Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winterberry flowering times

Posted by pankhi z7Md (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 27, 05 at 16:10

I have 10 year-old male and female winterberry shrubs (Ilex verticillata). The female is now about 10 feet tall and the male is about 3 feet tall. The shurbs came from Behnke nursery. I want to plant more female winterberry shrubs but don't know which male I have. I was told that I should look at when the male has flowers to determine the cultivar. I live in Montgomery County, MD (about 15 miles northwest of Wash. DC). Does anyone have approximate timings of flowering for the various male cultivars?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winterberry flowering times

I will attempt to e-mail you a picture of the chart published in my forestfarm.com catalog. It may actually be on their website, but I did not check. Their calendar dates may be different since I do not know the source of their chart, but if you know the name of your female plant, the chart shows bloom time for a compatible male.
If I knew how to post full sized pictures, I would simply attach it here. The only pictures I have learned how to post turn out tiny.
I have a similar problem with a female that gets almost no berries. Wild plants are probably less than a mile away but insects pollinate these plants and the chances are slight that any little insect will get from a male to my female.
I ordered the male called 'Apollo' and only hope bloom times coincide, not knowing the variety of female I have.
I did not check the garden webs search engine for an answer to your question. This is often the first thing a person should do, but you cannot always find a direct answer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here