Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rayinpenn

Budget Coldframes after the snow ....

rayinpenn
14 years ago

Well winters half done(yipee!) and I finally walked over by my budget coldframes (solidly built 2x6 however my cheap streak had me use plastic for the panes) Some time ago the winters winds and snow did my plastic panes in!

While I was removing the remnants of the plastic it occurred to me that is I had put some coated wire mess under the plastic I might still have 2 serviceable coldframes. Obviously the wire mess couldnt have any sharp edges..

They worked great until the snow; We enjoyed lettuce and spinach well into the cold weather and I just picked a load of carrots that went into my chicken soup for lunch. I made the mistake of planting a variety that only grows a few inches long- still A major success! My wife said when she was walking the dog a neighbor said our cold frames had encouraged her to save her old windows (just replaced). Too bad the Mrs didnt think to ask if she could spare a few.

I am going to put some plastic on them, and maybe try my idea about wire mesh. Maybe I can scrounge some glass from somewhere... anyone have any ideas??

Sponsored