Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oogy4plants

HAVE: Spring garden liquidation

oogy4plants
17 years ago

Looks like I'll be selling my house in the Gaithersburg area this spring, so, of course, my main concern is the gardens I have created. There are far too many plants and too many kinds of plants that I can't even remember what is there thanks to many MAG swappers! So I can't even imagine anyone else caring for them as they are now.

I am planning to pot up and/or give away whatever I can while simplifying the gardens before the sale. This will need to be done well before the spring swap, so I am looking for anyone who is willing to help dig and/or adopt plants when the snow finally melts and I can tell where the plants are.

Advice also appreciated. Please post replies here.

Susan

Comments (34)

• spanaval
    17 years ago

I can certainly make it up there for a plant dig, as long as the date for the dig works out. What kind of time frame did you have in mind? I generally start planting by mid-April, but digging can probably start a few weeks earlier, especially in sunny beds.

I'm thinking that you'll probably have more helpers if you start putting together a general list of what you think might be available, maybe on the trades page. It doesn't have to be comprehensive, and a general idea of what you think needs to go should be sufficient.

Since you are planning on keeping some things, make sure you figure out a way to keep the 'please digs' away from the 'do not digs', or otherwise supervise. Maybe someone can hold/transport some of the stuff you have that may not find homes the same day, to the Spring swap.

Oh, and as long as the plants are being dug, I'm sure we'd all be happy to lend a hand with anything that needs to be dug up so that you can take it to your new home.

Suja

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

If it is is Mid April I can probably make it.
    BethB

• kimka
    17 years ago

If I'm in town for the date chosen (I'm doing some traveling for work in April), I'll help dig.

• madsquopper
    17 years ago

Depending on the date I can help.

Larry

• oogy4plants
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much, everyone!
    I will try to start on a list of what I think is out there that needs to go based on my notebook and sketches from the past couple years and put that in my 'Haves' list. The sunny beds are the most rampant with volunteers and multipliers. I should have plenty of containers to put them in and compost. As far as dates, I'm aiming for sometime in the late March- early April timeframe, but will update you as spring gets closer.

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Susan,
    I will be glad to help you dig.

Bonnie

• nancymd2
    17 years ago

Susan,
    I will also be glad to help dig-

Nancy

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

I can help, too. I'm sorry you're moving! Where are you going?

I can't come Friday or Saturday morning. Saturday is a possibility as long as I have notice.

So count me in!
    Christine

• oogy4plants
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This weekend we are packing up all the extra stuff in the house. Mar. 16-18 I'll be doing a lot of clean-up inside and outside and the next weekend I have other obligations. I think the best days for digging in the garden for me would be Mar. 31- Apr. 1. By then, spring should be here and I can get the plants marked that I can see. I'll put the list of probable available plants up soon. Let me know what day you want to come and we can work out times and directions to my house. I will, of course, have brownies and snacks for all you wonderful diggers. I'll be staying in Maryland, just moving.

• avoirgold
    17 years ago

Count me in too!! Make sure to keep some for yourself to take to your new digs. I am good for any weekend before 4/16, when I too will have to travel for work. BTW, I should have some plastic pots to share.

Jen

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

I can come those times, too. I see I mistyped can as can't. I teach Saturday morning, but in advance I can make arrangements.

We can also pot and hold things for you, too, for your new house.
    I'm glad you're not going terribly far.

Please don't forget to include me! :)

Christine

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Susan, I hope you plan to come to the swap, even if it's just for a break from the 'joy' of moving! You might not be ready to start a new garden by then, but you can at least enjoy the food and garden talk. Hope your move goes smoothly!

• oogy4plants
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, I will try to come to the swap. Everyone is welcome at my house, especially you Christine. I will save a few plants for myself, but not sure if I will have spots to put them right away.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all!

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Susan,
    I also have alot of green six inch pots from work that I can bring.
    Are we all digging the same day?... or has that not been decided yet?

Bonnie

• lynnt
    17 years ago

Please include me too, Susan -- I'd love to help, and I have plenty of pots to contribute. Half my front shade garden is still in pots from the construction; would you like me to earmark some of the nice stuff like italian arum for your new place?

Lynn

• dawnstorm
    17 years ago

Got room for me?

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Susan I will be in Missouri that weekend. Sorry. I would like to have been able to be there but...
    Beth B

• layne_nova
    17 years ago

I'd love to help if no other plan come up later.

-Layne

• oogy4plants
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dig next weekend!!
    Saturday, March 31, 10 am to 12:30 pm
    First we'll dig, and then we'll eat brownies.

I'm reluctant to post my address here, so I will email it to those who have responded already. If you haven't responded here, email me directly and I'll send it to you. If you can't come Saturday morning, but want to stop by later Sat or Sun email me and I'll try to work something out.

All the plants are starting to come up and there are lots of little ones waiting to grow up big. I was able to do most of the spring cleanup today, identifying and marking many plants. I also have lots of pots and garden stuff including a set of 4 long windows suitable for coldframes.

See you!

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

Susan,
    Please email me directly, because I don't get any gardenweb mail for some reason.

Christine @ YogaDancer dot com is working. I'd love to come.
    Shall I bring pots? I teach until 9:30, so I'll be a tad late, but I know my generous gardening buddies will save treasures for me! [LOL]

Coooool!
    Christine

• madsquopper
    17 years ago

Susan,

Looks like gardenweb mail may be suspect. Cathy and I are coming (got the directions from Lynn), but we may not get there until after 11. We weren't looking for anything in particular so will be happy to finish up digging your stuff and collecting any leftovers.

Larry

• dawnstorm
    17 years ago

I got your e-mail.

• LynneinMD
    17 years ago

I'd be happy to come out and help as well, I sent you a gardenweb mail but I'm not sure if it's working. You can reach me at zachsmom at iname dot com

Lynne

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Susan..
    Direct email me too...Gardenweb mail is not working.
    I need directions to your home.
    See you on Saturday.
    Bonnie

• kimka
    17 years ago

Got your email. See you Saturday.

KimKa

• oogy4plants
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK. I sent the directions to Christine, Bonnie, and Lynne. Hope you get them this time. I have been out of town, so sorry for the delay. I am busy getting ready for tomorrow. I have lots of pots, but you never know when you'll run out. I also have some plant tags, but you might want to bring some of those and a labeling pen since I only have one.

See you!
    Susan

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Susan...
    I did not get your email.....gardenweb is not sending them through for you . Susan.please send me an email independent from gardenweb's service ,otherwise I will not get it.

Christine , or Lynne.....if you read this and you have gotten directions from Susan...please forward them to me......thank you bunches.

Bonnie

• LynneinMD
    17 years ago

Bonnie, I just forwarded Susan's message to your aol address.

Susan/everyone, I just picked up another package of plant markers so will bring those as well. What sort of pen is best for labeling? I've been using a Sharpie marker but I'm not sure how long-lasting that will be. Is a china marker/grease pencil better? I know we have some of those around...

Lynne

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Lynne, Yea..... I got it...and I will be there.
    Bringing an extra shovel, trowel, some green pots, some bigger black pots.
    See you there.
    Thanks for the help.

Bonnie

• lynnt
    17 years ago

Oh dear -- I was supposed to be off today and have had to work all day (it's 6:30, so now I've been here 12 hrs) and it looks like I'll have to be here tomorrow too. Have fun -- the only thing I was looking for is an echinacea or two for my new driveway bed -- is there a chance Christine, you can nab me one?

Susan, I still have an italian arum with your name on it for when you get settled into your new place...

Lynn

• LynneinMD
    17 years ago

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!
    So nice to meet everyone and come home with so many plants for my garden. The daylilies are already in the ground, and as long as the showers hold off for a bit tomorrow, I'll have most of the other plants in as well. =)

Lynne

• avoirgold
    17 years ago

Yes Susan, THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!

It was great seeing everyone. All the "babies" are in the ground and looking forward to the expected rain tomorrow. :-)

Jen

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Susan...
    Thank you for having us over to your home.

I had a delightful day with all of you.
    It was nice to meet some of you for the first time.

I got home and planted everything and now I will wait for the rain.
    Looking forward to the spring swap........
    Bonnie

• oogy4plants
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks to all of you for your patience and hard work digging, especially Eric, the husband, and Lynne, Jen, Bonnie, Dawn, Suja, Larry, Kim, Layne... I wish I could have been more organized. After I cleaned up a little and spread some mulch on the beds, the gardens look pretty darn good now. THANKS!!

Please tell anyone you know who may be interested in buying the house and gardens. Our move is contingent on selling.

I will bring any other plants I find that need a better home to the swap. See you then!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?