Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Any other Carroll Countians (MD) here?

I'm trying to find my gardenweb neighbors...

Comments (42)

• latami
    19 years ago

I'm close, southern Frederick County.

• watergal
    19 years ago

I'm in Westminster. Where are you?

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Latami and Watergal,

I'm in the city of Westminster (recently annexed property). I'm trying to find who my gardening neighbors are. A friend of mine in another state met her garden pals on line-- turned out they were living close enough to schedule garden-based get togethers and foster friendships based on mutual interests. I've been here a year and a half and am still learning about this area and the climate. I mostly had experience with plants with low light requirements (more shade than sun available at my last home) before moving here (other than the OG roses I tried with some success). Now I have lots of open space with sun and I'm almost overwhelmed with choices and haven't made any for permanent plantings!

How about you two?

• mdaughn
    19 years ago

Hi CC Neighbors,
    I am in southern Carroll County, I live right on 97, just south of 26. I have been in my home 5 years and am just now starting on the plantings...the house was lovingly called a fixer-upper, that is where my time and money have been going so far. I have also gotten to do all that landscaping that nobody can see...regrading for drainage, installing a retaining wall, taking out the dead trees. I have a raised bed along the edge of my property about 110 feet long and 6-8 wide that I got to start last summer with flowering shrubs and perennials...I got about 1/4 of the way. I think this spring should be fun.

M.

• sergeantcuff
    19 years ago

I'm in Sykesville. I am running out of space and sunlight here. I too am interested in old roses, (and other old-fashioned flowers) and have given them the sunniest spots. I've crammed about 20 in, no room for more, as I like my roses mixed with perennials. If I had more sun and space, like you, I would consider some of the OGRs that get huge. Every year I like to go to Heritage Rosarium (in Montgomery Co,) to see these specimens. They have an open house Memorial Day weekend. (there are some roses for sale, too).

My house is older (1930's) that already had alot of plantings, mostly overgrown, and lots of weedy maple trees. Do you have a new house, like a blank slate garden? I am blessed with good soil, as the house was built for 3 sisters who gardened and the previous owners left their composter behind.
    Maureen

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi you guys! (Smile and wave)
    MDaugh,
    Wow! That's a nice raised bed to work in! I'm a real fan of flowering shrubs--especially fragrant ones.
    Maureen,
    I became really interested in OGRs when we lived in Virginia. My yard was shady, but the Alba's did fine. I must have had at least 20 OGRs in raised beds and around the house (all kinds, not just Albas). We had a stucco house and the N. side nurtured some of the recalcitrant zone 8's along in an otherwise inhospitable zone 7. I had all kinds of clematis twining among them too. Nostalgia sets in, but husband made me promise not to plant any near walkways. Those 8 footers really get huge in all directions. I had too much shade for them to bloom spectacularly, but everything did! Late spring was pretty outstanding. Not to mention all the years of putting in rescue azaleas and lots of bulbs, etc. Didn't do much to the house, but I would have gladly lived outside.

I have a somewhat older house Maureen, built in the late 50's. It was owner-built (we're the second resident). DPO wasn't much into gardening. I have seen a couple of peonies, some spotty plantings of barberry and red clove bush and a long hedge behind us with forsythia, bridal wreath, lilacs, Japanese maples, etc. I love hedges, but this one needs thinning badly and there is honeysuckle, wild rose, bittersweet and poison ivy in residence all through it. Yuck. There aren't any true shade trees--they are all ornamentals-- I guess cause we have a great view of Westminster so no trees in the way. Basically, we have lots of grass all around (front a pasture hill, soon to be developed). My upslope neighbors all have their yards professionally done. I'm more of a hands on kind of gal.

Have any of you done garden tours/outings? Do you have garden pals in your neighborhoods that you share with?

• frontiercc
    19 years ago

Hello there, I'm in Carroll also. Been here lotsa years. Only way I'm leaving is in a pine box. Born and raised here, it kinda gets in your blood. I'm near Taneytown/Westminster/Silver run.

MDaughn- I pass your house 2x a day on my way to Columbia.

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hiya Frontiercc,

I'm really interested in hearing from you about Carroll County, seeing as I'm new here. What in particular "gets in your blood" about it? What do you like about the county in particular and to you makes it unique?

To me it feels a bit like upstate NY farm country where I was raised and that is what drew me here. The pace of change isn't quite so breakneck as NVA--also a relief.

• sergeantcuff
    19 years ago

I don't know any people in my town that do much gardening, that's why I turn to Gardenweb for advice on specific plants/situations.(Although I don't use my ancient computer much these days).

I have two elementary school-aged boys, and their friends' parents are the ones usually seeing my garden, and I have to tell you they are not impressed! I like a more natural, 4-season look, and some of the plants i really love, sweet william and foxglove for instance, don't look too great when not in bloom. Also when the daffodils are done, and their dying foliage is sprawled everywhere, before the perennials get started.

People seem more used to beds of annuals that look more manicured.

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey Maureen,

That's the "cottage garden" look, isn't it? I have fond memories of my grandma's garden on the farm. It had meandering footpaths that would through little clumps of this and that, under the fruit trees and the grapes growing up into the butternuts and back to one of the vegetable gardens. Nothing fancy, but it was full of her personality.

Some people like more structure, is all and others just don't know how to place plants to best advantage so it appears haphazard--definitely fixable *if* the owner cares!

There's a Garden Club over on Westmoreland Street and a second one I've heard of. I haven't joined yet, mostly because I don't know anyone and it's hard for me to just knock on a stranger's door. I chat up anyone I see on my walks who is out doing yard stuff and from the looks of the flowers in Westminster, thee are a lot of people who take pride in brightening up their entryways, porches and sideyards. So many bright flowers! Before GardenWeb, I used to be a Compuserve subscriber to their garden network. Talk about slow downloads on an archaic system!

I like 4 seasons shrubs and would love to put in a wide perennial bed someplace in my yard. Manicured gardens that I've seen usually have a truck parked nearby with a bunch of "professional help" holding blowers, edgers, fertilizer carts, and tools. Not a whole lot of personal investment in the outcome, it would seem.

My kids are all teenagers. They have some appreciation for vegetables and fruits grown at home and used to help put together container gardens of flowers. Still, I'm the main one with the hobby. Hubby would be happy to stay indoors or on the porch with a drink, for the most part. No desire to delve in dirt. :-) He likes to show off my efforts when they're good, though!

• frontiercc
    19 years ago

Suji-

Well, as I said, I am born and raised Carroll County. Spent lots of time during my formative years on the family farm near New Windsor and my family has been around here for 4 generations. I like the history of it all. Although i must admit, I hate to see Westminster growing and maturing. I like the sleepy town days better. But time marches on with or without us.

We're in a great location geographically. Lots of history around (especially if you like the civil war). A ton of great activities for me and my kids, good schools, a decent climate (I like snow- so I'm excited about tomorrow)and lots of things to do within a reasonable distance. As far as living in MD, I think Carroll is one of the best. The down home charm hasn't been lost yet like in Howard, Baltimore, or PG.

I like that I can go into the local grocery store and they know me and my family by name. And if I come up a dollar short, I can owe them. And if the wifey thinks of something else she needs while I'm there, she can call and they know her by voice when they answer the phone. Then they go and get what it is she needs and bring it to me.

We're 3 hours to the beach OR the mountains and a short drive to DC, Baltimore, or NYC. We have real seasons. And the people of this area are the finest you'll find anywhere. Sure there are some knuckleheads around. But for the most part, the people are great. ( I just figure the knuckleheads are usually transplants from the city ;)Just look at the Holiday hope campaign that the Times ran this Christmas. $25 or $30 at a time and the people stepped up to help their neighbors.

Now for the gardening, I've got great soil. SOmething that isn't necessarily common to Carroll - especially in and around westminster. There are several fantastic nurseries around- if you know where to look. Even the local lowes has a darn good nursery for a big chain. I have a few folks that I trade plants with. Not too many. I am off the beaten path a good bit, so the neighbors aren't too close.

I like the freebies section of the Times classifieds a lot. Come spring, there will always be stuff in there Plants, pots, I even got some bamboo shoots to use a stakes last year from a lady in Westminster. I once got three giant fountain grasses just for digging them up for a lady. Same with some butterfly bush. Just have to keep your eyes open. And then when I have stuff that i need to get rid of, I call and place an ad. People are glad to take stuff if it's not trash- and sometimes even then.

E-mail me if you have more questions about the area. There really is a lot to see and do. Some of it is well publicized and some isn't. And I'll probably have some plants this spring to thin and get rid of. If you're interested.

• frontiercc
    19 years ago

Watergal-

Are you still at Meadow Farms? I never stopped in to meet you last year. Maybe come Feb when you reopen, I'll get the chance. If you're still there.

• latami
    19 years ago

Sugiwan, I'm from upstate (western) NY also. Too cold, too much winter. I'm glad to be able to grow plants like camellias, crinums, mahonias, magnolias, heaths, etc. Winter seemed endless in NY.

• watergal
    19 years ago

Frontiercc,

I'm no longer with Meadows Farms. I'm now working as a "plant lady", taking care of tropical plants in commercial places. I really like my new job, although I have to drive to downtown Baltimore, BWI Airport, and other traffic-ridden locations.

We've lived in Carroll County since 1993, on a quarter-acre lot in a subdivision. Lived in Woodlawn in Baltimore County before that. I'm running out of room for gardens, especially sunny ones, on our current property. But it's OK because I'm also running out of time now that I work full-time! If you want details about my gardens, see my profile.

I don't really have any gardening buddies, although some of my neighbors are really into it and we chat and swap plants. I really wanted to take the Master Gardener course, but it's never fit into my schedule. That's probably a great way to meet other gardeners.

• AnnieHerb
    19 years ago

Hi,
    I live just north of Carroll County, Md, just outside of Littlestown PA. I grew up in Carroll Co., was a 4-H member and was always outside helping my father garden. Now my husband(Carroll Co.schoolteacher)and I are retired and live on 55 acres, have a small nursery (can't advertise here!) and work harder than before. Will be in Westminster next Sunday evening at United Methodist Church giving a talk on Herbs and Plants of the Bible. I enjoy Garden Web--get lots of interesting information from it. Nice to meet you all.

• AnnieHerb
    19 years ago

Me again---Have wrong date for Herbs Of the Bible presentation at Westminster Methodist Church. It was changed to Sunday, February 13--6:30 pm--program starts at 7:30 pm. It is open to the public-call Church for more information.

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Latami and AnnieHerb,

Latami--what part of western NY? I lived near Holley (Rochester metro area) way back when. Last place was in the Syracuse metro region (Baldwinsville). I never minded the cold when I was there-we were out in it all the time unlike my own kids who complain about Maryland's version of winter. I liked the cooler summers as well. I like that the growing season is longer here. I miss the vegetable and fruit farms that are in abundance there.

Annieherb,
    I am envious of your 55 acre spread. I do love farm land in good heart! An orchard, a wood copse, a farm garden, some cows/horses/goats/sheep/chickens/pigs. Makes me nostalgic for my Gramma!

You say you have a small nursery--what are you growing and selling up there in Littlestown? Maybe I'll come to your talk. This is the Methodist Church on Main Street?

Suji

• AnnieHerb
    19 years ago

Hi Suji
    The talk on Herbs of the Bible is at the Methodist Church on Main Street in Westminster. They changed the date because of the snow. Don't know what Feb. 13th will bring, so just give the Church a call to make sure the program is on---I raise herbs, perennials, old-fashioned annuals and am getting into some native plants and shrubs. I like the old fashion cottage garden design--plants with fragrance and use.

• watergal
    19 years ago

Annie,

Do you sell at the Carroll County farmers' market? I think I've seen you guys there!

• bulldinkie
    19 years ago

I live above Hanover Pa Ive been there numerous times.I grew up in Hanover.My husband builds homes in Carroll Co.My mother worked at Black & Decker till she died.

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi there Bulldinkie.
    I think that perhaps there is a closer connection between PA and MD through Carroll County than many of the other counties (exzcepting maybe those in the western panhandle portion of MD).

I note from your personal page that you like the farm life forum. Do you live on a farm now? The farm connection is what brought me up to Carroll, so I like talking about it and seeing who else likes the rural life.

What type of gardens interest you and brought you to GW?

• latami
    19 years ago

Sujiwan,

Allegany County, near, well nothing. You lived in heavy snow country. I came from an area that got more snow than we get here but mostly wicked cold, too far from the Great Lakes to modify the temperature. Summers were (and still are) great though.

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm trying to place Allegany County. Ok, I see you weren't too far from Corning and ELmira areas. I was looking at some really great old homes there ( looking for historic real eatate is a real passion of mine!)
    I lived in Oswego, Jefferson, Westchester, Orleans, Otsego, Onandaga and Seneca Counties while I was growing up in NY. Yes, I still find myself longing for the summers of my youth...

• latami
    19 years ago

Check out the "Pink House". It's a Wellsville (that's where I'm from) landmark. Here it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wellsville Landmarks

• sandykk
    19 years ago

I'm here too!! Eldersburg, right up from Sykesville. We have been in our house for 13 yrs now. Love gardening and digging in my yard. We have 1 acre and lots of tall trees. The deer are making me work extra hard to keep them out. They love my yard. Can't wait for warmer weather.
    Sandy

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey there Sandy,

ELdersburg and Sykesville are certainly becoming a bustling area outpost for the outer DC region commuters. Lots of nice houses that I've seen en route.

How nice to have an acre.Re-trees:One weird thing I've noted about Westminster (vs. Fairfax where I came from), is how few houses have big trees around them. I mean it's great for container plants and flowers that like sun, but it almost seems as though there is some cultural thing going on between architecture and yard that doesn't include large growing trees. Maybe Main Street-- a few huge Sycamores and some of those turn of the century "World's Fair souvenir" evergreens that grew large. In NVA, the woodsy feel was very evident in neighborhoods and on streets.

I've been getting my first seeds orders from the mail and am looking forward to starting seeds soon.

Glad to meet ya!

Sue in Westminster

• watergal
    19 years ago

Sue,

I grew up in Northern VA too. I suspect most of the houses there were built in formerly wooded areas, so the trees were already there. Most of Carroll County was farmland, so there weren't many large trees to begin with.

• sandykk
    19 years ago

Hi Sue in Westminster!!
    Yes, Carroll Co is a growing area in MD. We back up to the Liberty Reservoir. So lots of land that has been set aside and not touched. Our lot was fully wooded before the house was built. We left lots of the trees in the back which give us nice shade. I have wonderful hostas growing every where. Can't wait to see their smiling faces this Spring. I go up to Carroll Gardens every once in a while, but can't stand all their weeds! Like the smaller nurseries around here better.

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh, that's such a pretty area.I'm so glad there are set asides, aren't you? When I drive through that area, I open the windows to inhale the fragrance of pine...

I just don't have big trees here at my house. The whole yard habitat is built around having a view, for me and for neighbors, so no one has big trees on my end of the hill. Now on the alleyway in front of one older house there are some mammoth beech trees I'd die for.

• bulldinkie
    19 years ago

Sujiwan-yes I live on a farm we have 40 acres we raise Reg.Texas Longhorn cattle,horses,2 mini donkeys,white mute swans,chickens.
    Love to garden.When we bought this place the only thing here were overgrown lilacs.I redid all flower beds,we completely restored the old 1700 farm house.we put a log cabin in, we tore down brought here set up ,we bought from a historical sosiety.we put a kitchen garden in with 8 raised beds.love it all fun to garden in there.country life,Pennsylvania is a beautiful state.

• AlbumE27
    18 years ago

Hello! I live off of 97 going towards Littlestown in the subdivision called Kalten Acres...if you dont know where that is well its near airport.

• sandykk
    18 years ago

Hi Album,
    Just found Seasons Past Nursery up your way. Came home with a bunch of new hostas to add to my collection. Welcome! Sandy

• wankel
    16 years ago

Westminster. Moved there a year ago from South Carolina.

• glasslady21102
    16 years ago

This thread was started in '05 ??? !!!!

I am near Manchester.. I know watergal from some trades we have done.. found 2 other great gals near Eldersburg.. my daughter just moved to a new for her house with few plants.. We are working on beds so that she is ready for plants in the fall and again next spring at the swap..

hope to meet others from this area..

nancyB

• watergal
    16 years ago

Hi Nancy! I'm going to be doing some perennial divides in the fall, mostly shade or partially shade plants, if your daughter is interested. I enjoyed rereading this thread - I had forgotten all about it.

Do you ever go searching for a really obscure garden topic on Google and come up with an old post on GardenWeb with your own name on it? It's a bizarre and slightly creepy feeling!

Hi too to Suji. I remember meeting you at the swap. Not sure if I'll be coming to the fall swap or not.

• wankel
    16 years ago

>> This thread was started in '05 ??? !!!!

LOL! My thoughts exactly. Heck, in 2005, as a South Carolinian, there's no way I would have EVER predicted I would be living in Maryland in 2007.

• jakejones
    16 years ago

There is a garden club for greater Baltimore. I just started attending. Please send me an email for the information. I'm not sure the garden web email system is working, however!!

I'm in Reisterstown and work in CC.

• maders
    16 years ago

Used to be on York Road in Manchester! I had a lovely garden- now I'm moving ack to Baltimre County (towson) and can't wait to get my hands in MD dirt! There used to be an enchange in Fall/ spring at Piney Run- is that still happening? There was a woman who sold day lilies form her yard- can't wait to go back and see her!
    I will be starting over as Florida is so different. Also, anyone want to get together/ email for ideas planning garden-y stuff? I am planning on doing some volunteer gardening at a local area.

• kmb2403
    16 years ago

Long time lurker coming out to say hi...
    I live in Manchester :)

• watergal
    16 years ago

Hi there! Glad you "de-lurked"!

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice to see so many people suddenly responding to this thread!
    BTW, I know of at least one garden club cuz I'm in it: Carroll Garden Club. They will meet officially in September since all are on summer hiatus, but there are still on going activities.
    Gardengal, hi--I remember meeting you too.

• jakejones
    16 years ago

We will be having an Open Garden in Reisterstown, MD this Saturday, July 7th, 10-12. Please private message me and I'll send directions.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County