Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meadow_lark

Shady area opinions/suggestions - Leonardtown

meadow_lark
15 years ago

We are starting to re-work the landscaping at the house we moved into this past August.

There is an area against the back of the house (facing north) that is shady most of the day. Right now, it is filled with blackberry lily, ditch lilies and Pachysandra. Its approximately 8 feet long and 3 feet from front to back.

I want to dig out and remove everything there, and replace it.

I would like to cover the ground with threadleaf false cypress (might be too shady), and then put 2 or 3 taller shrub/small trees there. I'm thinking lacecap hydrangeas or maybe single-leader sand cherrys.

Any comments about this would be appreciated, as I've not gardened in the shade...

Thanks so much...

Comments (6)

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    15 years ago

Hi Meadowlark, we are almost neighbors ... we are in Hollywood and have found a few things that grow quite well in the shady areas of our yard... hostas , coleus, dusty miller, columbine and ferns come to mind first ... but we also discovered that some flowers that prefer partial sun/shade will do fine in mostly shade esp in the heat of summer ... begonias , 4 o'clocks, vinca and certain mums ... if I think of more I will post them ... happy gardening !

• meadow_lark
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Rane Grow and thanks for the response!

I have to ton of work to do... The previous home owners had some good ideas - but the yard really got away from them. I'm trying to decide whether to "amend" or "replace"...

I'm going to try some hosta up close to the house, but the deer will get anything I put out in the yard. We have 6.5 acres... and lots of critters...

I'm thinking about Japanese Hakone Grass for the area up against the house. I have 8 Japanese Maples in pots that I brought from Huntsville. If they survive the winter - they will all go somewhere in the yard.

Do they have any kind ot "swap" or "meet and trade" in our area?

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    15 years ago

hi again Meadowlark , we have deer who like to bring their fawns to boldly nibble on my green beans and tomato plants every summer, not to mention the squirrels who dig up whatever they can ... have you discovered the Amish and Mennonite greenhouses and garden centers in Leonardtown and Loveville yet ? My favorite is Green Acres ... I haven't heard of any swaps / meet and trades in the area .

• kimka
    15 years ago

Hi Meadowlark.

We have a big MAG (Mid-Atlantic Garden forum) swap in the spring, usually in Burtonsville, MD at Gardengandma's. It is a very informal swap where we post wants and have lists on the MAG exchange page a month or so before plus you bring anything else you want to give. Then you roam the sometimes 80 plus cars that show up, picking up and delivering pre-arranged trades and anything else you want, while pewople pick up stuff from beside your car marked available for the taking.

Then we have a major potluck lunch.

We have a smaller swap in the fall that moves around.

• ikea_gw
    15 years ago

Meadowlark, I feel your pain regarding the deer. I spray my hosta and other deer candy with spray every few weeks during the growing season but as soon as I get lazy they will eat my hosta to the stem! We have a north facing planting area with dogwood, rhododendron, azaleas and ajuga as ground cover. In fact north facing areas are the best for rhododendron and azaleas since that prevents winter and early spring damage. If you can't get hosta to survive the deer, try various ferns, ligularia, astilbe and other deer resistant woodland plants. Good luck!

• leslies
    15 years ago

Meadowlark, there's a nice shrub that was reasonably deerproof when I grew it in a rural area in z5NY called eleutherococcus sieboldiana 'Veriegata'. Brightly variegated leaves, minor thorns, no flowers or fruit.

It does OK in dry soil and deep shade, but does better with some water and a little sun. I had them (there and here) on the north side of the house and the one that didn't compete with the maple did best.

If you have deer, hostas will probably just break your heart. Even right up by the house, they often get eaten.

Many hydrangeas will be too large for a 3'space. Mine are easily 6 and 7 feet across and, in bloom, they tend to flop after a rain.

Have a look at these for decent deer resistance:

brunnera macrophylla
    galium odoratum (sweet woodruff)
    podophyllum (mayapple)
    ajuga reptans
    polygonatum (solomon seal)
    hellebore orientalis/niger/foetidus
    sanguineum canadensis

Someone else mentioned ferns and I agree that these work well and play well with others. Maidenhair fern (adiantum)is especially beautiful but is a late riser in the spring.

All are available in the area (maybe even at the spring swap!).

Sponsored