Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Which garden areas does your deer fencing surround?

For the first time I'm going to have to plan on deer fencing, I guess. I've been reading tons of posts with complaints about deer in the east and I do see them, but except for last years pumpkin patch affair, I haven't been bothered. The 50 year old shrub planting (old fashioned stuff), doesn't seem to be attractive the the small band on the hill.

However, I have a newly acquired old property out in the south central PA area and the neighbors tell me that our woods are chock full of deer. THe place has almost no plantings and I'm looking forward to the process. However, the overall area that I plan to use is a grassy, level area of about 4 acres overall. I imagine that it would look awful to try to surround the entirety of acreage with utilitarian fencing, so I'm trying to figure out which type of garden area would be most likely to need protection. How would you rate fencing needs?

1.Orchard/berry area

2. Farm vegetable garden

3.Cottage garden

4. Rugosa rose hedge

5. Bedding plants or ornamental trees/shrubs around house perimeter.

6. Grape arbor

I figure that I will put wire cages around young trees anyway.

How much area is surrounded by your fencing in total?

Also, what height would you recommend a fence be? Do you plant an inner border of shrubs or something to discourage jumping over your fences?

Thanks.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH