Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryanzone7

WANTED: who wants the fall swap at Sandy spring friends school?

ryanzone7
18 years ago

I need to know so I can line it up and set the date in stone.

any takers?

IALBTC

Comments (46)

• kimka
    18 years ago

I'll bite, even though I am currently in deep mourning over the hostas, rubeckia, hardy begonia, pineapple sage, European wild ginger and others that the guys working on my house this week stepped on and dragged ladders through.

Here's hoping people will offer many of the wiped out plants on trade and I will be able to replace them.

Yes, I let the guys live only because the actual contractor was livid with the 21-year-old who did most of the damage and repeatedly stopped him from going through beds instead of around them.

Don't we have a traditional week end date in October for the fall swap?

• alfie_md6
    18 years ago

Me! Me! I do!

The traditional date is the Saturday before Columbus Day (observed), thus Saturday, October 8.

Does this work for you, Professor?

Kim, I can take a few cuttings of pineapple sage for you. Does it survive the winter outside in your yard?!

• madsquopper
    18 years ago

SSFS would be great. Early in October sounds good.

I still need takers for several thousand baby verbena bonariensis.

Larry

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

I will reserve Oct 8th in my calendar right now. Thank you!

KimKa, my gardens have been hit by the gutter people of 2003, the painters of spring 2004, the tree-trimmers of fall 2004 and the fence folks of spring 2005. Everything will come back! But I don't minimize the pain you must be feeling, hope things look better soon.

• collectordi
    18 years ago

Sounds good to me. KimKa wants Rudbeckia? I have enough for her and everyone else who comes to the swap.

• ryanzone7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

.......and if you have a truck, bring it! I have tons of the best compost EVER!
    IALBTC

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

"tons of the best compost EVER"

Ohhh...that may even motivate me to cross the Potomac! I have to admit that I still have a number of plants from the Spring VA Swap that are still in my nursery bed (though that bed gets babied so the plants there are thriving..my best looking bed is hidden beside my garage).

- Brent

• laine713
    18 years ago

I have added the date to my calendar. I will be there :)
    I have some hostas (large light green ones) that need to be divided. I will post a list on my member's page, as the date gets closer.

Prof Dirt, DH will definitely will bring the white beat-up pickup for the compost....

Sophia

• alfie_md6
    18 years ago

Note to self: acquire truck before October 8.

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

There isn't any chance of making it the Saturday after Columbus Day, is there?
    There's a workshop I'm supposed to teach and I don't know if I can get out of it.

[sigh]
    I'll mark it down, but man, I don't want to miss the trade!!!

Christine

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Teach the workshop at the swap. Fresh air improves everything.

• Laurel7286
    18 years ago

ooooh, I don't know. That's one of the "long" weekends my son's school allows seniors to visit colleges. Will have to see if he will have anything planned for that weekend.

• krgallo
    18 years ago

Sounds good to me.

• vicki_b
    18 years ago

Looking forward to it, I have a ton of stuff to bring. Anybody want to check out the daylilies now while they are in full bloom get in touch .They should last a few weeks But now is high season Vicki B

• ellieandethansmom
    18 years ago

Sounds great, we should be in town!

I have tons of winter sown perennial plants still looking for good homes.

--Dana

• gardnwatch
    18 years ago

Shoot........I can't make the 8th either..
    I've got so many plants to divide this fall. I guess I will have to wait for the spring swap next year to do that if I miss this years fall swap.
    Boo Hoo....
    Bonnie

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

Oh, come on.... I hear no objections to the following weekends, yet several to the 8th.
    Can we at all consider moving it?
    If I hadn't already committed, and there weren't already registrants (unfortunately preparing to practice inside [LOL]) I'd ask to reschedule. But dollars have changed hands...

Can we please, please please consider the following weekend?
    Christine
    Who really wants to come!

• ryanzone7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have no problem with not having it on the 8th.
    any weekend after the 8th would be also fine, but it's really up to you pholks and the people at the school, so with that being said, duke it out amongst your selves and I'll see if that date jibes with the powers that be. (although having it on my birthday would be kinda neat!)
    ialbtc

• treehouse
    18 years ago

Either day is good for me. But, let's hurry up and make a choice. (Like I am adding to the decisivness. Giggle.) Maybe this time I'll not get lost on the way over.

Jan

• kimka
    18 years ago

I can make just about any date in October. But as he is taking on the job of Pooba, I think we should let Ryanzone be the final arbiter of date.

Collectordi, I'll take you up on the rubeckia. That and the corydalis I don't expect will come back based on how much grinding the kid did on the soil. And the cordyalis was brand new too.

• cecilia_md7a
    18 years ago

Ooh! I'm in. At least I know how to get there now.

Kim, what kinds of hosta did you lose? I have several different varieties, although I don't know the names of most of them. I also have gloroisa daisy/double black-eyed-susan rudbeckia, if you need more.

• madsquopper
    18 years ago

I probably wouldn't be able to make the 8th (would need to leave by noon), but my personal slave will be able to come in my place. The 15th would be optimal for me.

Larry

• threedogsmom
    18 years ago

Oct 15 is fine with me. I have hardy begonias for you, KimKa. I can pot them up now so they'll be bigger by then. They reseed like crazy in my yard !

• kimka
    18 years ago

I just wanted to say that even at this early point in the swap organizing proccess, how much I appreciate the people who are already offering me replacements for what was busted up and trampled by the house repair guys. It means a lot that I won't have completely bare spots in the shape of size 15 EEEE feet and parallel ladder tracks in most of my beds after the swap (and I get everything planted).

Threedoogsmom, I will be very happy to take you up on the hardy begonia.

MAG webbers are the best.

Apple tart for everyone this fall (and I even bought a fly cover that will fit over the tart pan to keep the yellow jackets off since we are going back to SSFS).

• alfie_md6
    18 years ago

Professor Dirt, since you'll be Grand Poobah (all hail Professor Dirt, the Grand Poobah!), why don't you make a decision, based on what works best for you?* And then just announce the date. Whatever day is proposed, somebody won't be able to make it. It's an imperfect world :-).

*If you don't like making decisions, I will be happy to act in all secrecy as the power behind the throne. I love making decisions about what other people should do! It's the decisions about what I should do that are hard :-).

Woo hoo! Apple tart for everyone!

• busyasabee
    18 years ago

Count me in! Any date is fine with me. We will await your final decision Professor Dirt.

• slubberdegulion
    18 years ago

Did anyone else see the story about the Sandy Spring Friends School on CNN? Cool!

I might venture through the wilds of the beltway again for the Fall swap.
    Kent

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

So... Professor Dirt, what'cha say?
    Kin we? Kin we? The 15th!?

(If you imagine a toddler rolling around on the floor, begging, "pleeeeeeeeeeeeeezeeeeeeeee" that would be me.)

Christine

• ryanzone7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Christine
    Let me check and see (tommorrow).
    With any luck the person "I" need to ask will be back from vacation and lemme tell you, if anybody deserved a vacation, it was her!
    But, is the 15th o.k. with (mostly)everyone else?
    Does every one have their pick up trucks bought or rented?
    Does anybody have some mini-holly shrubs they are willing to bring? (for the school)
    IALBTC

• rosewomann
    18 years ago

October 15th is great for me! I love the parking lot of your school(lots of great memories of my first swap). :-)

• gardenpaws_VA
    18 years ago

15th is a good date for me - it's late enough so we will HAVE to have put the cottage to bed for the winter. College visits are still a possible issue, but since I have absolutely no idea when those will happen . . .

• gardenpaws_VA
    18 years ago

What kind of mini-holly? I have some I. crenata 'convexa' that I'm about to take out of a bed where I want something else, tho' it's pretty scruffy, and I have a couple of 'helleri' that may be looking for new homes.

• ryanzone7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well,

It looks like the 15th will more than likely be the date.
    The person I've asked said she would check a few things (but I am 99.9% sure thats the day).
    MAG fall swap here we go!
    ialbtc

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

Oh, I LOVE you and her!!!!!

I'm so excited now. I haven't missed a swap since I came to Gardenweb 3 (?) years ago now? I would feel like I'd missed out so badly.

I have it on my calendar and everyone's going to just have to work around it here on my end!

THANK you!

Christine

• spanaval
    18 years ago

*sigh* If Kim's making Apple Tarts for everyone, I suppose I'll have to come. I'm not sure if I'll have anything to trade. I don't suppose anyone wants crabgrass, do you?

Suja

• alfie_md6
    18 years ago

Suja, I think that what everybody wants is an empty car to put all of their extras in. Put it on your "haves" list :-).

• Laurel7286
    18 years ago

"mini" holly????
    Does that mean "mini" now, or "mini" forever?
    I always can find some holly volunteers around, but all of mine will grow to be big trees.

Prof. Dirt, let me know, please.

Laurel
    PS Hi to Barbara!

• ryanzone7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Barbara sez to me all the time 'I miss talking to laurel7286'.
    I say: your swap was our first (and we ALL remember our first time)
    Are there holly shrubs (or some such) around that don't get above 3 feet tall?
    Inquiring minds want to know!
    I'll have a tent set up and perhaps a grill too! (so garden grandma doesn't have to lug hers around, unless she wants to)
    Everybody.........bring a truck.
    cuz IALBTC

• spanaval
    18 years ago

Prof. Dirt, there is such a thing as 'Compacta Holly'. My neighbor has a bunch, and they have stayed around 2 1/2 feet in the 4 years she's had them, although I'm told that it can get up to 4' tall. It has the added bonus of being totally thornless.

Maybe I can lift a couple of hers and she won't notice.

Suja

• oogy4plants
    18 years ago

Oh, no!
    I just saw the posts here. I can make the 8th, but not the 15th as I'll be away on vacation in the desert. I have lots of huge plants taking over and need to remove some of them if I can find the roots over in China. If the swap is the 8th, I may need to do some swapping a la carte and will let you all know what I have. Or maybe I can pass off some stuff to someone to take to the swap for me? I don't really 'need' more plants.
    :)
    Susan

• dawnstorm
    18 years ago

So is the swap the 8th or the 15th?

• ryanzone7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The swap is on the 15th.
    ialbtc

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

Susan,
    Depending upon where you live, I could try to pick up that which you want to trade.

C.

• gardengranma
    18 years ago

Elsewhere it says October 15. So which is it for the Fall swap?(I wouldn't want to miss it). Am still recovering from my car accident (no digging) but have help lined up.

• madeleine_in_md
    18 years ago

Another newbie here and I would like to come to the swap, too, if I may. I don't have much to offer since I have just moved into a new home, but will gladly bring what I have: St John Wort, a few grasses and ground covers, daylilies, lavender and hostas.

• redcat72
    18 years ago

Sounds great! I had a great time at the Spring Swap. Is there another post with directions, times, etc.?
    I think I'll have some pansies, various perennials, and hopefully some more decorative pots this time. I know my mom can't wait to get some more of that wonderful compost!