Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoobajoop

austree invasive roots

hoobajoop
16 years ago

i'm going to plant a privacy screen this spring and have been looking at thuja green giant and austree. i've read about the less desireable aspects of the austree (invasive roots, need lots of water, etc), but it seems agreed that they do grow very fast.

my property borders on a busy intersection, and i'd like a screen asap. in the long term, i'd rather have the green giants, but an effective screen (10 feet plus) would be at least 5 years away if i start with small (2-3 feet) trees.

my plan is to plant the austree as a screen, and plant small (12-16 inch @ $6 each) gg's elsewhere in my yard and transplant in a few years. i just can't pull the trigger on a dozen 6-footers at $90 each.

finally to my question... will the roots of the austree harm the growth of other trees planted about 15-20 feet away? i planted an elm last year, and will be planting a maple and some flowering tree (thinking wash. hawthorne) this year. these 3 trees will be on "our side" of the fence with the austrees on the roadside of the fence.

please offer any other advice you think may help. this is the first season we have for planting, and i'm trying to do it all (my first mistake ;).

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living