Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: shoud I come to the swap?

Posted by faerieannette z7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 26, 05 at 14:47

I really would love to come to the swap. I am new to gardening this is my fist house and my first garden. I dont really have anything to trade though. I have a ton of wild violets but everything else is just planted this year so I have nothing to divide. Should I still come?
I know we are not supposed to ask for free plants here but if I go that is pretty much what I will be doing.
Our property used to be a rental and the yard unattended for 10 years! So it was a total mess with the only things I could recognize growing where ivy, poison ivy, kudzu and wild violets. Its still is a mess in places
Anyway thanks to may people on the yahoo group Annapolis freecycle I have gotten Siberian irises, Lillys and some grasses. I have also picked up some things here and there at out garden center. I cant afford it but I am addicted. I was also able to get some hostas from an elderly neighbor who was thankful to have me remove the ones that where covering her walkway. I also have gotten Cleome from Kim here. I just love gardening and it has been very rewarding.
I am anxious to go just to meet other gardeners who may be addicted enough as I am to meet.
Thanks for reading my post,
Annette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: shoud I come to the swap?

• Posted by Suja z7 noVA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 26, 05 at 15:40

Annette, no one keeps tabs on who is bringing (or not bringing) plants. Just take my word for it, people are always happy to have folks around who will take all their extra plants. And if it makes you feel better, bring food. Especially food with chocolate in it. It is always appreciated.

Suja

o

I think you should

ialbtc

o

Of course you should come - just about all of us will happily give plants away to an enthusiast who's starting a garden. After all, some of us go to swaps in part because we have way too much of something!

o

Yes, please come. I'm not the only one who needs to get rid of some plants and doesn't really want anything in exchange.
We love new gardeners who will take our excess plants and give them good homes.

o

I hosted the swap last Spring and hope someone will ask me again for next Spring. Several people asked me the same question and guess what? Someone said: Bring brownies or cookies. But even if you don't -- everyone will be so happy to share their extras -- and there are always lots of extras. I even had a neighbor come with two pots who saw all those folks (he came after everyone had left). There was so much left over and I gave him some stuff and he was so happy, he got them for his wife who was out of town. You should have seen his smile.

o

Gardengranma- You were an awesome host- I'm sure everyone would be delighted for you to host again!!! That was wonderful of you to open your home and garden to so many of us!

o

Sure! The more the merrier! Besides you can always bring food, glorious food!
What part of MD do you live in? asked nosy DawnStorm.

o

I am in Annapolis. I will definately come! And I will make something nice to eat.

o

Maybe we should call this the "Should I bring thread".
(cuz faerieannette should come, there's no question about that!)
So here goes......
Should I bring burlap coffee sacks?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, Delaware, Maryland and District of Columbia are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here