Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
busyasabee_gardenweb

Costco has J&P roses

busyasabee
19 years ago

Just went by my local Costco in Gaithersburg, and the Jackson & Perkins roses just came in. Couldn't help myself, bought the JFK & Lagerfeld. I would like to know if anyone has had experience growing these two roses in the z7 area. Any problems with these particular ones?

Comments (7)

• cynthia_gw
    19 years ago

Drat, and I belong to Sam's Club. There's one JP rose that I want and they probably don't have it anyway. It will show up at Home Depot if I spend full price and order it from J&P. Maybe I should check Sam's and Walmart this week-end perhaps they're on same schedule.

I bought Lagerfeld last year, and am giving it another chance this year. Good scent, but rangey growth pattern, so I need to do a better job pruning it this year, but from what I've read it tends to have an uneven growth pattern anyway. We'll see! Also the flowers nod down under their weight and the color on mine is ....odd almost gray.

Thanks for the head's up!

• lynnt
    19 years ago

I've not had good luck with grafted roses, I'm afraid. It only took one or two hard freezes to make me a fan of own-root roses, since they come back fine even if frozen to the ground. Check out Nick Weber's Heritage Rosarium in Brookville (Rt 108 off N Hampshire Ave well North of DC but well south of Rt 70) -- he has an open house Memorial Day weekend where you can see all manner of lovely roses in full array and buy own-root bands of them for cheap. I understand he's speaking to the Potomac Rose Society in MacLean on March 13th...

LynnT

• swifty_mcgee
    19 years ago

Here's one for JFK. One of my favorite whites/cream. If the location is rose friendly, you shouldn't have a problem. A little slow getting started, not the largest white(that's what I call it), but beautiful color and form and ours had a nice frag. If you don't like it let me know before you get rid of it. It's worth the rescue. I do not have it at our new house.

Lagerfeld, haven't had it.

• busyasabee
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Couldn't help myself, but I stumbled on a couple of J&P varieties .... Sheer Bliss & Gertrude Jekyll that I have been looking to replenish in my garden...didn't see these last month...guess they were hidden in the back.

• julia3
    19 years ago

I'm sold on own-root roses ever since my 'Iceberg' was cut down to the ground by a severe winter a couple of years ago and is not almost back to its original size.

I've been to the Heritage Rosarium a few times and I love it.

• happygardnr
    19 years ago

Does anyone have exact directions to Heritage Rosarium? I thought Brookville was 108 and GA. Ave. and that 108 and New Hampshire is Sandy Springs.

• cynthia_gw
    19 years ago

Happygardnr, The website (which is new and not quite polished up) has the address AND the 2005 list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heritage Rosarium

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions