Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
have: have: lots of pretty blue irises

Posted by petet z7a VA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 07 at 17:55

I am about to divide an overcrowded bed of irises and I will have way too many to replant. The iris is an old but award-winning historic variety called 'Great Lakes' that is no longer commercially available. It's a very vigorous grower that will produce loads of pretty sky blue flowers year after year.

I'd love to trade for other irises (preferably named varieties) or other items. I'm really only interested in trading for highly deer-proof plants though because anything else in my garden is deer chow. (The deer are fat enough, let them find their own food!) I live in northern Virginia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris Photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: have: have: lots of pretty blue irises

I hope these still might be available. I'm not an iris person, (so don't have any to trade) but I started a blue and yellow garden this year and iris are blue... Having grown in in Michigan, 'Great Lakes' appeals to me. :)

I have a dwarf crape myrtle that's a nice dark pink. It's 2' x 2' right now and shouldn't get much bigger.

I have no idea what is or isn't deer proof, but can offer some other sun things:

I have a ton of ornamental grasses, both really tall switch grass types and round-habited miscanthus type. I have nandina, Compacta, Domestica, and Dwarf Harbor types that have put out suckers. They'd be around 1' tall right now.

They don't seem to like Monarda, and I have red Jacob Cline, gorgeous magenta Raspberry Wine and Mahogany, and a light lavender that was supposed to be red. The latter is smaller, only having reached about 2' tall this year.

I have a gudzillion ditch lilies, several liriope varieties, etc.

Hope this helps!?
Thanks,
Christine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, Delaware, Maryland and District of Columbia are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here