Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

Bluebirds!

cfmuehling
17 years ago

I have Bluebirds!!

I was sitting on the porch, cat in lap, pop in hand, just enjoying the January day. The next thing I knew, this electric blue streak flashed by, through a leafless tree.

I thought, "What the heck is that? Could it be? naaaaa..."

Then it flashed closer and sat on a branch. Then it was joined by at least another male and two females.

Bluebirds have the most amazing color!! Their orange-y tummies and bright, bright blue. I am so lucky to have them!!

Of course, the English Sparrows were right behind them, trying to bully them, as usual.

C.

Comments (8)

• oscarthecat
    17 years ago

Strange, we have never seen a bluebird on our place. Steve in Baltimore County.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I only see one or two a year if I'm lucky, some years I don't see any. They are such pretty little birds.

• gardengranma
    17 years ago

Christine, I know I have them, and used to see them, but they can be very shy. Have lots of boxes, but need to clean them out soon, and check for sparrows, they are ferocious. I often see them late in the winter when they go after the berries that others won't eat.

• aka_peggy
    17 years ago

I have 2 boxes and usually get at least one nesting pair in the spring. Most often tree swallows will take the other box. I've seen as many as 7 BB's in my yard at a time. However, when they're nesting they don't socialize much with the other blues.

I won't let sparrows use my BB boxes, EVER. In fact, I keep the boxes open until I see a pair of potential nestors. Even so the sparrows will try to move in. Same for wrens. I lost a couple of babies once but I'm not sure if it was a sparrow or a wren that killed them.

If sparrows are allowed to nest in the box just once they are relentless about running the blues off and will even kill the adults sometimes. Sparrows are mean nasty birds and the blues are so beautiful.

• madsquopper
    17 years ago

I saw 3 bluebirds at the sunflower feeder on Saturday. First time I've ever seen any since we moved here (about 12 years). It would be great to have them nest in one of the boxes but I'd be surprised if they did since our yard isn't their preferred environment.

Larry

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Boxes? Tell me more.

How would you keep the other birds out?

C.

• aka_peggy
    17 years ago

Christine, some nest boxes are better suited to BB's that others. The one in the link is a stardard BB box but there are other similiar designs. BB's prefer to nest in open fields and meadows that contain scattered trees and shrubs. Woodland habitats are less favorable to bluebirds. A number of other birds will use BB boxes including wrens and English sparrows. However wrens prefer nesting in a woodland locale. English sparrows, or house sparrows (HOSP) will nest anywhere and they are the greatest enemy to BB's. They've been known to kill the babies and build their nest right over them. So if you don't have the heart to discourage these aggressive birds, bluebirding may not be for you. Some people go so far as to trap the HOSP and kill them.

There's a door on all BB boxes for monitoring or cleaning the box after the babies have "fledged" or flown the coop:)Birds will not nest in a box when the door is open. I use a stick to prop it open. These birds are smarter than you may think and they can close the door. I used to put large sticks in the hole but the HOSP would remove them. Then you MUST remove their nests. I wait until I see a couple of blues checking out the box...then I close it securely.

It's best to mount your BB box on a metal pole. That makes it impossible for squirrels, snakes, racoons and the like to climb up. Many people use a "baffle" to keep predators at bay.

There is a BB forum at gardenweb (naturenet) but I find many of them folks there to be super snobby so I don't post there. It's good reading tho. http://nature.gardenweb.com/forums/bluebird/

BB's are territorial when they're nesting so nest boxes should be placed a min of 100 yds apart. I have 2 boxes that are spaced about 40' apart and generally tree swallows will take one box and the blues will take the other, as the TS are also territorial. That way I figure they can look after each other. TS are amazingly acrobatic and watching them is such a joy. Both birds enjoy the company of humans and like nesting close to homes. Two of my boxes are placed in the middle of my perennial bed about 50-60' from my deck. I walk around the yard and work in the garden and they don't seem to mind at all.

One last thing, blues start looking for nest sites around the end of April, 1st of May. Sometimes they'll start building a nest and then desert. No one knows why. Their preferred nesting material is straw or pine needles. Even tho there are several large pines in the vicinity of my boxes, they always go for the straw in my veggie garden. They can also fledge more than one brood in a season. Two years ago just as I had given up, a pair of blues moved in around the end of June and fledged 5 babes a month later.

I hope that helps!!

Here is a link that might be useful: BB box

• julia3
    17 years ago

I had a bluebird house several years ago. I kept throwing out the house sparrow's nest whenever they'd start building one. Finally had a bluebird pair build a nest in my house, then they laid eggs and the eggs hatched. A week or so later, I went to monitor the nest and found all the baby bluebirds had been pecked to death. Or at least that's what it looked like to me :( Despite the failure of my house, I still see bluebirds around here a lot (we're semi-rural, old farm field)so I guess they're finding enough places to nest.