Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madsquopper

Not a serious Spring Swap post (yet)

madsquopper
9 years ago

Just wanted everyone to know that Henrietta called to tell me 2 things:

1) She's happy to host the swap again
2) She just had major back surgery last week but is doing pretty well so far and figures 3 months is easily enough time to get better

When we want to start real discussions I'll create another date survey, although it always seems like we end up with the Saturday before Mothers Day.

Larry

Comments (30)

• kimka
    9 years ago

The lack of postings on this forum does worry me a bit. Where is everybody? Are you posting somewhere else these days?

I missed last spring's swap which was my first miss in a long time. But that does mean I should have a couple of monkshoods that will need dividing this spring, if spring ever comes.

Maybe some of us could get together and help Henrietta with a yard day a couple of weeks before the swap to help her get the yard ready, if her back work slows her down?

• kimka
    9 years ago

The lack of postings on this forum does worry me a bit. Where is everybody? Are you posting somewhere else these days?

I missed last spring's swap which was my first miss in a long time. But that does mean I should have a couple of monkshoods that will need dividing this spring, if spring ever comes.

Maybe some of us could get together and help Henrietta with a yard day a couple of weeks before the swap to help her get the yard ready, if her back work slows her down?

• amanda_m
    9 years ago

I too wonder where the Mid-Atlantic action is. I read the Soils/Compost, Hostas, Perennials, and Annuals forums a lot. I wish there was more action here.

I would love to help with a spring plant swap if there is anything I can do. I am in the Baltimore suburbs.

• ellicottcitycathy
    9 years ago

Hi Kim,
    I've missed a couple of years but now have a new titanium knee (that finally works!) and am looking forward to working in the garden again. I think offering to help Henrietta the weekend before would be really nice. I'd definitely pitch in with that.

• madsquopper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Henrietta said she likely won't need gardening help (has people who do that) but might be able to use setup help the week before. She'll either let us know directly once she gets her email fixed, or I can let people know.

• CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
    9 years ago

From what I've seen, there are a lot of lurkers just FOR the swap. Lots who have been around a while turn up, but don't bother posting. I'm trying to share things that happen 'round here, simply to keep some action going.

I"m up for the swap and will plan Saturday before Mother's Day again. I have to give a month's notice for schedule changes at work, so make a decision, folks! And lurkers? If you don't post anything in the first place, I'm not sure you have much say in the date decision. But that's MHO.

• Ann
    9 years ago

Hi all, I am always ready for the Spring swap. Since it's around my birthday, I think of it as a birthday present for myself. I should have loads to share this year, but I agree with everyone about the lurkers.

I find that GW dosn't offer the friendliness that was once prevalent. When I offered SASE offers for my extras there have been people who didn't follow the "rules" and those complainers. This is the one time of year that I log on to GW to catch up on the MAG Swap news and to catch up to many of you.

If Henrietta needs help, please let me know and if at all possible I will be there to help too.

• springplanter
    9 years ago

I too am looking forward to seeing everyone and their contributions as well. Like Cristine, I noticed an increase in those who come only for the swap and was a little put off by a few people who were "grabbing" before I could get things unloaded i hope Houzz gets the individual email thing resolved so that those of us who so wish can contact before the swap to be sure to have some things saved.

Wishing the best in recovery to Henrietta

• springplanter
    9 years ago

hi all:

did you notice that under the box with "exchanges and swaps" you can now get to the HAVE and WANTED lists for other years? Looks as though the onnly thing lacking for a good swap is the ability to contact others directly

• CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I hadn't, Springplanter. That's good news.

I had an interesting thing happen at the last swap. I'd brought hosta for a bunch of different people. Someone said to me that hosta was all they wanted, and seemed to be really annoyed I didn't just hand all I had over to her, because [italicized] that was all she'd come for.

I think the point of a trade was lost in that situation. I sure don't mind giving my stuff away, because I'm developed enough that I need absolutely nothing for my gardens. But I do want to spread it around as much as possible.

Anyway, I'm up for it and am going to request time off for the Saturday before Mother's Day. I hope that traditional date holds true!

• annebert
    9 years ago

annebert here but somebody took my name, so now I'm theoriginalannebert. Yes, I look forward to the swap. My work has becoem crazy busy since Christmas, but I finished my MPH, so maybe I have time to teach Henrietta to make beer!

• kimka
    9 years ago

It said someone has my name too. Curious isn't it? Did anyone get to keep their own name?

But back to the swap. If we don't get some actual spring like weather, we may need to push the swap back if people are going to have anything to trade or give away. Normally by now, I would have the monkshood and the bleeding hearts starting to show leaf tips and be thinking about which ones I would divide. I have such a thick layer of snow and ice right now, I couldn't even tell you where they are.

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    9 years ago

I'm here, still trying to deal with the changes. Honestly, I really hate it when websites change hands. I think part of what bothers me here is the font and too much white. I was a bit afraid that maybe people would be put off by the changes and even fewer would check in to GW over-all. It sort of bothers me that something started as a friendly get together with GW as a link becomes an impersonal swap only event. I think I'd post more often if I was assured people would be around to respond, but the dates are so far apart. My new thing this year is Winter Sowing (learned from forum here). We'll see how the perennials turn out.

• Ann
    9 years ago

I wonder if it would make more sense to invite folks to create a Facebook page so we can avoid the lurkers and the itchy fingers at the swap. Thoughts?

• kimka
    9 years ago

Sujiwan,

I guess I'm with you, I do not like the font, the line spacing, the white background and the set up on this site.

We started the swaps as a way for some of the MAGers to meet in person as we got to know each other on-line. The pot luck and the talking was as much a part of the party as the plant swapping. We were all surprised at how big the spring swap got and it was just in our nature to welcome anyone who wanted to join us for the love of plants. Remember we had the police show up for one reason or another at the first five or six of the them.

But maybe it is time to rethink the whole deal. I think we should go with it this year as is since we are so close this year and see what the impact of the switch to HOUZZ is on who comes.

But I'm also open to a Facebook page idea.

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    9 years ago

It might be good to do a FB *addition* for this MidAtl group and/or just the swap. I'm already on FB as it is. However, I wouldn't want to deprive fine new people of the opportunity to join in the fun who wouldn't do FB. Still-- without previous interactions online, there is no sense of MidATL GW community and it begins to seem rather mercenary on the part of hit and runs, especially if they don't ever bring anything themselves yet return yearly. (AH, we gardeners are known to be rather generous anyhow. :-))
    Since I grow from seed, I don't worry about outdoor weather much, except that it being like a half zone or zone warmer for most people at the swap, I have to start tomato seeds quite early. (I have to wait to set my own out!)
    If someone wants to try putting up a FB page for this, I'll join it. It would be a worthy experiment.

• zone7patti (7b)
    9 years ago

I just found GW again when it joined houzz. I hope to stay connected this time but won't if you move to FB. pk

• busyasabee
    9 years ago

glad I finally found where everyone went. This new website is kinda not so friendly to use.

when are we having our Spring MagSwap 2015? I'm also on FB if we want to do a group there. Let me know. Jette

• springplanter
    9 years ago

ok On the kitchens forum there are instructions for activqting the qbility to email and receive them Looks as though little by little we are overcoming the swap difficulties

Enjoy the snow! :- )

• zone7patti (7b)
    9 years ago

Hi, springplanter. Where can I find that 'exchanges and swaps' box? I've been clicking around for a little while now with no luck. Thanks. pk

• Thomas Galloway
    9 years ago

I'll try to make it. this year I'll be bringing compost in exchange for fine gardening back issues (any back issues)

• springplanter
    9 years ago

for Patti:

I had gardenweb bookmarked and when I go there it is on the right side. See if this works for you:

http://www.gardenweb.com/  It opens in houzz but has the headings of garden, house, and exchanges boxes to click on

• zone7patti (7b)
    9 years ago

Thanks, springplanter. I found no 'garden, house and exchanges' but Wow! The link took me to houzz pix of renovation projects. Hundred of thousands of them! I planned to poke around on the site eventually and your link sent me to a good place to start.

• springplanter
    9 years ago

trying again: I use linux so things may be a bit different, but when I open gardenweb.com, this is what shows

• gardnwatch
    9 years ago

I think a FB page for the MidAtlantic would be great. I wil join.

Bonnie

• kimka
    8 years ago

My monkshoods finally finally began breaking dormancy this weekend, pushing first leaves out of the cold soil. But this means I will be able to divide at least one bunch and have some for the swap. They are only about three to four weeks behind. I haven't seen any signs of the bleeding hearts breaking dormancy yet. Maybe next weekend?

• kilngod
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

CEFreeman_GW,

Darling, that was me.

I was not annoyed that you did not hand all you had over to me, I was annoyed that you jumped all over me for moving the pots around, and that you were dealing with me meanly.

And that is not what I said.

And we resolved it well-enough then. Yet back to a wrong first impression now.

No need to pursue it. I am simply not pleased.

I aim to enjoy the swap and have fun.

• ellicottcitycathy
    8 years ago

Hi KilnGod,

First, Thanks for all your time and efforts organizing the swap.

I have not swapped anything with you, although I've been to four swaps. I"m still a "newbie", I just joined the group in 2010. If you introduced yourself as "kilngod" I wouldn't remember if you had helped with the last swap. I too had health issues and couldn't go the last couple of years. I certainly would not recognize you visually. We go years in this forum without putting a face to a name.

But we've got a bit of a problem with a few folks (aka "newbies" or "outsiders") who don't participate all year and then show up at Henrietta's with incredibly bold attitudes and sticky fingers. For example, I had a Jacobs Ladder that was clearly marked for someone that I put on the roof of my car until I could walk around to open my trunk and it got snatched in just that short time. This causes me to keep my car doors locked up with the plants I have marked for swapping inside. I bring a lot of "freebie" plants (especially plain green hostas!) that I set out behind my car.

But I would say that if you actually came up and started touching the plants that I've organized to swap that I would probably also jump to the same conclusions. No offense intended, its just that a few gardeners without a sharing spirit have invaded our swap the last few years. Unfortunate, yes, but human nature, yes. I still have LOTS of autumn joy to share with them!!

So, Kilngod, I would not take it personally, please avoid feeling trauma, or like you've been slapped. You haven't been. I hope we can continue to have them and not offend anyone or step on anyone's toes unnecessarily. The swap is such a community minded thing to do, we shouldn't give it up because of a few knuckleheads.

• kilngod
    8 years ago

Even weeds would make us laugh pretty good!

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz