicken Biryani and Raita, but don't have the bandwidth for it right now.

I better go grocery shopping if I hope to get that cake done. It tastes better with sitting. Or so I'm told.

Suja

• stephsgarden
    17 years ago

I have no plants to bring this time, as my garden was just planted last summer. I don't even have empty pots or aloe vera like I did at the Fall swap. Everyone was so nice and generous at the fall swap. I had a great time and left with many plants. So, to make up for not having any plants to trade with, I plan on bringing lasagne, maybe a salad of some sort, and definitely a pan of yummy high-calorie, high-fat extra chocolately brownines. Looking forward to Saturday,
    Stephanie

• treble
    17 years ago

I will just be 10 weeks out from a renal transplant this weekend, so the garden has pretty much flying solo for the past year. I'm supposed to be limited in my gardening activities (not too much exposure to soil, fungi, spores, etc), so I'll stick with food (a salad and a cold noodle dish) and a lot of fantasizing about my return to the garden. Looking forward to this wonderful event.

• beagler1776
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    Seeing as our kitchen renovation is STILL not finished (not that I'm a great cook anyway...)I'll be bringing cans of lemonade and Lipton Tea & bottled water, along w/hard pretzels and cookies.
    Thanks to all you real cooks (I'm salivating just reading this list)!!!
    :) Leslie

• madeleinef
    17 years ago

I will bring brie and crackers, and mustard.
    Madeleine

• katiefloy
    17 years ago

Well I'm new to this whole thing and came across this website today. Sorry this is so late. I'd love to come to the plant swap. I don't have any plants but I do have a bunch of plastic pots that came with some plants I just recently planted. I also will bring soda since i don't think i saw anyone bringing drinks. I'll also bring my SO who will probably love to spend time with a grill since we haven't gotten one yet.

• chrismd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Katie,
    Just come. Drinks sound just fine.

• shadyside
    17 years ago

I'm bringing paper towels, cups (probably not enough!) and trash bags plus some food

• rosewomann
    17 years ago

I'm bringing my usual: pita & hummus.
    This time my own recipe(not Trader Joes). Hope you like garlic! Can't wait to see everyone & talk plants ;-)

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Do not worry!!!! I have the hotdogs, 56. And rolls, 48. I hope there are a few doggies around to eat 8 hot dogs without rolls :-)

• treehouse
    17 years ago

Rachel will eat a hot dog without a roll.

Can you all believe she is two years old!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last you saw her she was 5 months old!!!