Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When's the best time to prune a butterfly bush in this area?

Posted by dawnstorm 7/MD (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 16, 09 at 20:55

Mine look like Woodstock refugees, plus I intend to move them in the spring. I've always heard that winter is the best time for pruning, but is that true? I don't know the names of my bushes, but two are white and two are lavender.
Thanks much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When's the best time to prune a butterfly bush in this area?

We prune ours severely down to about 2 feet from the ground , I believe in february, when spring arrives it sprouts new growth up so fast !! We could almost see it grow inches every day it seemed to... about 12 feet in height ! It was beautiful , the bees and butterflies love it ... I can't wait till spring !

o

Jan/Feb. Down to 2 feet or even less. Or maybe try three feet.

o

The key is that it needs to be dormant. I do mine some time around Feb or March. Same time I do the Crape Myrtle and Pee Gee Hydrangea.

o

I prune mine late fall-it's not quite dormant but the flowers are all dead. Mine is near a fishpond-I don't want the dead leaves to blow into the pond during winter.

o

My deer decided the best time was last late last fall after other foliage had died off. Right now (1 March) they are getting around to pruning the spruces.

o

DO IT NOW! Don't delay like I did last year - I have two 10-ft tall butterfly bushes now. They're waaaay out of control. I'm waiting for a "good" day (I'm undergoing chemo right now so I tire out early - see MAGTAG 2009 post) to tackle this.

Actually, you might want to wait until this predicted sleet storm is over with, come to think of it.

o

I hope you got your butterfly bush pruned. There is one in my neighborhood I admired last year that was the size of a small tree. The weight of the snow on the branches last week cracked half of it right off!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here