Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdrawkcab

Who inspired you to garden?

sdrawkcab
13 years ago

This is not a topic specific to Mid-Atlantic living but this seems like a nice group of folks so I'm posting it here.

Who inspired you to begin gardening?

I'm sure some of us "just liked flowers" or "just liked vegetables" so we decided to grow them but I feel like a lot of people are inspired to start gardening because of a family member or friend. Who got you started?

For me, gardening was probably genetic. My mom has always had beautiful flower gardens coupled with my dad's lawn they won "yard of the month" so many times while I was growing up the neighborhood association asked them to be on the judging panel so they'd be ineligible to win anymore to give others a fair shot.

My maternal grandmother was also a gardener in her younger days (also a florist) but by the time I knew her she had retired to Florida and didn't grow much anymore.

My paternal grandfather was an avid vegetable gardener and some of my fondest memories of him were lifting potatoes and picking pole beans from his garden. I think my admiration for him was probably the biggest influence on my decision to "become a gardener". I'd say I have a lot to thank him for as well. Because he inspired me to garden I now have a job managing a research greenhouse and I also maintain a positive relationship with a local nursery that affords me the opportunity to teach a few classes a year on various topics (I did Hydroponics last summer, lawn care last fall, I think we're doing Hypertufa this spring if anyone's interested).

So, who inspired you?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area