Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

wanted: list for 2007 mag spring swap

cfmuehling
17 years ago

2007 Spring MAG Swap: Plants you WANT List

DIRECTIONS for the WANTED list:

If you're new to the swaps, please take the time and have the courtesy to read these posts. They're here to help everyone have a good time.
Yes, you can come if you don't have any plants.

1. Post a list of the plants you want, ideally with Latin names to avoid confusion, and cultivar names if they have them and you know what they are.

2. Read other people's lists. If you see things you want and would like to swap or trade for, e-mail the person to arrange it.

3. Do NOT arrange the swap or trade on this thread.

4. Do NOT post a list of plants that you HAVE for swapping or trading on this list. There is a separate HAVE thread for this purpose.

5. Do NOT discuss who will be bringing what kind of Bavarian apple tart food to the swap. There is a separate HAVE thread for food.

6. Do update your member page with your Haves and Wants.

7. Much more info on the Haves list thread.

Wishing everyone a great swap! Happy gardening,

Directions to Gardengramma's House

Comments (80)

• spanaval
    16 years ago

Shady Lady, would you email me please at spanaval at yahoo dot com? I have a couple of small Hydrangeas (Hydrangea serrata 'Pretty Maiden' and 'Kiyosumi' I think) that you may be interested in.

And I was -> Suja

• layne_nova
    16 years ago

Wanted list
    -----------------------
    Vegetable
    Tomato
    Tomato 'Kellogg's Breakfast'
    Tomato 'Cherokee Purple'
    Tomato 'Matina'
    Or any type tomato you deem good.

leafy vegetable small to medium size

-----------------------
    Tree
    Dogwood flower dog wood, red/pink
    Fig tree Any hardy variety local to MD/NoVA/DC
    Blueberry Any

-----------------------
    Flower / grass
    blue grass
    aquarium plants, low to medium light requirement

• firstkim
    16 years ago

Hi, all! It's been awhile, but a few of you may remember me. I was the one who brought half-a-dozen or so plastic 50 gallon barrels to the spring swap last time we were in a severe drought. (Unfortunately I won't have the opportunity to get more before this swap.) I'm in a new, smaller place now, and have gradually been transforming bare yard into gardens. I had to leave a few things behind that I'm really coming to miss. Maybe someone here can help fill in the holes.

Virginia Bluebells
    Acuba (someone had a field where these grew as weeds)
    Sedum Acre (yes, really!)
    Geraniums (cranesbills, not zonal)
    Blue-eyed Grass
    Cinnamon Fern
    Ostrich Fern

And if anyone needs to thin their beds, I'll take as many of any kind of daffodils as they want to toss in my direction.

I'm looking forward to seeing old friends again and meeting new ones, too!
    Kim Stark
    ktstark AT comcast DOT net

• firstkim
    16 years ago

In thinking about what I left behind, I forgot to list my new loves!

Salvia (most any kind) and
    Pulmonaria (any kind)

• firstkim
    16 years ago

Shadylady - please email ktstark AT comcast DOT net
    I'd like to talk to you about daffodils and Virginia bluebells.

Thanks.

• sfmiller
    16 years ago

Any of these would be welcome:

Alchemilla mollis (lady's mantle)
    Phlox 'David'
    pulmonaria (any)
    heucheras (other than 'Palace Purple')
    tiarellas (any)
    heucherellas (any)
    perennials that can take direct afternoon sun and occasional wet feet (for a low-lying spot)
    ornamental grasses that aren't too tall (2 to 3ish ft.)

I put a haves list on the HAVES thread (now out of date), but will keep an updated one on my GW Exchange page (url below).

Steven

Here is a link that might be useful: my exchange list

• shady_lady
    16 years ago

I nearly forgot! I've been on the lookout for Cyclamen hederifolium - hardy cyclamen.

I've sent e-mails out last night to all who responded to my previous post - Thanks!

Donna
    hannova#SPAM-ME-NOT#@earthlink.net
    (remove the # and stuff between)

• shady_lady
    16 years ago

..and Dwarf Dahlias (anything around 12" tall). My garden proper has various degrees of shade, but my deck gets full sun (oh, the irony!) and I'm looking for some colorful perennials that will take to being in containers.

I'm done now. Really!

Donna
    hannova#SPAM-ME-NOT#@earthlink.net
    (remove the # and stuff between)

• jenfee
    16 years ago

Hi all,

I'm a MAG swap newbie, and I have my first truly permanent garden ever (I've moved 15 times in the last 10 years and every time the backseat is reserved for plants). Needless to say I've been dreaming of this spring.

I would be interested in hardy herbs, "cottage-y" perennials (like daisies, echinacea, iris, rudbeckia), and small, creeping container-friendly things (like lobelia and alyssum). My particular favorites are nigella, columbine, and plants that "look like things" (eyeball, candy corn). I would also be interested in leaves or cuttings from unusual succulents.

You can contact me at jenfee AT gmail DOT com

Thanks!

• christy2828
    16 years ago

I am looking for Phlox 'David', and a few Golden Euonymus, if anyone has some of these to spare :) Check my trade list (the cherry tree is gone). Christy

• tabassam
    16 years ago

Hello all, I could always use and appreciate any of these:

compost
    Daylilies
    Irises
    Shasta daisies
    Echinea
    Hostas
    origanum kent beauty
    Clemantis 'Betty Corning'
    trillium
    dicentra
    salvia guaranitca
    rymex sanguineus
    Breynia disticha nana
    ornamental potatoe vines
    coleus
    white coccinea salvia
    eucalyptus pulverulenta
    dark colored elephant ears

Please check my have list in my member page. Thanks, Tabby

• beagler1776
    16 years ago

Hi all, as usual, I'm looking for anything to help fill this previously barren landscape...

anyone have an extra handful of early snowdrops???
    bergenia or other early spring perennials
    forsthia (need lots)
    sweet autumn clematis or ANY VINES bittersweet, silverfleece, wisteria, trumpet creeper
    lady's mantel
    Husker's Red Penstemon
    ANY daylillies esp. love Happy Returns but would use ditch (orange) ones too
    ANY baby trees or shrubs
    anything with winter interest/berries/evergreen etc.
    TOMATOES n veggies always treasured too!
    a couple morning glory seeds
    THANKS and I look forward to seeing you all and eating CHOCOLATE! ;)

Leslie
    Beagler1776**AT**aol**DOT**com

• giverny
    16 years ago

My Hens & Chicks didn't make it through the winter for some reason, and if anyone has Blackie or King of Spades sweet potato cuttings I would really appreciate it!
    mea DOT zick AT arbitron DOT com

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

A reminder to check the 'Food' list and add your contribution there. It's only two more weeks until the swap! Our hostess is providing a beautiful location....we need to provide everything else :-)

• mauross
    16 years ago

I'd love to get the following:
    Corydalis
    Forget me not
    Dicentra eximia

Shade plants esp. Adiantum (maidenhair fern, Helleborus orientalis, tiarella,
    Basil and cilantro

I have the following available (sorry):

Epimedium rubrum
    Obedient plant (pink, lots)
    Vinca
    Lamiastrum (lots, "vigorous" but easy to pull up)
    Monarda 'Marshalls Delight'
    Euphorbia var. robbiae (Robb's spurge, travels some)
    Ajuga 'Burgundy Glow'
    Dwarf aruncus (limited)
    Lysimachia clethroides (lots)
    Stachys lanata
    Penstemon 'Huskers Red' (lots)
    Daylily unknown (peach/pink/yellow)
    Some Siberian iris blue and white
    Ceratostigma plumbaginoides (false plumbago)

Thanks!

• foodeefish
    16 years ago

I am looking for Bears Britches and any Succulents.

I have Soloman Seal to trade and brownies.

• kilngod
    16 years ago

I'd be thrilled to find any of these:

Acanthus mollis or spinosis (Bears breaches)
    Anise
    Alyssum golden (perennial)
    Asparagus
    Bay Laurel
    Borage
    Canastache, any
    Dusty Miller, any kind
    Edelweiss
    Goatsbeard
    Heuchera (coral bells), any kind
    Hollyhocks, Black or Brown or minis
    Hostas of any kind (can plant lots)
    Hyacinth Bean vine, any kind
    Iris (Rust color, brown, grey, black)
    Jacobs Ladder, any kind
    Lady's mantle, any
    Lions tail, Leonotis
    Liriope, any (can plant lots)
    Matteucia struthiopteris (Ostrich Fern)
    Mimosa pudica (Sensitive plant)
    Money plant, any
    Monkshood, any
    Obediant plant (not white please)
    Shiso, purple
    Tiarella
    Tomatoes - any black, white, yellow, orange
    Anything black, brown-but-not-dead :), grey/silver (foliage or flower)
    Anything for full or part shade (tall, short, flowering or not)...that isn't english ivy.

• bethbonemiller
    16 years ago

I'm always looking for:

low growing plants that like sun in a rock garden
    shade plants for a woodland garden
    cardinal flower (can't make it grow, but I keep trying!)
    blue phlox
    trillium (does ANYONE have this cause EVERYONE wants it!)
    tiarella
    spring bulbs

emmiller AT comcast DOT net

• gardnwatch
    16 years ago

Foodeefish..
    Send me your email address please.

Bonnie

• collectordi
    16 years ago

I'd love to get:
    Ok, some are within the realm of possibilities others maybe not
    Any Clematis other than Sweet autumn
    Any Dogwood even tiny seedlings
    Any Epimedium
    Verbena bonariensis
    Hyacinth bean vine
    Ajuga 'Catlin's Giant'
    Any Corydalis especially blue flowered ones
    Purple smoke bush Cotinus coggygria
    Crambe maritima
    Forest Pansy Redbud
    Geranium pyrenacium 'Bill Wallis'
    Any Penstemon except 'Husker's Red'
    Any Campanula

• beth_b_kodiak
    16 years ago

here is an add on for my list.
    Bergamont
    beebalm
    Monarda
    Whatever you want to call it. I planted six about a month ago and see no signs of any of them being alive.
    I'll take any color as it is for the butterfly garden and I'm sure they don't care either.

• zebz
    16 years ago

Mauross wants Corydalis and Forget-me-Nots.

I'll have a few itty bitty pieces of Corydalis cheilanthifolia (yellow flowered) and Forget-Me-Nots. Look me up at the swap. My name tag will most likely say Zee, versus Zebz.

• wishdesign
    16 years ago

I would love to find any of the following:

Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Mints: any fruity types besides orange mint
    Rosemary
    Borage
    Anemones
    Daylilies (any that aren't orange)
    Bleeding Hearts/Dicentra
    Campanulas: would love Cherry Bells or similar
    Clematis
    Columbines, especially pink
    Grape Hyacinth (muscari)
    Helleborus: any!
    Hens and Chicks
    Hydrangeas
    Lavenders
    Lilies
    Any nectar or pollen producing flowers for bees (this is our first year beekeeping!)
    Anything for shade (ferns, epimediums, may apples, hostas, etc.)

I'd also appreciate cuttings of the following if you don't have extra suckers or starts:
    Mulberry
    Rose: any white or light pink climbing
    Weeping willow

And finally, I can also always use large pots, flats, compost, manures, mulch, bamboo poles or anything that can be used as a trellis. :)

--Jean (wishdesign AT verizon DOT net)

• leslies
    16 years ago

I don't have a lot of "wants" but there are a couple of things I'd love to have a chunk of:

salvia 'Black and Blue' I killed mine :-(
    alchemilla mollis, lady's mantle
    a big blue hosta - any of the really monstrously large ones

• leslies
    16 years ago

One more "want"

small plastic pots - I keep giving mine away at the MAG swap!

• busyasabee
    16 years ago

I would love to get the following if available:

Blue monkshood
    Lots and lots of Lambs ears
    Hostas (variegated)
    Brugmansia
    Gardening magazines
    Cleome
    Lily of the Valley
    Hydrangea Paniculata (Pee Gee) white
    August lillies

• bunlover
    16 years ago

Although I have been to the last 2 swaps, I am rather new to this group and gardening, and am still not up to speed with the official latin names of plants. However, I love perenials and reseeding annuals. I am interested in the following:

Veggies--all, especially tomatoes and hot peppers
    Hostas--all varieties, especially larger leaf
    Ground Cover--creeping, sun = morn to early afternoon
    Daisy's--all
    Black-Eyed Susans
    Cone Flower
    Lily of the Valley
    Coreospis--any
    Sedums--any
    Anything for Butterfly garden
    Anything for Shade
    Love yellow and blues/purples

Looking forward to the event!

• leslies
    16 years ago

OK, I guess there's no such thing as a limited "want" list. Does anyone have a hellebore to spare? Seedlings welcome!

• LynneinMD
    16 years ago

Someone was asking on the 'have' thread about leftover/unwanted plants - I don't think there's much danger of plants getting left, but if there are any unwanted plants left, I'd be happy to take any that would be safe/happy at my childrens' school, they did a big green-up this past weekend and could use some more plants.

Does anyone have any unwanted rocks/fieldstones? I'd be happy to come collect them if you do. I'm looking for something that is fairly low (or can be sunk into the ground a bit) so I can make path edgings but still be able to mow over them.

Lynne
    zachsmom at iname dot com

• kilngod
    16 years ago

There's no such thing as too much hosta or liriope for me....feel free to put any of these straight into my car :)

(It's maple tree desperation talking here.)

• lynnt
    16 years ago

Although I won't be there in person, I can't resist trying to make a few trades -- especially since Christine has been kind enough to be willing to act as my intermediary. Also, I do expect to be at Vlad's memorial, so if need be we can exchange some plants there -- I'm sure Vlad would not have minded!

I sent emails via Gardenweb to a few folks, but perhaps you would be kind enough to confirm here, so I know what to bring to Christine's on Friday:

Mauross, do you have a spare dwarf aruncus and maybe some ceratostigma? I can send you some Gladwin iris or Iris tectorum if you like, or check my list.

Annebert, would you have an uncommited dicliptera left, and perhaps a tecomaria? I don't see a wants list for you...

Wishdesign, I would be delighted to send you a whole bucket of grape hyacinth in return for a caraculla and a ground cherry or two.

Alison (weatherers) can I ask for some blackberry lily? I can send you LOTS of tovara, and think I can roust out a hellbore foetidissima.

By the way, kilngod & CollectorDi, I will look to see if my hyacinth beans have begun to sprout yet. The shiso has just begun to emerge -- I will have TONS of that by the end of May if someone wants to come by for a shovel tour after my exams are done...

That should hold me -- I don't want to be greedy. But I will certainly miss seeing you all!

LynnT

• howndawg
    16 years ago

Nothing like posting at the last moment! I have always depended upon the kindness of strangers.
    I'm interested in plants:
    - for a dry, shady slope,
    - that attract butterflies and birds,
    - also looking for herb plants.
    Looking forward to Saturday.

Thanks,
    Stan (Howndawg)

• wishdesign
    16 years ago

LynnT--

I didn't get your email, but I would love to trade the corkscrew vine and ground cherries for the muscari. Thank you so much, and sorry you can't make it to the swap!

--Jean

• leslies
    16 years ago

kilngod, if giverny is offering them this year, ask her for mayapples. The ones she gave me last year are doing fine under a very large, very thirsty maple. Also wild ginger might do OK. If no one is offering it this year, let me know, and I'll dig you some of mine.

• kilngod
    16 years ago

Thanks Leslies - I've got a trade with giverny for the wild ginger already thinking those would work (and will be there a little early lookin' for mayapples).

LynneT - thanks for thinking of me on the hyacinth bean, though i didn't see anything that you were looking for that I have. Sorry we wil miss you at the swap.

I too emailed through GW to a few -- foodeefish (solomon's seal for succulents), tabassam (cherry bells for iris), madsquopper (bear's breaches for ??), mauross (dwarf aruncus, obediant plant for forget-me-not) -- as the emails weren't public to members. If any of you see anything on my list that interests you, please email me! If not, searching around at the swap is plenty of fun & I didn't do enough of that last year...I'll come find you :)

A sooo excited swapper,
    Tina (kilngod)

• spanaval
    16 years ago

Tina, I can sympathize with your Maple tree desperation. I have a very large silver maple that I'm doing battle with. It has a high canopy, so it is sunny and very, very, dry under there. What I've found is that xeric perennials do very well under those circumstances. The Agastache that I have to be careful with under other conditions is going nuts and multiplying like mad. Sedums really like it there. On the shadier part, I have Lamium established, and they're doing very, very well. I bet that epimedium and some Hellebores will probably be okay there as well. Just some extra ideas for you.

• alisonmd
    16 years ago

Mauross,
    I don't think, my email to you went through. If still available, could I have some Epimedium rubrum and Obedient plant. I have (from your list) basil and forget me not. Also, check out my list on "Haves"
    Thanks
    Alison
    weatherer at starpower dot net

• lynnt
    16 years ago

One last thing I forgot -- has anyone got any spare rhubarb? I haven't seen it at the big box stores this year for some reason, and I have saved a big space in my new sun bed for it...

Thanks!

LynnT

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm am so bummed.
    None of my cannas came back. The mice made nests of them in the garage and chomped on the bulb things. I was hoping.

Does anyone have any red cannas with burgundy foliage? I love Red Futurity and will probably buy some if no one has any to trade. I figured it doesn't hurt to ask.

I've also lost a Huechera (or heucherella) 'Ebony and Ivory.' I'd love to trade something for some of that. It's a perfect little plant. The voles thought so, too.

I'm building wire mesh cages for everything this year. Screw this.

Christine

• kimka
    16 years ago

I know its last minute, but does anyone have a nice divisiono f brunnera--Chinese forget me not--that I can have?

Email me at Kim.Kaplan@ars.usda.gov

• kaffeina
    16 years ago

chinese ginger
    ferns
    garden phlox
    linaria
    pastel irises
    bird's foot violet
    penestemon (not huskers red)
    anything with white blooms
    catmint
    calamint
    deep purple campanula
    anything with deep purple flowers
    anything with bright orange flowers

• watergal
    16 years ago

Christine, I have a Red King Humbert you can have, and I might have a Phaison left (striped foliage, not burgundy). Let me know if you're interested.

I have a big old metal bread box that I use to store my canna rhizomes. Although now I've outgrown it and also use heavy plastic buckets with lids, Rubbermaid storage containers with lids, etc. I also suggest strategically placed mousetraps.

• watergal
    16 years ago

I have white siberian iris. Let me know if you want me to save you one.

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Watergal,
    I'd love the canna. I'll pass on the water iris, but I'll bet Bonnie would jump on them. If it has the word "iris" in it, she loves it. :) White would compliment her purple.

I have just learned that I don't need to lift canna around here. I had no idea and will try not to this next season. If elephant ears continue to survive, I think if I do my normal, 3'' mulch, the cannas should, too .

Mouse traps: Rich caught 23 mice in one afternoon. We ran out of peanut butter and they started eating the trapped ones. Totally pukey. It'll help when we're not under construction anymore. In 10 years when that happens.

Thanks for the canna. :)
    Christine

• watergal
    16 years ago

Christine, wow, where are you that's a zone 7b? I'm SO jealous!

I've had Red King Humbert make it through the last 2 winters in a fairly protected spot in my own yard, here on the line between zones 6 and 7. I've never had any other cannas make it through a winter outdoors, though.

From my observations around the area, it seems that the red flowered ones are more winter hardy than some of the more exotic varieties.

I DID have a zone 7 giant calla overwinter this year outside. Yippee! With such a late winter and so much wetness, I didn't expect it to make it. It's on a well-drained hill. Maybe next year I'll have enough to bring to the swap. It looks like a speckled elephant ear. Here's a photo (you can buy one if you don't want to wait!):

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/03695.html

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wish Design:
    I'll bring you strawberries (we talked about this, no?) and I can bring you both chocolate mint (yes, smells like chocolate mint) and spearmint. let me know if you need both.

Busyasabee:
    Find me. I'll have named and unnamed verigated hosta.

Watergal, too cool! :)
    I live in waterless hell sometimes, but things do seem to winter well -- if the voles don't get them. I'm taking LynnT's suggest and buying wire mesh today to make cages for bulbs. I'm tired of watching foliage wilt before my very eyes.

LynnT -- didn't you get my email about the bucket of Blackberry Lilies sitting next to your bucket of Jacob Klein on the cinder blocks by my pine tree? They're a'waiting you. Hosta Albo Margineta is potted, sitting on the ground in a plastic tray ready to go to the swap. It's not labeled yet, but if you don't have any... It's a nice, medium-sized upright.

I'm ready.
    I want you to bring plastic bags to take home the stuff that sulks. Can't wait!

C.

• kaffeina
    16 years ago

yes to siberian iris

suja i'd like to see your garden sometime

i'm sad lynn won't be there tomorrow

• gardengranma
    16 years ago

Hi, this is the "poobah" (whatever that means). If you have a last minute look on this, consider bringing some stick-um name tags. We will have paper, pens, and tape so you can put your name on your car, but we have none that you can paste on your chest to tell others who your are. If there are as many people as last year, this would be immensely helpful (I'll check with the drugstore, just in case). Gardengranma is getting on in years (and I am not the only one). Remember - call if you are lost 301-421-0284 -- someone will be near the phone to help you.
    Tomorrow sounds like just the right day for a swap. If we run out of parking spaces, you can park along the street leading up to our house (the neighbors are great and will not complain). I am really looking forward to seeing all of you. For DHs, who would like to read the paper rather than swap, send them inside, the house is open to all. Coffee will be ready.

• annebert
    16 years ago

I'm bringing nametags. I'm also bringing the plants that Lynn wants

• ryanzone7
    16 years ago

This is so last minute that maybe I should post it tomorrow, but....... magazines and books!
    THAT IS ALL

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years