Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

wanted: food & stuff for the 2007 mag spring swap

cfmuehling
17 years ago

Food and Stuff List for

the 2007 Spring MAG Swap

at Gardengramma's Gorgeous Encampment

This is the secret to our great swaps - those who don't bring PLANTS bring FOOD. Preferably homemade and loaded with calories 'cause it's tough work doing all that trading and socializing. Extra points for food with chocolate. And if you have no plants and no talent in the kitchen, we still need supplies, and drinks, and ice, and potato chips.....

Non-food Needs:

Self-adhesive labels for participants (Nothing fancy, old Floppy Disk labels work well, for example).

Charcoal and Lighter Fluid for Charcoal if you're planning to grill.

a few non-gardening husbands or partners to run the grill (makes 'em feel useful).

Utensils.

Napkins and Paper Towels.

Paper Plates-Paper or Plastic Cups.

Large Heavy Duty Garbage Bags for Clean-up.

(Let's give Gardengramma a break here:) Toilet Paper & Paper Towels.

Anything I've forgotten to list.

Food:

Beverages

Appetizers

Main Courses

Brownies

Other desserts

Condiments: Mustard, Relish, Catsup, salt & pepper.

Rolls if you're having hot dogs and burgers

Also, this is a great place to show off your very special recipes that your family won't touch, like lavender flavored shortbread or zucchini fudge or whatever - CAUSE IN THE INTERESTS OF BOTANICAL SCIENCE, WE'LL EAT IT!

(Directions are here but you can MapQuest:

15716 Allnutt Lane

Burtonsville, MD, 20866)

Questions? just include them in your post here, or feel free to post them here. Someone will surely jump in!

Have fun finding new homes for your surplus plants and discovering new plants you didn't know you needed!

Wishing everyone a great swap! Happy gardening.
Follow-Up Postings:

RE: wanted: food & stuff for the 2007 mag spring swap

Hot Dogs and Rolls (48 of each)

• Posted by: suja z7 noVA (My Page) on Wed, Feb 14, 07 at 18:25

Assuming that my version of it comes out as well as my friend's, I'll bring a Sweet Potato Casserole (with lots of rum and pecan). If the trial run of that doesn't work out, I'll bring my usual, Chicken Biryani and Raita.

paper plates and plastic cups - 50 each
four rolls of paper towels
500 napkins

I'll bring nametags - they're still in my glovebox from the fall. And extra TP and paper towels.

"500 napkins" - Leslie must be expecting rain :-)

I'll bring something salad-ish, and try to fill in the holes as we get closer to the swap.
Christine

I'm newish to the area and to gardening, and I've never been to a swap before, but I can bring several dozen chocolate chip cookies.

Julia

Julia, we can store the chocolate chip cookis in the back of my van. Steve in Baltimore County.

I have plenty of plates and cups left over from the last swap at Vlad's (may he RIP). I will bring those.

Put me down for pasta salad, a case of Diet Dr. Pepper, and a case of Coke.

Jen

OK, then, I'll let Dawnstorm bring the cups and plates and will think of food to bring.

Hi all,
I'll bring a pot o chili and a case of water. Looking forward to it!
:) Leslie
PS- could the divine message/page designer add the date to the top of these have/wants, pretty please?

I'll be bringing brownies for you chocoalte fans- I know there are many that attend.

Foodeefish

I'll bring the traditional lentil salad and something else as fancy strikes.

I will bring a grain salad and some kind of dessert.

Bonnie

Hi - I've lurked for years, but don't often post and haven't been to a swap yet.

But I'm good for cheesecake, and Cherry Coke Zero (it's a proven fact that like matter and anti matter combining cheesecake with a zero-calorie caffeinated beverage cancels them both out)

Donna

I'm planning on making some Buckeye Candy and some Banana Bread muffins. Bananas and nuts are good for you, right?

:) Christy

• Posted by: giverny z7 Maryland (My Page) on Thu, Apr 12, 07 at 13:57

Hi,
I plan on bringing Texas Caviar and tortilla chips to go with it. Really looking forward to seeing everyone, trading/talking plants and good food!
Mea

Hi all,

I am a newbie to the list and the swap. I am really excited about coming! I can bring some really delicious artichoke dip/spread. As we get closer I can also fill in holes.

Jenfee

If everything goes according to plan, I'll bring some freshly battered and sauteed morels.

Are pokey / charming / energetic 2-yr-olds allowed to come too? If yes, I can bring something yummy. Please let me know! :)

Who, if anyone, is bringing 'silverware'?

• Posted by: suja z7 noVA (My Page) on Thu, Apr 19, 07 at 15:18

Irene, 2 year olds of all description are most certainly welcome. I believe that we had at least half a dozen of the little ones last Spring swap.

Just keep in mind that having to supervise a 2 year old means that you have fewer hands free for hoarding (ummm... I mean swapping) plants, and that they do take up valuable real estate in the car that could go to plants you should be hauling home :-)

Suja - isn't that why you make DH take his own vehicle?

Christy - who is bringing her toddler, and DH is bringing his truck :)

Why not make it green? BYO utensils, cups and plates? I have several plastic plates, and have several saved 'to-go' utensils. I can put them with the food that I bring, and hope for the plates return! Christy

• Posted by: watergal z6/7 Westminster, MD (sjohnson13@aol.com) on Thu, Apr 19, 07 at 22:54

I can bring silverware - forks, knives, spoons. I'm sure many people wouldn't remember to bring their own even if we decide to do it that way.

I'll also bring a couple of rolls of paper towels and some big, strong garbage bags.

During garden season, I'm too busy gardening to cook much. Just ask my husband. And cleaning indoors - forget it!!

• Posted by: crystalsalt z7 Columbia, MD (hammaker@hotmail.com) on Fri, Apr 20, 07 at 10:31

Hi, I am new to GardenWeb and looking forward to meeting everyone at the swap! I am planning to bring my DH but leaving my newborn and older son behind so we have our hands free.

I will bring stuffed flatbread and chutney and yogurt, and perhaps something else if i have time to cook more (like a dessert). If you don't know what that is, you'll just have to wait to try it - but everyone who has, loves it. (There are always exceptions ofcourse!).

Can anyone advise how many people will be there to cook for? (a rough estimate).

• Posted by: suja z7 noVA (My Page) on Fri, Apr 20, 07 at 11:36

If last Spring's swap is any indication, I'd say 70 or 80 people, although I'm not sure if everyone stayed for the lunch. I wouldn't try to cook for that many people for sure. There will be a lot of food, so no need for one person to try and feed an army.

We will have a gas-powered grill, lots of water, some shade (more than last year I hope,) glasses, plates, forks and knives, if none are forthcoming. If our porch in the backyard is finished.we'll have more chade too. If someone would take on the job of seeing what we are missing when we are close to the date, I'll get whatever we are missing. So let me know, please.

I'm fairly sure we'll bring the usual chocolate flourless torte, unless Cathy decides to make something else.

Larry

I'll bring my usual hummus + pita for dipping.

Rose

Christine and Garden Grandma

Ill bring burgers and man the grill again.
Les

p.s Christine please contact me re vlads service

I'll bring a curried chicken salad (with grapes & nuts in it). DH might whip up something else as well...we'll see what his whim is.

RE: wanted: food & stuff for the 2007 mag springswap

I'll bring a curried chicken salad (with grapes and nuts in it).

i tried to compile a list of what has been promised so far
Utilities:
Towels
trash bags..... watergal
and silver

Plates and cups.... Dawn
Name tags .... Annebert
TP listed but can't remember who

Main dish:
Burgers .... les
hotdogs & rolls 48 .... Cynthia
Chili, Beagler
Curried Chicken salad,.... Kiln God
Humus and pita .... Rose
Flatbread/chutney & yogurt.... crysta
Artichoke dip,.... Jenfee
Battered morels .... Mike
Texas Caviar with Tortilla chips .... Mia
Lentil salad,.... Chrismd
Grain salad .... Bonnie
Pasta Salad.... Jen Avoirgold
something "saladish" .... Cynthia
Sweet potato casserole or Chicken .... Suja

DESERTS:
Chocolate torte .... Larry
Cheesecake Donna.... Shadylady
buckeye candy & banana bread muffins.... Christy
Brownies .... foodeefish
Chocolate chip cookies .... Julia

BEVERAGES:
Water .... Leslie
Cherry coke .... Donna
Diet Dr Pepper & coke.... Jen avoirgold

Hope I didn't miss anything that anyone has promised. If I missed you, PLEASE bring it anyway
How about , Ice, mustard and catsup, pickle relish. I can bring these unless there are leftovers or the people bringing burgers and dogs had planned on them already.
I'll definately bring ice and throw the other stuff into the truck Just to be sure.
Beth b kodiak

Nice job Beth!

Just one edit - The 'something salidish' is Christine (not Cynthia)

Saffron and Chive Devilled Eggs

(or, Doubled Eggs, as my DD dubbed them when she was little).

Jane

Nice compiling job Beth...
It all looks good, everyone......

Maybe we could start photo- copying our recipes and bringing a few to the swap for anyone that might want one? When I get home, I always think about the goodies I've eaten and wish I had the recipe.
I'll be glad to make copies of my recipe or one for my raspberry cobbler from a few years ago, and bring a cardboard box to collect others that people bring.
I'll even make dividers for salads, desserts, dips, ....so we can find them easily and add to the batch as the swaps continue..

Bonnie

• Posted by: karyn1 MD 7 (bhkalen@aol.com) on Tue, Apr 24, 07 at 18:15

I'll bring some type of dessert and/or side dish. Possibly store bought depending on how busy I am on Friday. I'm also bringing a 2 yr old. Can I swap him?
Karyn

I'll bring brownies. We can't just have one batch! And maybe some grapes or veggies.

I don't have much plants to bring this year as I'm in the process of moving. So, I will be bringing mostly food:
babaganoush w/pomegranate, pita and green salad. If I have time, maybe a batch of chocolate chip cookies.

Jette

Hi,

I can bring a case or two of sparkling water.

-Terri

I'll bring Scones and fruit salad

Barbara

I will bring an Italian-ish pasta salad. Meatless, but not vegan (it will have parmesan cheese). Also Weight Watchers POINTS-friendly.

I'll bring some asparagus to put on the grill and a pan cookie of some sort. Maybe some sweetened ice tea as well.

I'm thinking what's missing here is...nothing! I'm going to bring some yummy chinese noodles with spicy peanut sauce just 'cause I like it! Anyone out there with a bad peanut allergy?

Beth

Sorry ment to post on food page - so this is the 2nd post!
What time does the swap last to? Depending on time I can bring what ever is needed food wise. I have a test in Bowie at 10 am unitl ? so I am hoping to get there by noonish ! I saw a post about What time does the swap last to? Depending on time I can bring what ever is needed food wise. I have a test in Bowie at 10 am unitl ? so I am hoping to get there by noonish ! I saw a post about Ice, mustard and catsup, pickle relish etc is that covered yet? Ingrid

• Posted by: dgs9r z7 Baltimore, MD (My Page) on Thu, May 3, 07 at 12:10

I'll bring my filipina noodle salad (no, I'm not a filipina, but my friend is...) and whatever else I can think of. Bagels and cream cheese maybe.
deepti

• Posted by: suja z7 noVA (My Page) on Thu, May 3, 07 at 12:39

Ingrid, swap lunches usually start around noon-ish, so your timing might be okay. Dunno if anyone is bringing 'accessories' for the food, so mustard, pickle relish, etc. might be okay.

Deepti, is your noodle salad Poncit? If so, bring extra. YUM!

• Posted by: zebz 7-8 (My Page) on Thu, May 3, 07 at 14:09

Is the food labeled so people who are vegetarian know what is safe their for their diet? There's always at least one in every crowd who has to make things difficult, and that would be me this time. :)

Would chips and/or pretzels be welcome snacks?

I'll bring cheese and crackers.
Madeleine

I'm sick (darned kids!), so I'm afraid I won't be able to make the swap after all. Next year!

Julia

Post a Follow-Up
Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Zone (optional):

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link:

A copy of your follow-up will automatically be emailed to the original poster.
Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Comments (52)

• leslies
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Assuming that my version of it comes out as well as my friend's, I'll bring a Sweet Potato Casserole (with lots of rum and pecan). If the trial run of that doesn't work out, I'll bring my usual, Chicken Biryani and Raita.

• annebert
    17 years ago

paper plates and plastic cups - 50 each
    four rolls of paper towels
    500 napkins

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

I'll bring nametags - they're still in my glovebox from the fall. And extra TP and paper towels.

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"500 napkins" - Leslie must be expecting rain :-)

• clio95
    17 years ago

I'll bring something salad-ish, and try to fill in the holes as we get closer to the swap.
    Christine

• oscarthecat
    17 years ago

I'm newish to the area and to gardening, and I've never been to a swap before, but I can bring several dozen chocolate chip cookies.

Julia

• dawnstorm
    17 years ago

Julia, we can store the chocolate chip cookis in the back of my van. Steve in Baltimore County.

• avoirgold
    17 years ago

I have plenty of plates and cups left over from the last swap at Vlad's (may he RIP). I will bring those.

• leslies
    17 years ago

Put me down for pasta salad, a case of Diet Dr. Pepper, and a case of Coke.

Jen

• beagler1776
    17 years ago

OK, then, I'll let Dawnstorm bring the cups and plates and will think of food to bring.

• foodeefish
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    I'll bring a pot o chili and a case of water. Looking forward to it!
    :) Leslie
    PS- could the divine message/page designer add the date to the top of these have/wants, pretty please?

• chrismd
    16 years ago

I'll be bringing brownies for you chocoalte fans- I know there are many that attend.

Foodeefish

• gardnwatch
    16 years ago

I'll bring the traditional lentil salad and something else as fancy strikes.

• shady_lady
    16 years ago

I will bring a grain salad and some kind of dessert.

Bonnie

• christy2828
    16 years ago

Hi - I've lurked for years, but don't often post and haven't been to a swap yet.

But I'm good for cheesecake, and Cherry Coke Zero (it's a proven fact that like matter and anti matter combining cheesecake with a zero-calorie caffeinated beverage cancels them both out)

Donna

• giverny
    16 years ago

I'm planning on making some Buckeye Candy and some Banana Bread muffins. Bananas and nuts are good for you, right?

:) Christy

• jenfee
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I plan on bringing Texas Caviar and tortilla chips to go with it. Really looking forward to seeing everyone, trading/talking plants and good food!
    Mea

• patapscomike
    16 years ago

Hi all,

I am a newbie to the list and the swap. I am really excited about coming! I can bring some really delicious artichoke dip/spread. As we get closer I can also fill in holes.

Jenfee

• irene_kamel
    16 years ago

If everything goes according to plan, I'll bring some freshly battered and sauteed morels.

• dawnstorm
    16 years ago

Are pokey / charming / energetic 2-yr-olds allowed to come too? If yes, I can bring something yummy. Please let me know! :)

• spanaval
    16 years ago

• christy2828
    16 years ago

Irene, 2 year olds of all description are most certainly welcome. I believe that we had at least half a dozen of the little ones last Spring swap.

Just keep in mind that having to supervise a 2 year old means that you have fewer hands free for hoarding (ummm... I mean swapping) plants, and that they do take up valuable real estate in the car that could go to plants you should be hauling home :-)

• christy2828
    16 years ago

Suja - isn't that why you make DH take his own vehicle?

Christy - who is bringing her toddler, and DH is bringing his truck :)

• watergal
    16 years ago

Why not make it green? BYO utensils, cups and plates? I have several plastic plates, and have several saved 'to-go' utensils. I can put them with the food that I bring, and hope for the plates return! Christy

• crystalsalt
    16 years ago

I can bring silverware - forks, knives, spoons. I'm sure many people wouldn't remember to bring their own even if we decide to do it that way.

I'll also bring a couple of rolls of paper towels and some big, strong garbage bags.

During garden season, I'm too busy gardening to cook much. Just ask my husband. And cleaning indoors - forget it!!

• spanaval
    16 years ago

Hi, I am new to GardenWeb and looking forward to meeting everyone at the swap! I am planning to bring my DH but leaving my newborn and older son behind so we have our hands free.

I will bring stuffed flatbread and chutney and yogurt, and perhaps something else if i have time to cook more (like a dessert). If you don't know what that is, you'll just have to wait to try it - but everyone who has, loves it. (There are always exceptions ofcourse!).

Can anyone advise how many people will be there to cook for? (a rough estimate).

• gardengranma
    16 years ago

If last Spring's swap is any indication, I'd say 70 or 80 people, although I'm not sure if everyone stayed for the lunch. I wouldn't try to cook for that many people for sure. There will be a lot of food, so no need for one person to try and feed an army.

• madsquopper
    16 years ago

We will have a gas-powered grill, lots of water, some shade (more than last year I hope,) glasses, plates, forks and knives, if none are forthcoming. If our porch in the backyard is finished.we'll have more chade too. If someone would take on the job of seeing what we are missing when we are close to the date, I'll get whatever we are missing. So let me know, please.

• rosewomann
    16 years ago

I'm fairly sure we'll bring the usual chocolate flourless torte, unless Cathy decides to make something else.

Larry

• lesathummergarden
    16 years ago

I'll bring my usual hummus + pita for dipping.

Rose

• kilngod
    16 years ago

Christine and Garden Grandma

Ill bring burgers and man the grill again.
    Les

p.s Christine please contact me re vlads service

• kilngod
    16 years ago

I'll bring a curried chicken salad (with grapes & nuts in it). DH might whip up something else as well...we'll see what his whim is.

• beth_b_kodiak
    16 years ago

I'll bring a curried chicken salad (with grapes and nuts in it).

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

i tried to compile a list of what has been promised so far
    Utilities:
    Towels
    trash bags..... watergal
    and silver

Plates and cups.... Dawn
    Name tags .... Annebert
    TP listed but can't remember who

Main dish:
    Burgers .... les
    hotdogs & rolls 48 .... Cynthia
    Chili, Beagler
    Curried Chicken salad,.... Kiln God
    Humus and pita .... Rose
    Flatbread/chutney & yogurt.... crysta
    Artichoke dip,.... Jenfee
    Battered morels .... Mike
    Texas Caviar with Tortilla chips .... Mia
    Lentil salad,.... Chrismd
    Grain salad .... Bonnie
    Pasta Salad.... Jen Avoirgold
    something "saladish" .... Cynthia
    Sweet potato casserole or Chicken .... Suja

DESERTS:
    Chocolate torte .... Larry
    Cheesecake Donna.... Shadylady
    buckeye candy & banana bread muffins.... Christy
    Brownies .... foodeefish
    Chocolate chip cookies .... Julia

BEVERAGES:
    Water .... Leslie
    Cherry coke .... Donna
    Diet Dr Pepper & coke.... Jen avoirgold

Hope I didn't miss anything that anyone has promised. If I missed you, PLEASE bring it anyway
    How about , Ice, mustard and catsup, pickle relish. I can bring these unless there are leftovers or the people bringing burgers and dogs had planned on them already.
    I'll definately bring ice and throw the other stuff into the truck Just to be sure.
    Beth b kodiak

• jane_artist
    16 years ago

Nice job Beth!

Just one edit - The 'something salidish' is Christine (not Cynthia)

• gardnwatch
    16 years ago

Saffron and Chive Devilled Eggs

(or, Doubled Eggs, as my DD dubbed them when she was little).

Jane

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Nice compiling job Beth...
    It all looks good, everyone......

Maybe we could start photo- copying our recipes and bringing a few to the swap for anyone that might want one? When I get home, I always think about the goodies I've eaten and wish I had the recipe.
    I'll be glad to make copies of my recipe or one for my raspberry cobbler from a few years ago, and bring a cardboard box to collect others that people bring.
    I'll even make dividers for salads, desserts, dips, ....so we can find them easily and add to the batch as the swaps continue..

Bonnie

• collectordi
    16 years ago

I'll bring some type of dessert and/or side dish. Possibly store bought depending on how busy I am on Friday. I'm also bringing a 2 yr old. Can I swap him?
    Karyn

• busyasabee
    16 years ago

I'll bring brownies. We can't just have one batch! And maybe some grapes or veggies.

• tvalenti
    16 years ago

I don't have much plants to bring this year as I'm in the process of moving. So, I will be bringing mostly food:
    babaganoush w/pomegranate, pita and green salad. If I have time, maybe a batch of chocolate chip cookies.

Jette

• bunlover
    16 years ago

Hi,

I can bring a case or two of sparkling water.

-Terri

• cecilia_md7a
    16 years ago

I'll bring Scones and fruit salad

Barbara

• howndawg
    16 years ago

I will bring an Italian-ish pasta salad. Meatless, but not vegan (it will have parmesan cheese). Also Weight Watchers POINTS-friendly.

• bethbonemiller
    16 years ago

I'll bring some asparagus to put on the grill and a pan cookie of some sort. Maybe some sweetened ice tea as well.

• daresbeach
    16 years ago

I'm thinking what's missing here is...nothing! I'm going to bring some yummy chinese noodles with spicy peanut sauce just 'cause I like it! Anyone out there with a bad peanut allergy?

Beth

• dgs9r
    16 years ago

Sorry ment to post on food page - so this is the 2nd post!
    What time does the swap last to? Depending on time I can bring what ever is needed food wise. I have a test in Bowie at 10 am unitl ? so I am hoping to get there by noonish ! I saw a post about What time does the swap last to? Depending on time I can bring what ever is needed food wise. I have a test in Bowie at 10 am unitl ? so I am hoping to get there by noonish ! I saw a post about Ice, mustard and catsup, pickle relish etc is that covered yet? Ingrid

• spanaval
    16 years ago

I'll bring my filipina noodle salad (no, I'm not a filipina, but my friend is...) and whatever else I can think of. Bagels and cream cheese maybe.
    deepti

• zebz
    16 years ago

Ingrid, swap lunches usually start around noon-ish, so your timing might be okay. Dunno if anyone is bringing 'accessories' for the food, so mustard, pickle relish, etc. might be okay.

Deepti, is your noodle salad Poncit? If so, bring extra. YUM!

• madeleinef
    16 years ago

Is the food labeled so people who are vegetarian know what is safe their for their diet? There's always at least one in every crowd who has to make things difficult, and that would be me this time. :)

Would chips and/or pretzels be welcome snacks?

• clio95
    16 years ago

I'll bring cheese and crackers.
    Madeleine