Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maranj_gw

Rhubarb

maranj
16 years ago

Would anyone have rhubarb plants they would be willing to divide in the spring? I just moved to a new house last summer so don't have much to offer in exchange..........just hostas, a few daylillies, cocozelle bush zucchini seeds

Comments (10)

• maranj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

SORRY, DIDN'T REALIZE THERE WAS A SEPARATE PLACE FOR EXCHANGES, I WILL RE-POST THIS THERE.

• annebert
    16 years ago

Maranj,

watch for messages about the spring swap. Someone is bound to have rhubarb,and you don't really need plants to trade (brownies are legal currency with this bunch)

• maranj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks annebert, I'll watch for it and try to attend. Where do they usually take place?

• annebert
    16 years ago

It can vary, but I think the spring one will b eat Garden Grandma's in Burtonsville (Montgomery County).

• haferguson
    16 years ago

When and how is notification given for this spring event and does anyone know approx. when it would be?
    I just restored an old gatehouse in Plainfield and want to get rid of my lawn and replace with beds, of course money is issue after the house being redone. Any lawn will end up being strictly pathways between beds.

• agardenstateof_mind
    16 years ago

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but in response to heferguson, there are a few other options if you can't make the Mid-Atlantic plant swap ... unfortunately, though, I doubt that any of these take brownies as currency:

1)Check with the Master Gardeners in Union County to see if they have any plant sales or swaps in the spring;
    2)Rutgers U. has a great plant sale in the spring - I believe it's Mother's Day weekend.
    3)Your county parks may sponsor a plant swap (Monmouth County Park System has one each year at Deep Cut Gardens)
    4)Check the Exchange section in the forums, especially in March/April when it's time to divide plants.

In general, I've found gardeners to be quite willing to share ... though I'm not sure whether it's out of pure generosity or the need to justify and validate our own obsession by enabling others to be a thoroughly hooked as we are ;-)

Maranj, I wish I had some rhubarb to share. I bought some rootstock last spring, just two plants, and have no idea how long it will take them to get established. It was one of the few things the groundhog left alone, though.

Diane

• LynneinMD
    16 years ago

Maranj, I'm not sure where you are but the Bowie-Crofton Garden Club will be having it's annual plant sale at the Library in Bowie on Apr 26th. Come early and hang around, you'll end up with LOTS of goodies. They go fast, though.

And since I was the new gardener last year, I can tell you from experience that if you go to the spring swap at Gardengranma's, you'll come home with PLENTY to play with. =)

Lynne

• kaffeina
    16 years ago

lynn i can't believe you are a new gardener :)

• LynneinMD
    16 years ago

If you're thinking LynnT, she's not a new gardener...

But if you're thinking Lynne in the big red SUV, that's me, and ummm, yeah, I'm new, but have lots of experience with shoveling... I'm just optimistic and not very picky, and that has worked well so far..!
    My mom has always had a garden so I've been around it but never had my OWN garden until we bought our house here in MD - we were either in military housing or rentals in rock-hard texas dirt (and caliche). BUT I have good news!! I may be new but I'm gonna be good =) I'm sending off my app. for the Master Gardener Program TOMORROW! Whee!

• maranj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lynneinmd, I'm in Carroll County and will keep the Bowie-Crofton Garden club sale in mind, thanks.

I'm sure it will be a few years before I'm able to harvest. I like to can stewed rhubarb. Hubby loves the stuff (I like it too) he says they ate lots of rhubarb growing up in Canada.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21