Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Swappers with Water Hyacinth or Parrot's Feather

Posted by gardengrove_ac z6 MD (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 08 at 12:31

Hey everyone,
I finally clipped the mass of English ivy that was choking out the life from the lily pond at the house I live at. The owner wants the ivy gone and I'm going to hopefully add more tropical/exotic looking plants. I'm also adding some paradise fish to the water (its about 6' long, 2' deep, and 3' wide. Hopefully they can control the mosquitoes and provide a little interest. I was hoping someone who was attending the MAG Swap in my had some Water Hyacinth, Parrot's Feather, or other wispy aquatic plants the fish could use as habitat. I'm going to bring the fish inside before the cold hits so I can do the same for the plants and overwinter them in the aquarium.
If anyone has some extra, let me know. I have Brugmansia, Datura, Hardy Hibiscus, and a good number of tropical plants I could trade for.
Thank you,
Peace,
Nate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Swappers with Water Hyacinth or Parrot's Feather

FYI, Both are considered 'invasive species of concern' in Maryland and water hyacinth is on the Federal noxious week list. I wonder if other water gardeners could suggest better options? Would be a shame to have won the battle over one noxious weed (the ivy ) and intentionally bring in others :(

o

Water hyacinth freezes to death in the winter. Down in more tropical locations it can be a serious problem, but at 3000ft elevation it turns to mush rather quickly. The parrot's feather is gonna be yanked out when the time comes as well. The pond is in an enclosed courtyard, too small for waterfowl to use (A major way floating plants move around), and on a completely enclosed system. I'm not planning on putting either species in a wild or uncontrolled habitat. Invasive is a relative term. Also, the federally listed species of water hyacinth is Eichhornia azurea, I was looking for Eichhornia crassipes. But that's splitting hairs. I have experience in aquariums/greenhouses with water hyacinth and parrot's feather and I know they're excellent for hiding fish larve from their hungry parents. If anyone can recommend another species which has finely divided roots or leaves that guppy/paradise fish fry can mature in, please recommend it.
Peace,
Nate

o

This is gardengranma, the hostess. If any one has water hyacynth or underwater plants , parrot feathers etc. I'd sure like some. You are welcome to what you want to dig when you come.

o

I'm also looking for a source for parrot's feather.
It did nicely in my pond a few years ago and died out over the winter.....so I would like some more if anyone has any.
thanks.......
Bonnie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, Delaware, Maryland and District of Columbia are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here