Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

have: list for 2007 mag spring swap

cfmuehling
17 years ago

2007Spring MAG Swap: Plants you Have List

DIRECTIONS for the HAVES list:

• If you're new to the swaps, please take the time and have the courtesy to read these posts. They're here to help everyone have a good time.
  • Yes, you can come if you don't have any plants. Your assignment will be to bring brownies food. Anything chocolate that you'd normally bring to a pot luck will be fine. Food & other contributions can be discussed under the MAG SPRING SWAP FOOD thread. Please chit-chat about it there, not here.
  • Post a list of the plants you HAVE on this thread, ideally with Latin names as best you can to avoid confusion, and cultivar names if they have them.
    This thread is not for your Wants. :) That's what the MAG Spring Swap: Plants you Want thread is for.
  • Yes, Please also list other garden stuff, such as seeds, tools or books, or all things Garden that you wish to swap or give away. Another man's trash....
  • Read other people's lists. If you see things you want and would like to swap or trade for, e-mail the person directly to arrange it. Do that via private email by clicking on your person's name at the top of their post.
    Do NOT arrange the swap or trade on this thread, please.
  • Do update your posting here and your member page with your Haves and Wants; feel free to link your post here to any Plant Exchange page you may have.
  • This is important:

When you bring your plants, MARK RESERVED PLANTS (i.e., plants for which you have a pre-arranged swap). LABEL your plants if possible. We often forget which was what by the time we get them home! Popsicle stick, plastic spoons, or other "plantable markers" are great, as they can be popped right in to the ground along with the plant.

At the swap, please do NOT take anything that is labeled for someone else, or is NOT labeled "Free" or "Please Take." Ask. That's all you have to do.

• Questions? just include them in your post here, but please don't ask something addressed a gudzillion times. If you're asking and the answer is here, I'm going to know you've not appreciated my epic work.
  • Have fun finding new homes for your surplus plants and discovering new plants you didn't know you needed!

Did I forget anything? Of course! So, let me know so I can fix it!

Wishing everyone a great swap! Happy gardening,

Directions to Gardengramma's House

Comments (145)

• bethbonemiller
    16 years ago

I too have an update after 4 days of working in the garden!

Centranthus ruber is all spoken for - sorry

achillea - pink pastel
    centaurea montana - mountain bluet
    convallaria - lilly of the valley
    coreopsis verticallata - threadleaf coreopsis
    dendranthema - 'Clara Curtis'
    polygonatum (biflorum?) - plain solomon's seal
    stachys byzantina - lambs ears

Did I mention that I have some wild columbine? TONS!!!

Beth

• spanaval
    16 years ago

Beth, I'll take all the wild columbine you can spare, and Callirhoe if you still have some. I have acres of woodlands to repopulate. I tried sending you an email; I guess it didn't make it. Please email me at spanaval at yahoo dot com.

• wishdesign
    16 years ago

I'm really looking forward to attending the swap again this year! Things are still popping up, but here's what I have for sure right now:

Forsythia
    Corkscrew Vine (vigna caracalla) seedlings
    Passiflora Incarnata seedlings
    Lily of the Valley
    Bee Balm (unknown color)
    Creeping Thyme
    Orange ditch lilies
    Black-eyed Susan vine (thunbergia alata) seedlings
    Jacob's Ladder (budding now and looks to be mostly white with a few purple)
    Ozark Sundrops (oenothera macrocarpa)
    Thornless raspberries
    Variegated Vinca Major
    Mint: peppermint, spearmint
    Night Blooming Jasmine (small rooted cuttings)
    Luffa (angled and smooth)
    Bittermelon
    Cucumber "Diva"
    Aunt Molly's Ground Cherry
    Miltomato "Vallisto"
    Ping Tung eggplant
    Tromboncino squash
    Orangeglo watermelon

Tomatoes (all small seedlings, only one or two of each):
    Cherokee Purple
    Opalka
    Kellogg's Breakfast
    Brandy Boy
    Ernesto
    Rinaldo
    Ernie's Plump
    Kimberly
    Black Plum
    Kalman's Hungarian Pink

Figs (rooted cuttings, one of each):
    Panachee
    Brown Turkey
    May also have Alma and Celeste, if they start showing roots soon

I'll probably bring some extra wintersown seedlings as well (zinnias, dahlias, cosmos, agastasche, impatiens, marigolds, etc.).

--Jean

• collectordi
    16 years ago

Jean, I'd love a corkscrew vine. Please email me at dkilcullen at cox dot net and we can see what I could bring you.
    Diana

• leslies
    16 years ago

Here's my HAVE list:

campanula trachelium

clematis maximowicziana (or whatever they're calling sweet autumn vine these days)

Ispahan - damask rose. Once bloomer, vigorous, healthy, fabulously fragrant, finished by the time the JBs arrive. Big rooted plants

seedlings: I pot the seedlings up with several plants in a pot, easy to separate.

annual sunflowers for cutting (shorter, branched plants):
    Moulin Rouge
    Valentine

annual sunflowers for treating with caution (very large):
    Mammoth
    Lemon Queen

zinnias
    Pompon
    Pinwheel
    Pulcino

marigold 'Lemon Gem'

"strawberry" foxglove That's what the commercial seed package says, but I don't know whether they're just pink d. purpurea or d. mertonensis

digitalis alba

digitalis purpurea 'Glittering Prizes'

broom corn

centranthus ruber

cheiranthus allionii (charming orange annual wallflower)

corydalis sempervirens

'Amish Paste' tomatoes

nemesia 'KLM' and 'Mello' (blue and white and red and white)

lychnis flos jovis - not the same as l. coronaria but clearly related.

sage - for eating

• kilngod
    16 years ago

Additional haves:

Hardy ice plant
    Monarda (red/wine color)
    Iris (unk color/s)

• kilngod
    16 years ago

Additional haves:

Hardy ice plant
    Monarda (red/wine color)
    Iris (unk color/s)

• kilngod
    16 years ago

Gardenweb is way glitchy today.

Forgive the duplicates.

• gardnwatch
    16 years ago

A few added "haves" for anyone that wants them.

Star of Bethlehem bulbs in bloom - Ornithogalum unbellatum
    Rose Campion- Lychnis coronaria
    Hosta- all green
    Phlox- Tall pink (maturity 3ft) starter plants

Seeds from 2006 Artichoke.. ornamental I think
    Milkweed
    Black hollyhock

• watergal
    16 years ago

Anyone interested in pond plants besides foodeefish? They are kind of a pain to pack and bring unless I know someone will be interested in them. (Don't worry, foodeefish, I'll bring yours!)

How 'bout houseplants? I have some extra tropical foliage plants I really don't have room for.

• watergal
    16 years ago

One more addition to my have list:

Castor bean seedlings

WARNING: When they will set seeds, the seeds are highly poisonous to pets and kids (and adults too). The foliage is also somewhat poisonous. Poisonous only if you eat them, not to the touch.

My dog has developed a taste for grazing on the foliage, so I have decided not to plant these. Anyone want them? They get quite tall very fast, good for a tropicalismo bed.

• busyasabee
    16 years ago

As of today (4/29/07), here's what I will be bringing:
    achillea (pink, white)
    phlox
    foxgloves
    columbines

• foodeefish
    16 years ago

I have a kidney shape plastic pond liner- It's approximately 2.2' X 4.5'.

I am willing to trade for vegetale plants- tomatoes, Peppers, Eggplant, any veggies.

• bunlover
    16 years ago

As a "seasoned" newbie having attended the last 2 swaps, I still am not up to speed with the proper latin names of most plants. I have the following to trade:

Varigated leaf Liriope
    Iris-medium purple

Also noticed an interest in bunny manure--we use in our organic vegetable garden, so I have a limited amount I could bring.

• kimka
    16 years ago

Hey Bunlover, send me an email. I have at least one of your wants.

KimKa
    Kim.Kaplan"at"ARS.USDA.GOV

• cecilia_md7a
    16 years ago

Here's an update:

My tomato seedling crop has been really poor this year for some reason. I will have several, though. I will also have a few sweet peppers, and some roses:

- A huge "Banshee" - pink, fragrant, once-bloomer. Henrietta, do you want it for your rose hedge?

- A smaller "Banshee"

- a "Shailer's Provence"

- a couple of very small plants of the noisette Crepuscle - note that if you live in Zone 6 it probably will be too cold for it

I will also have assorted seeds and gardening magazines, and some unidentified iris and maybe some other things I dug up for the fall swap that I missed.

Janet M. might have some plants for me to bring along, as she can't make it to the swap.

• LynneinMD
    16 years ago

I think my mystery shrub is a spirea. It grows to about waist height (but I think it should have been cut back severely in the fall) and has tiny pink flowers that don't last very long. I have three or four bushes of it that really need a new home. If you want the largest bush in all it's glory, let me know, otherwise, I'm going to cut them all back, divide them and plop them in pots (I'll leave a branch or two for identification, though). I really hope someone wants this - they're nice bushes but in the wrong place in the yard and we just don't like them.

Lynne zachsmom at iname dot com

• leslies
    16 years ago

beagler1776 - did you get my email?

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Adding to my haves:
    Ornamental Grass "Dwarf Hamlin"
    Creeping Jenny (coming out my ears; thanks all!)
    Monarda "Raspberry Wine" (aggressive reseeder)
    Monarda "Mahogany" (slow grower, I have less)
    Monarda "Jacob Klein" (LynnT...?)
    Plume Poppy (aggressive reseeder, but lacey yellow flowers)
    Helianthus (AGGRESSIVE reseeder, but electric yellow)
    In Vlad's honor, if someone's looking for really nice strawberry plants? Let me know. Not only do I have some to share, but I'm heading down to help Erick pot up for the swap.

I'm going to have a bunch of this stuff, so don't worry about me running out. I'm willing to travel later to share.

Christine

• tvalenti
    16 years ago

Hi,

I have lots more things growing then I thought. Here is my updated list.

Azalea - large white (only ones the result of layering can be brought to swap)
    Barberry
    Catmint
    ornamental grass - zebra grass
    Nandina domestica - Heavenly Bamboo (too big to bring to swap)
    Achillea (not sure of color)
    Varigated vinca vine
    Evergreen vinca
    Monarda (dark pink)
    Liriope
    Zebra Grass
    Hosta (unknown what type)
    Tomato seedlings (cherry type mixed - yellow pear, jelly bean, gardeners delight)
    Wild Red Raspberries
    Winter sown - white butterfly bush (very very small)

• zebz
    16 years ago

I have four small clumps of St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum).

habitatzee aT yahoo dot com

• lynnt
    16 years ago

I apologize for not posting sooner -- I am studying for a certification exam next Wednesday, and don't know how much time I will have to dig. Check my GW wants list if there is anything you GOTTA have now; I will be happy to have visitors in June for shovel tours (after the next two exams are done, and when the iris will be better divided).

For now I have:
    Monarda Blackberry Wine
    solid-green hosta plantagenaria (fragrant blooms)
    hellebore orientalis seedlings
    giant burnet (related to salad burnet -- ornamental bronze mound for part-shade)
    hellebore foetidissima
    seedling viburnum serrata (nice shrub)

if someone wants, I can bring
    iris tectorum (japanese roof iris, blue or white)
    marsh marigold
    tovara virginica "painter's palette"
    solidago Fireworks
    large miscellaneous seedling-origin phlox (probably magenta)

LynnT

• lynnt
    16 years ago

Now I learn that I will need to be at a lab Saturday morning -- if there is anything people really need from my list, I will try to get them to Christine's house on Thursday evening or Friday. Sorry, gang!

Lynn

• alisonmd
    16 years ago

Sorry to be so late. I have
    Â Perennial ageratum, Eupatorium coelestinum
    Â Saxifraga stolonifera (Mother-of-Thousands, Strawberry Geranium)
    Â jerusalem artichokes
    Â Mountain mint, Pycnanthemum virginianum
    Â Marsh marigold
    Â Basil seedlings (Genovese and Thai)
    Â Tomato seedlings (Mortgage Lifter and Campari)
    Â Pepper seedlings (Pusa Jwala)
    Â Lavender seedlings (Lavandula augustifolia, hidicote and stoechas)
    Â Purple cone flower, Echinacea
    Â Forget me not
    Â Monarda, lavender
    Â Ozark sundrops (Oenothera macrocarpa)
    Â Evening primrose (Oenothera biennis)
    Â Blackberry lilies
    Â Heliopsis Helianthoides
    Â Lamium maculatum, (yellow flowers)
    Â 3X arborvitae, green giant
    Â Golden Groundsel, Packera obovata

Interested in:
    hardy geraniums, hostas, woodland natives

Alison

• christy2828
    16 years ago

Gardenwatch, I'd love to trade for your milkweed! I sent you an email through GW, but I know they don't always go through.

To add to my 'have's' list:

2 Heuchera 'Purple Palace' (I think)

mayo1315 "at" verizon "dot" net

Thanks! Christy

• zebz
    16 years ago

Will also bring a few seedling clumps of Spotted Jewelweed (Impatiens capensis).

zee

• dawnstorm
    16 years ago

WaterGal, I'll take those castor bean seedlings. I can plant them in my front yard where my pets are not allowed. Their domain is the grassless backyard. ;)
    You can e-mail me: DawnPalkaATverizonDOTnet

• christy2828
    16 years ago

zebz, I'd love a clump of jewelweed! Check my trade list, if there is anything you want :) Christy

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm also interested in jewelweed.
    I wrote to WaterGal about the castor beans, but again, I don't think it went through, either.

This is frustrating, isn't it? Perhaps we should arrange a separate thread that says: HAVE: a trade with ....

Christine

• spanaval
    16 years ago

Can you set up a Google or Yahoo! email and get around EarthStink and their blocking? That might be the easiest way to get around this.

Also, I seem to have trades setup with about half the people here (you should see my spreadsheet; it's ridiculous!). So, if you want to use me as your proxy, I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

Suja

• cecilia_md7a
    16 years ago

Janet M. dropped off a bunch of alliums for me to take to the swap - she's not sure what variety they are, but the leaves are about a foot tall and the flowers are about the same color as chives flowers.

• zebz
    16 years ago

Christine, I'll bring some jewelweed for you. Haven't yet figured out what I might want from your list. Are you still adding to it?

zee

• leslies
    16 years ago

I found several geranium macrorhizums (I am pretty sure these are 'Ingwersen's Variety') and will bring to swap.

• zebz
    16 years ago

I have a tulip poplar(Liriodendron tulipifera)that has to find a new home. It is currently ~ 3 feet tall. Supposedly it doesn't transplant well, probably because not enough of the taproot can be dug out, and it really shouldn't be planted too close to structures.

If anyone wants this, I'll try to dig it up versus just chopping it.

• kilngod
    16 years ago

Additional Haves (seedlings from wintersowing/volunteers):

Dianthus "black magic"
    love lies bleeding
    Mini Sunflowers (granddaughters of Incredible, parents 1ft tall)
    Bleeding Heart
    Zinnia, dwarf pompom mix
    Zinnia, "green envy"
    Snow-in-summer

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wish Design,
    May I have some of your Corkscrew vine?

Zee, I'd take your Tulip Poplar off your hands. :) I'm adding a bit below (3rd time) but if you have a wish list, let me know. There's a chance....

Lynn, if you're still getting rid of your Spirea, I'll come dig it later. We also discussed a fork at Susan's, but got carried away chatting at your truck. If you still have it as an extra, I'd love it.

Kilngod, I'd love some Dianthus 'black magic' and Zinnia 'green envy' if you have any left.

I've written to everyone about these, but don't think any mail has made it through the frontier.

I am adding to my list:
    Solid lime green, upright hosta
    Green and yellow mounding, medium hosta
    Ditch lilies
    a TON of Heuchera 'Purple Palace'
    and a bunch of either Red 'Fairy wings' columbine or
    blue 'Beidermeier' columbine. They're seedlings, so your guess is as good as mine.

Goodness.
    I'm glad I started potting ahead!
    Christine

• zebz
    16 years ago

Christine,

I'll bring the tulip poplar for you, but can't promise anything about it's continued lifespan after I dig it up. I don't have a large enough pot, so it will be wrapped in wet newspaper and a plastic bag.

Regarding the jewelweed for you and Christy, it will most likely be greatly wilted once it is dug up. However, I sent some to Pennsylvania with my sister once and when she planted it, it perked up -- then the deer ate it.

zee

• zebz
    16 years ago

Christine,

I forgot to say that I'd like some of your Monarda "Mahogany"

zee

• kaffeina
    16 years ago

i'm out of the brunnera but should be ok for the rest:

Lily of the valley
    Sweet woodruff
    Variegated solomonÂs seal
    Hosta
    Rooted pussy willow cuttings
    Black eyed susan
    Pink/yellow coreopsis
    Helianthus
    Deep purple Siberian iris
    Pink primrose
    Cherry bells campanula
    Forget me nots
    Adenaphora
    Bridal veil mullein
    Violet mullein
    Pink obedient plant
    Caryoptsis
    Red crepe myrtle
    Brunnera
    Clematis vine
    Hosta
    Sedum autumn joy
    Blue spruce
    Spring blooming white daisy
    Shasta daisy (I think itÂs becky)
    Dock plant
    Mint
    Feverfew
    Wall flower
    Bunny ears grass
    Baptisia

• leslies
    16 years ago

zebz, my neighbor gave me a liriodendron in the fall of 2005 and I moved it last fall when it was already 5' tall to its permanent home. It didn't miss a beat either time (and I wasn't gentle last year (in the cold, in the dark and in the rain). A spring move will probably be harder, but I'll bet it will be OK.

• spanaval
    16 years ago

I have a bunch of Tulip Poplar, so if this one doesn't work out, Christine is more than welcome to come on over and dig up as many as she'd like.

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Suja,
    Would you buy a house closer in?
    To me?
    It would be fun... I promise.

C.

Kaffiena,
    Tell me about your blue spruce? I'm interested.

Thanks!
    C.

• LynneinMD
    16 years ago

Christine, if Zee's tulip poplar doesn't make it (and Suja decides to stay where she is instead of moving closer in), there is a source in Bowie as well. I got one last fall that did well after transplant but didn't make it through the winter. The person I got them from has many more seedlings/saplings, and I'm sure we could go get one if we ask.

You can come dig my spirea (and some hosta) whenever you like. There is a big spirea that has your name on it now. (Sigh of relief!) I'll bring some parts of smaller ones to the swap though, in case anyone else wants some. And I'll try to remember the fork, but if I forget it you can have it when you come get the spirea..oh, wait, maybe I should hold the fork hostage, and you can use it to dig up the spirea.. =)

Lynne

• spanaval
    16 years ago

Christine, I'm not sure either of us can afford to live any closer to each other than we already do. Can you imagine the amount of trouble we'll get into? I'm not sure the wallet (or the marriage) would survive it.

• tabassam
    16 years ago

Christine, would you like to trade dicentra alba for hosta elvis lives?
    Tabby

• kaffeina
    16 years ago

i forgot to say blue spruce SEDUM sorry folks

btw the crepe myrtle is spoken for now

isn't it fun packaging your plants and getting them ready for a new home? ("you my dear are going to live at gardengrammas house" )

• kaffeina
    16 years ago

zeb

i'd love a Spotted Jewelweed seedling

• zebz
    16 years ago

Kaffeina,

I'll bring some jewelweed for you. Haven't yet figured out what I might want from your list, so I'll take my chances tomorrow.

To everyone: I'll be turning off my computer now and won't be back online before the swap. If anyone else requests something, I'll not see it. Sorry. See y'all tomorrow.

zee

• christy2828
    16 years ago

I still have 4 now rooted and in an Oyama Planter 'Vince's Choice' African Violet:

{{gwi:2103038}}

and 1 now rooted and potted in an Oyama Planter 'Deadly Sting':

{{gwi:2103039}}

I'm putting promised plants in bags right now, so if you're interested in any of these, please let me know, I'll stick it in a bag with your name on it. Otherwise, I'll have them tomorrow. See ya there!! Christy

Also, I still have a small bottle of Phyton 27, if anyone wants it, otherwise, I'll have it tomorrow. :)

• christy2828
    16 years ago

Oh, and email me at mayo1315 "at" verizon "dot" net, not sure if the other is working :) Christy

Sponsored