Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade tolerant edibles

Posted by ppolischuk 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 29, 09 at 10:05

Hello,

I have a skinny, shady rowhouse backyard in DC. It gets some sun, but between high fences and large trees it's far from full sun. Any suggestions for shade tolerant edibles?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade tolerant edibles

• Posted by rian 7va (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 30, 09 at 7:49

Old fashioned chives come to mind right away. When we were house hunting years ago I saw them flourishing in gardens that had once been sunny. They were growing beautifully along the paths in deep shade, just about the only survivors. Parsley is also beautiful and will take a lot of shade but has to be replanted every year.

Maybe you could grow lettuces and the like in the spring before the trees leaf out.

In my experience blueberries and raspberries will take quite a bit of shade also.

o
RE: Shade tolerant edibles

I read somewhere that cherry tomatoes can handle less sun than regular tomatoes and that currant tomatoes do particularly well in part-shade. I'll be trying them in my part-shade areas this year.

Diana Lynn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here