Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Emergency hosta giveaway

Posted by madsquopper 7a No. VA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 19, 06 at 20:24

Someone in the neighborhood dug out all their plain green hosta yesterday afternoon and left them in the pig recycle pile to be picked up tomorrow. So we went over tonight and brought them back to our house. I originally was going to pot them up and bring them to the swap but there are about 50 clumps! I'd rather get rid of as many as possible right away since I won't be able to pot them until Thursday. For now I'm covering them with a sheet and soaking well, and since most still have soil attached they ought to survive. If you want to come by and take some, let me know. I'm right by Wolf Trap.

Larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Emergency hosta giveaway

Larry,
Do you have any idea if these are H. ventricosa or possibly one of the plantaginea hybrids? (In case you're not a big hosta person - I honestly don't remember - ventricosa tends to have heavy substance and rather olive-toned leaves, while most of the plantaginea selections and hybrids tend more toward a grass-green or yellowy-green.)
If they're plantaginea types, I'd love to have some, as they are my favorites of the big hostas. If they're little and green, that's good too - that probably means lancifolia or even tardiflora.

I live in Herndon and could pick up Saturday afternoon - yes, they should be fine until then, even bare root! They're tough!

Thanks - Robin

o

These look like the very ordinary type with dark green leaves, so maybe not what you want. I might put an ad on freecycle to give some away but if you still want any I'll save some for you.

Larry

o

Hi Larry,

I would love some, but unfortunately I have a wedding this weekend and life is too busy during the work week. If any make it until next weekend, I will be at the swap and would love to take some off your hands.

Jen

o

Larry,
Don't worry about them dying before you can give them away or bring them to the swap. They're probably 'Invincables' and shockingly hearty.
I had huge clumps in my trunk from a friend's. 3 weeks later I realized I'd just plan spaced on them. I ran out to look and there, in my trunk, were healthy, sprouting hosta. In the middle of August.

Some of these clumps sat ON the dirt for a couple of months, still happy as clams.

Vlad will want them.
Christine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, Delaware, Maryland and District of Columbia are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here